Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP revolvers?

Moonclips bend a lot easier than mags.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    What did you dislike in the Redhawk ergonomics? Handling them in gun shops they've felt fine.

Then again there's some things you only learn by firing. For instance, Colt 1917's have a hump in the frame. If I adopt my usual high grip that hump hammers the nerve cluster right above my thumb webbing. Makes itself felt with authority more so than a lot of big bore magnums I've shot. On those I've found a grip adaptor forces the hand down just enough to avoid the hump.
    For DA work, the Redhawk trigger is long and heavy.

I love it for SA shooting of .44 magnum-class loads.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    In all the years I've owned 45 ACP revolvers I've only had one Moonmclip get bent. That was during a match when the RO stepped on one of my empties before I could recover it. YMMV!

Dave

Even really good moonies are about the cheapest ammo carriers available, and checking for bent clips is fairly easy. Retract the hammer until the cylinder freespins. If it doesn’t, switch out that clip.

I wouldn’t just dump one in the front pocket of a pair of tight jeans, but they’re not “that” fragile if they’re made from decent stock and treated right. They can bounce around in a coat pocket or in a belt pouch without issue.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

I know you are looking for a DA/SA revolver. I bought a Ruger single action revolver, model 0472. It's a convertible with a 45LC and 45ACP cylinder. It is a heavy revolver. I watched too many episodes of Gunsmoke and a craving came over me. This Ruger is what I settled on. Happy with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Be prepared to handload .45 AR.

Factory ammo, if you can find it, will be very pricey.

You can shoot ACP without clips and punch them out. I pluck then out with fingernails on my 625.
    I recommend you check the chambers on your revolver if you want to go sans clips. I bought a 625 Model of 1988 the first year and shot it lots with no clips. 20 years later I sold a fellow a new 625 and mentioned that he could shoot it without clips. Had to eat some crow because not only were most of the chambers cut too deep for the firing pin to strike the primers but the owners manual actually specified that you need to use clips!
    Last edited by Oldherkpilot; 03-16-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I know you are looking for a DA/SA revolver. I bought a Ruger single action revolver, model 0472. It's a convertible with a 45LC and 45ACP cylinder. It is a heavy revolver. I watched too many episodes of Gunsmoke and a craving came over me. This Ruger is what I settled on. Happy with my purchase.
    First gun I ever bought was a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag, so I've definitely considered going that route. Problem is, IF I went that route, I'd want a Bisley, and they're hard to find, period, but especially hard configured the way I'd like, i.e. blued with a ~6" barrel. And the truth is, I really have no need for a .45 LC, why burn the extra powder for just target shooting? .45 ACP is more than enough for anything I'm likely to need a handgun for, and if it's not, I'm either in a world or hurt or I need one of my rifles .

Some beautiful guns posted here, that 25 at Summit really got me drooling all over my keyboard. Someone commented it was over priced, that doesn't seem to be the case based on what I see posted on Gun Broker. Moot point, I can't swing it right now anyway, gotta get that CZ sold before I start shopping seriously. Speaking of which, it would probably sell a lot faster if I actually got around to posting it, guess I better go work on an ad . Later.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yeah, and I can buy 15 of them for the cost of one magazine. Maybe more, depending on the mag.

I only use them for competition, and they're easy to check.

My comment was in response to: "I will never understand the objection and rejection of Moonclip use when the same folks will fool around with a stack of magazines every time they go to the range."

I don't care if you use moonclips.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Total thread diversion, but one of my dream revolvers would be a .45 ACP N frame with the 547-style extraction system. Make mine 4” heavy barrel fixed sights, please.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List