Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Total thread diversion, but one of my dream revolvers would be a .45 ACP N frame with the 547-style extraction system. Make mine 4” heavy barrel fixed sights, please.
    I want a 4”-5” moonclipped Webley for lots of not real good reasons.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I had one for the older 4" 625's back in the 1990's. Sold it. Wish I hadn't. It was a really nice revolver with a decent action from the factory.

IMO, there are a couple points against these guns. First, it's an N-frame. It's HUGE and HEAVY compared to, say, a lightweight Commander. Secondly, reloading is an all or nothing proposition. You don't have the option of firing, say, two rounds and then replacing just those fired cases with a couple rounds from loops or a 2x2x2 pouch. If you dump the entire moon clip, reload, and save the partially expended moon clip, it does you no good. You can't get the partial moon clip back in the cylinder if you need those rounds later.

It's kind of like a Garand in that regard. If you're down a couple rounds and you want a full gun before you proceed, you can't do it without essentially dumping the ammo that's in the partially loaded gun.

A revolver that uses rimmed cartridges doesn't have this disadvantage. It might be a little slower to speedload than a full moon clip gun, but I think it's the better choice.

Rosco

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    I had one for the older 4" 625's back in the 1990's. Sold it. Wish I hadn't. It was a really nice revolver with a decent action from the factory.

IMO, there are a couple points against these guns. First, it's an N-frame. It's HUGE and HEAVY compared to, say, a lightweight Commander. Secondly, reloading is an all or nothing proposition. You don't have the option of firing, say, two rounds and then replacing just those fired cases with a couple rounds from loops or a 2x2x2 pouch. If you dump the entire moon clip, reload, and save the partially expended moon clip, it does you no good. You can't get the partial moon clip back in the cylinder if you need those rounds later.

It's kind of like a Garand in that regard. If you're down a couple rounds and you want a full gun before you proceed, you can't do it without essentially dumping the ammo that's in the partially loaded gun.

A revolver that uses rimmed cartridges doesn't have this disadvantage. It might be a little slower to speedload than a full moon clip gun, but I think it's the better choice.

Rosco
    Which is where .45 Auto Rim cases come in . I'd never quite gotten to what you were just talking about, but like I said in my OP, getting schooled on the .45 AR brass is what finally tipped the scales for me. I LOVE the .45 ACP, easy to load, lots of good bullets, economical on powder compared to most of the other big bore pistol cartridges, and just a pleasure to shoot, at least in the guns I've used in this caliber, the lightest of which is my Sig P220R, at about 36 oz. with 8 rounds on board, I rarely load +1. My other .45, a CZ 97 BD, is a bit of a behemoth, bigger over all, steel frame, 10 round capacity, that comes in at about 47 oz., or about the same as a full size 1911, the only other guns I've owned in .45 ACP. Don't know that I'd like it nearly as much in a light weight gun.

Anyway, thanks to all you enablers , I put in a bid on a 625 "Model of 1989" last night, auction closes in a couple of hours, so we'll see. I really wanted a blued 6" gun, but the pricing was kind of out of reach, so if my only other choice is a 5" barrel and stainless steel, well, as long as it's got a full under lug, I guess I can live with it . Of course, I've never done this before, so who knows if I'll win the bid. If so, I better get busy selling my 97 . Wish me luck, guys, will update if I win it. Later.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    How about a little enabling. Only $950 at Summit

Attachment 49937
    Oh FUCK you. I did not need to see that while I'm social distancing. My brain is all "it's just a grand...I could totally afford that..."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Oh FUCK you. I did not need to see that while I'm social distancing. My brain is all "it's just a grand...I could totally afford that..."
    It's not like you're out socializing, spending money on movies, dinners, etc. You could pay that grand off real quick.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It's not like you're out socializing, spending money on movies, dinners, etc. You could pay that grand off real quick.

Chris
    You are oh so correct! He could then post a host of videos shooting that fine revolver~!
    Johnny Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    You are oh so correct! He could then post a host of videos shooting that fine revolver~!
    Well, once I get to go play outside again. Since they cancelled my season opener match, I'm not doing any live fire training until probably mid April now.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Well, once I get to go play outside again. Since they cancelled my season opener match, I'm not doing any live fire training until probably mid April now.
    Well shit the bed...
    Johnny Walker

I will probably get MORE practice as ammo and component availability allows.
    The nearest outdoor range is sparsely attended, seldom see anybody there on a weekday.
    I was there today with one friend tweaking his PCC and ammo. Nobody else in sight.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I will probably get MORE practice as ammo and component availability allows.
    The nearest outdoor range is sparsely attended, seldom see anybody there on a weekday.
    I was there today with one friend tweaking his PCC and ammo. Nobody else in sight.
    For the first time in 20 years, I wish I lived in a rural area again. Living in a major metropolitan area, in a high rise building at that, there is no way for me to effectively practice social distancing and continue to live fire train. Just to get to the car I have to ride a public elevator and touch a public door, then there's checking in at the range (another door), touching target stands, steel, etc. Then do all that in reverse on the way home, and god forbid I have to do something like stop for gas or a snack.

I am trying to treat this like I already have the virus and I'm trying to not give it to other people, so the smartest thing to do for now is just...sit here and type. And dry fire.

User Tag List