Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP revolvers?

.45 ACP revolvers?

So despite my love of the .45 ACP, I've always shied away from revolvers in this caliber due to the need for moon clips. Dumb, maybe, but it's always been a non-starter for me. But then someone said the magic words, ".45 Auto Rim", and now I'm jonesing bad .

So in current production DA/SA guns worth buying, it looks like my choices are either a S&W 625 or a Ruger Redhawk. My chances of being able to handle either before buying are slim at best, and forget about actually shooting one. Purpose will be strictly range toy for practicing my DA shooting, maybe backup nightstand gun. I already load for .45 ACP, one of the reasons this just jumped to the top of my "gotta have it" list, any other caliber revolver will mean adding something new to the loading list.

So based on the above, it's time for that most dreaded of questions, which do I get, and why? That said, if there are other options I've missed, I'd be happy to hear about them, too. Appreciate any input, thanks.

Dave

Site Supporter
    I have owned several including 1917 Smith and Colt revolvers. I recommend the S&W option. If you own no single actions, I urge you to look at Ruger's convertible offering with two cylinders: .45 Colt and .45 ACP. You can cheaply shoot the ACP without having to use nuisance moon clips or the scarce .45 Auto Rim case.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have owned several including 1917 Smith and Colt revolvers. I recommend the S&W option. If you own no single actions, I urge you to look at Ruger's convertible offering with two cylinders: .45 Colt and .45 ACP. You can cheaply shoot the ACP without having to use nuisance moon clips or the scarce .45 Auto Rim case.
    Only argument against a Ruger SA is that my primary purpose is to be able to work on my DA shooting for my DA/SA autos. And .45 AR cases are readily available from Starline Brass, at a price that seems reasonable to me. But thanks for the lean toward S&W, I was leaning that way anyway, I just think they're more attractive than the Ruger. Later.

Dave

How about a little enabling. Only $950 at Summit

Name:  130348642.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  33.7 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Or, if you want something a bit more targety:
    Name:  132897391.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  33.5 KB

$995 at Summit
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    How about a little enabling. Only $950 at Summit

Name:  130348642.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  33.7 KB
    Pretty, but I want a longer barrel, range toy, remember? 4" minimum, and 6" would be ideal. But keep enabling !

Dave

Site Supporter
    I have 45 Auto Rim factory ammo from yesteryear and unfired Auto Rim brass for my Model 25 bought in 1971. In process of giving away and selling a lifetime hoard of stuff. PM me when you get the Smith. I don't remember quantities but will make you a deal you can't refuse. I'm tired of stumbling over it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Pretty, but I want a longer barrel, range toy, remember? 4" minimum, and 6" would be ideal. But keep enabling !

Dave
    Believe me when I say you should buy this revolver, and this is from a guy who has owned all the old stuff 2 or 3 times. It ain't cheap, but neither is what you plan to buy. The weight and fine action on this revolver will allow you to shoot with target accuracy. It will always bring a premium if sold later. Not so the MiM wonder that you might end up with. I hesitate to give this type advice because many have no idea about what I am saying. Comment not aimed at you.

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post

Dave
    Then the second option would be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Or, if you want something a bit more targety:
    Name:  132897391.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  33.5 KB

$995 at Summit

For versatility the Redhawk version that can shoot both 45 ACP from clips and also 45 Long Colt might be hard to beat. They are supposed to be able to take pretty hot 45 Long Colt loads while still using 45 ACP for cheaper plinking, etc. Looked at them a few times but the Ruger trigger is just not as good as a Smith. I've backed away from buying every time I've handled one and felt the trigger. Still, if I didn't have multiple other 45 ACP revolvers I'd probably go with the Ruger and maybe pony up for an action job.

On clips - I've got thousands on thousands of rounds through clip fed 45 ACP revolvers. The only problem I've ever had was a pair of stainless clips that were slightly oversized and dragging in a 1917 cylinder. Otherwise never an issue at the range. The GI type half moons do wear over time and start holding cartridges too loosely when loading them. They are cheaply replaced though. The old style full moons have a lot of structural rigidity and I haven't had to replace one yet.

45 ACP revolvers are fun big bores. Welcome down the rabbit hole!

User Tag List