Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you buy a twenty-five year old or more Dillon RL1050?

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    You're going to make enough money on OT with this Coronavirus thing to pay the extra $500 for a new 1050 and case/bulletfeedeers. It's only $500-700 more for new, and that's 5-7 hours of OT. BOOM! No worries about worn out presses and a new machine..
    Not here.

So far we are working in an emergency schedule with 7 12 hour shifts on, followed by two weeks off. All OT gigs have been cancelled. I'm on straight time pay for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Not here.

So far we are working in an emergency schedule with 7 12 hour shifts on, followed by two weeks off. All OT gigs have been cancelled. I'm on straight time pay for the foreseeable future.
    Wait till your government entity declares an emergency and the Federal OT dollars start flowing. I'm not a betting man, but the stupidity I've seen at Costco and supermarkets so far leads me to believe the jack-assery will escalate because, "Muh, TP, muh water!" Our EOC is open and a declaration is imminent.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I'm thinking of buying an old RL1050 to setup to load 9mm (I use a 550B for multiple calibers right now).

It would come with an older Mr. Bullet Feeder and one of the older aftermarket electric drives (AmmoBot I think).

Would $1k shipped for at least the RL1050 and bullet feeder be a decent deal worth the risk of buying it without seeing and testing it?
    You might ask Dillon about their service policy on this model and how much does "refurbishing" one cost.

If you got the press for 1K you'd probably do OK. Casefeeders are electric and can crap out and cost about $250. Last I knew refurb for a 1050 was $185 plus parts. It'd almost be tempting to buy it for 1K and just have him mail it to dillon. You might have $1300 refurbed press. Buy a new bulletfeeder and you'd have a nice set up for $1800 vs. $2500. If the casefeeder dies you'd be over 2K though...

I think there were some old Mr. Bulletfeeders that mounted to the bench and were kind of a huge contraption relative to the new ones. I wouldn't pay $400 for one when the new ones are $469, and again you are buying an electric machine that can just die at any moment.

I have a 30 year old RL1050 that still works okay. I leave it set up for 9mm.

I might buy the press only if all the parts are there. If you have to buy parts to get it working it will not be cost worthy.

User Tag List