Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID and Law Enforcement

State police isn’t stopping cars unless there is a clearly articulable public safety risk such as a BOLO suspect or likely DUI. The jail we were taking our arrestees to is no longer accepting federal inmates. The federal court has postponed all jury trials, civil and criminal. I heard a rumor that all personnel of a different agency have begun teleworking full time. My household hopefully has enough TP to last us a while.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Kind thoughts from the Bangor, ME PD:

Bangor Maine Police Department
    14 hrs ·
    Cops are tuned to try to take care of problems. You might not get that in your rare interaction with police, but, that's truly what drives many of us.
    This mess is not something that we spend much time preparing for; we're not doctors, nurses, epidemiologists, and we are definitely not science driven. We are people driven, and a problem is a problem whether seen or unseen. We are currently working against an unseen enemy, and it's making people sick. When you are not sick, you surely are nervous. We get it.
    Still, we show up, try to do our best, and hope that we can aid those who are science-driven when the big problems arise.
    Today, we worked on making sure our officers equipped with the things that will make our job safer if we are called to action to aid with the logistics in any future outbreak of the coronavirus.
    If you see our police officers at drive-in testing areas, we are there to make sure that traffic flows nicely, we are not looking at you for any other reason. Feel safe to pull in, and get the testing you need. We might wave, we might not, but it's not because we are up to something.
    I want to tell you that I also watch other Facebook pages, I don't really want to, but I feel it's part of my job.
    If you have a Facebook page that alludes to the fact that the cops are part of the upcoming dark takeover of the United States; Tim Cotton is here to tell you that he will not be involved. I have lots of other stuff to do, I need some eggs, but I can work with the toast and peanut butter for a while.
    I wanted some bacon, but that was gone, so, I had an orange this morning, and I will get some bacon soon, I am sure. You see, the cops are part of the community, and we have no interest in stopping you from living your best life. FYI- that's what WE are trying to do.
    The cops I know are having a hard time finding toilet paper, too. We have families, we have concerns, and the New World Order that you claim is being ushered in by the virus, and the helicopters, and United Nations locking you in your homes in order to have you fall in line has not contacted us...yet.
    I will be the first one to tell you if they call, but, I will assume it's just another guy who is trying to help me get my car warranty straightened out. I had no idea it was about to expire.
    Listen, if you are elderly, or a shut in, and you don't have family or friends to call to help you out in these unsettling days, call us. We will do what we can, or we will put you in touch with someone better suited to help you. I mean it. I don't care if your car is unregistered, or if you have an outstanding warrant from fishing without a license in 1972. Our cops are unconcerned about he tiny little things right now, we want you to be safe, feel cared for, and to feel happy that you live in Bangor. We can get back to that stupid stuff when we come out on the other side, and we will.
    Call us, 207-947-7384. Kind dispatchers will answer, and we will send a cop if it is something that we can handle. If not, we will work to find someone who can.
    You have my word. That's all I have, because I am even saving my empty toilet paper rolls; you know, just in case.

I was thinking that one of my favorite Bruce Hornsby songs might fit well here, so, here are the lyrics, and, if you feel like listening you can click the link.
    If you are reading this, we all made it through another day. That's a good thing, because we can look forward to doing it again tomorrow.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.
    We will be here.
    Lt. Tim Cotton
    Bangor Police Department
    "Everything comes and goes
    You try to believe but you never know
    Anyway the wind blows
    Somewhere, sometime
    I will walk with you
    There's always another wall
    Sometimes you feel so small
    You could pick me up when I fall
    Be the one to help me through it all
    Be there when I call"
    https://youtu.be/zF5UDeHk3Is

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Locally, many agencies taking a "no in-person response to non-urgent calls" position, cold reports and the like can be done on phone. "Yes, ma'am, I understand they took your lawn flamingo and you are really mad about that, I would be too, but we really can't send an officer out on that right now."
    I just issued a similar directive yesterday evening to my department.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I just issued a similar directive yesterday evening to my department.
    They haven't enacted that here but a deputy I know in MT said his department is doing same.

I actually think the increase of people staying home as reduced break-ins of homes and vehicles. I haven't heard the ghetto bird in over a week.

Jails don't have to be nasty. In fact, to quote a now passed Sheriff, "There ain't no excuse for a nasty jail.". If your jail is nasty, you have a staff problem and/or a management problem.

In our jail, any inmate who does not participate in cleaning, sweeping, mopping, etc, is given another opportunity to help keep the facility clean when their cell door finally opens again in three days. Inmates on lock down don't get to go to the exercise year. The kiosk to order commissary items is in the exercise yard.

To again quote the now passed Sheriff, "If you don't have consequences, you don't have control.".

With all of the above being written, we have closed the lobby. Folks needing copies of reports are receiving them via email, fax, or snail mail. Our visitation is all by video phone, but we have stopped that to keep the visitors out of the jail lobby. Inmates are receiving one free phone call per week (they have to pay for phone time usually). All religious services have been stopped. Inmates may watch religious videos or read printed materials.

Any new inmate coming into the jail is being held in a separate pod until cleared by medical. We're making custodial arrest if necessary, but we can handle everything else via an arrest warrant later if necessary.

So far, we have not had any issues with the public other than runs on the grocery stores. As long as our people are able to get food and basic supplies, even if they have to skimp a little, we'll be fine. Some of the surrounding areas may get sporty though.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

So far, business as usual except for no jail visitation.

To date, there are zero confirmed cases in the Coastal Bend.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    And then many departments are understaffed to start with. Once officers themselves become sick, this situation will be worse. With less contact, citizens will lose opportunities to complain. My guess is that dispatchers will now bear this burden more than before.

I wonder if reserve officers will step up and shoulder additional responsibility. They should.

In dealing with idle teenagers community volunteers should organize to help manage these hordes. In the past when there was a curfew on teens, minority leaders complained that minority kids were over represented in citations. Having worked 16 years in the inner city community, I can say that these kids were cited because they were out and about. So to avoid tension and blame, perhaps church groups can assist in managing young people in their neighborhoods. Minority volunteers would be working with minority children.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...id-coronavirus

Looks like similar practice takes place all over the country.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    We've now completely cancelled roll calls and in-service training. No change in how we respond to runs or what type is handled by PAO (civilian report takers) over the phone vs officer response.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

They asked us our glove size today........which shows how out of touch admin is......because my merry band of squad mates have been buying their own gloves and sanitizer for years.

So we gave them our sizes......which they wrote down......to give to supply...which will have to fill out purchase orders.....which.....well.....I'm sure we will see these things in 6-8 weeks.

The calls for service have been super light. We're coping by hitting up local gun stores and looking at toys.

User Tag List