Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID and Law Enforcement

I think all of my relatives, but for a 2nd cousin, are now retired from NYPD. That said, I fear our families in NYC, (Queens, Brooklyn) are in the heart of the maelstrom.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Our City PD has suspended their current recruit class, putting the recruits to work in administrative duties, in various substations throughout the city. The Sheriffs Office is continuing their current recruit class, with only six recruits, they think they can push through. I don't know if that's wise.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

COVID-19: How is TCSO Responding?
    Posted by Transylvania County on March 23, 2020

With everything going on in the world, our country, our state, and our local community, we want you to know that your Sheriff’s Office stands ready to serve and protect you. Here are some things we are doing to help protect you and our employees from a possible exposure to COVID-19.

Our VIPS (volunteers) have been advised to stay home. We are learning just how valuable they really are to the day to day operations. But as a high-risk population, we want to ensure their safety by asking them to stay home for now.

We are doing as much business as possible by phone. No, we are not closing the doors, but we would respectfully ask to assist us by calling rather than coming by the facility if at all possible. If not, as always, come or we will come to you if needed.

We have temporarily cancelled all facility tours and non-essential visits.

All non-essential training and travel has been cancelled or postponed.

We are practicing social distancing to the best of our ability. This can be especially difficult in our business. Interaction with our community is vital to our operations, but we are experiencing a new normal. Please don’t be offended if a deputy doesn’t shake hands or doesn’t get too close.

School Resource Officers are assisting Transylvania County Schools, along with any and all school aged students, with delivery of virtual day materials and school lunches.

We are restricting public access to the most vulnerable spaces in our facility.

To ensure services continue, we are providing “Deputy Daycare” for the children of our employees while school is not in session.

If we are experiencing any symptoms, we are staying home!

Again, it is an honor to serve you. Please bear with us and be patient, as we all are attempting to navigate these unprecedented times. Thank you so much for your cooperation, patience, and understanding.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Our City PD has suspended their current recruit class, putting the recruits to work in administrative duties, in various substations throughout the city. The Sheriffs Office is continuing their current recruit class, with only six recruits, they think they can push through. I don't know if that's wise.
    They are truncating our recruits' training, as we don't have our own EVOC track and the one we use is shut down for 8 weeks. Rumor mill says they'll be taking reports by phone, etc. until they can go back and finish up their required hours. They are getting them through the range, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

We had a Community Parole Officer come up positive in Colo. Once it gets into the prisons things will get sporty.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    They are truncating our recruits' training, as we don't have our own EVOC track and the one we use is shut down for 8 weeks. Rumor mill says they'll be taking reports by phone, etc. until they can go back and finish up their required hours. They are getting them through the range, though.
    We have 2 classes in the Academy currently. One is having their training cut short by a few weeks, to graduate early. All of the POST requirements are going to be done, itll just be the department/city mandated stuff they lose. Unfortunately, a week of Officer Survival Shooting with the SWAT guys is one of the weeks cut.

The other class has been off for the last two weeks due to two of them being Ill with a fever. They're back on April 7th.

Site Supporter
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/brookl...on-fbi-agents/

Brooklyn man arrested for hoarding masks, coughing on FBI agents

Brooklyn man claiming to be infected with the coronavirus coughed on FBI agents who were investigating him for hoarding medical supplies, the US Attorney’s Office said Monday.

Baruch Feldheim, 43, is facing charges of assault and making false statements to the feds on Sunday outside his Borough Park home where he allegedly peddled and stored massive amounts of N95 respirator masks, federal officials said.

The other day I helped draft a letter to local LE giving guidance on statutory and case law authority to enforce business closures and quarantines. There is robust authority for both here, not that it really matters with our governor's PR stunt of a "stay at home" order. FWIW, we're taking a warn -> warn harder and stare disapprovingly while strongly suggesting they should comply -> arrest/cite approach to the closure violations here.

Add this to the list of things I didn't think I'd be doing with my career when I decided to go to law school.

Arrests for things other than domestic violence, DUI, and burglaries have dropped to approximately zero, which I presume is a result of police being less proactive in these times. Reports of child abuse are, as @HCM noted, now down to summer-like levels. It's going to be an interesting several months when things open back up again.
    Last edited by ssb; 03-31-2020 at 08:13 AM.

I think this is the proper place to post this.

Organized Crime In The Time Of Corona
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I think this is the proper place to post this.

Organized Crime In The Time Of Corona
    I worked an undercover case on one of his operations in NY back in the early 80's:

“This is a perfect opportunity for scams, and some of my former associates on the street are into it right now.”

— Michael Franzese, a former capo of the Colombo crime family, to Forbes

User Tag List