Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID and Law Enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Sorry, but: Are we not doing phrasing anymore?
    For the right coin or pills, these gals will handle whatever you are into.

We just had to shut down one of our offices because a subject they had in for interrogation subsequently tested positive for Covid-19. No idea what he was being interrogated for, but we do not have the resources to have all of our visitors masked up before they enter our spaces, or even for our agents/professional staff to be masked every time we come into close contact with subjects/witnesses.

Most, if not all, agencies here have shut down their lobbies. Our patrol guys are dong rollcall through their MCT's instead of coming in but they are still stopping a few cars, etc. We are getting several calls a day in reference to different restaurants, etc. having too many people or serving food inside to patrons. Here in NC they can order and walk up to get it but the establishment cannot "serve" the patron(s). They can however, sit on the patio and eat their food as long as they maintain social distancing. By and large though, there is usually no one around when we get there... I expect this type of crap to go on for weeks.

All our training outside our agency has been cancelled to at least the end of April. As an agency, we are still doing our in-service as most of our group sizes are less than 20 per class or the class in online.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    For the right coin or pills, these gals will handle whatever you are into.
    I have some Mucinex...

Police impersonators

I was walking the dogs early this morning in our upper-middle-class, very low crime Portland neighborhood, and had just stopped to chat with a neighbor (at a COVID-safe distance), when I saw a patrol car approaching slowly. It had a spotlight and no light bar. I waved a greeting (as we typically do when LE comes by) then I saw that it had lots of flaked off paint on the hood, and no insignia. The windows were tinted, so I couldn't get a good look at the driver, but he was obviously looking at houses. The whole thing was definitely out of place, and got me thinking about police impersonators. No way would someone mistake that vehicle for a real police car--during the daytime. At night, this guy could totally pull it off.

I'm wondering if y'all think police impersonators are a greater threat during the pandemic? What advice do you have for civilians?
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-20-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was walking the dogs early this morning in our upper-middle-class, very low crime Portland neighborhood, and had just stopped to chat with a neighbor (at a COVID-safe distance), when I saw a patrol car approaching slowly. It had a spotlight and no light bar. I waved a greeting (as we typically do when LE comes by) when I saw that it had lots of flaked off paint on the hood, and no insignia. The windows were tinted, so I couldn't get a good look at the driver, but he was obviously looking at houses. The whole thing was definitely out of place, and got me thinking about police impersonators. No way would someone mistake that vehicle for a real police car--during the daytime. At night, this guy could totally pull it off.

I'm wondering if y'all think police impersonators are a greater threat during the pandemic? What advice do you have for civilians?

You have a valid concern.

As far as what to do. If you can call 911/non emergency line, if they are pulling you over or they are at your house. Explain who you are , where you are and that you want comply but are concerned about a police impersonating criminal.

Hopefully others with even better advice will come along.

Could very well be casing the area. Well done, CF, being alert to the possible subterfuge.

It's certainly not a tactic we haven't seen before.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was walking the dogs early this morning in our upper-middle-class, very low crime Portland neighborhood, and had just stopped to chat with a neighbor (at a COVID-safe distance), when I saw a patrol car approaching slowly. It had a spotlight and no light bar. I waved a greeting (as we typically do when LE comes by) then I saw that it had lots of flaked off paint on the hood, and no insignia. The windows were tinted, so I couldn't get a good look at the driver, but he was obviously looking at houses. The whole thing was definitely out of place, and got me thinking about police impersonators. No way would someone mistake that vehicle for a real police car--during the daytime. At night, this guy could totally pull it off.

There have already been reports of crooks in FL and Northern CA putting on scrubs and lab coats and claiming to be public health officials to gain access to homes. We will see more of it. Never let a crisis go to waste.

Ex-cop cars are popular among the Thug Life crowd. I see a former cop car like the one you described I think thug before police impersonator. Burglars normally hit houses in the day time when no one is home. The whole quarantine thing has to be making life hard for them. Likely casing targets. Get a plate and call it in to 911 as a suspicious vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There have already been reports of crooks in FL and Northern CA putting on scrubs and lab coats and claiming to be public health officials to gain access to homes. We will see more of it. Never let a crisi go to waste.

Ex-cop cars are popular among the Thug Life crowd. I see a former cop car like the one you described I think thug before police impersonator.
    ^^^this was my first thought.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    ^^^this was my first thought.
    X 10 if they have the little crown air freshener on the front or rear dash....

User Tag List