Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a twenty-five year old or more Dillon RL1050?

Would you buy a twenty-five year old or more Dillon RL1050?

I'm thinking of buying an old RL1050 to setup to load 9mm (I use a 550B for multiple calibers right now).

It would come with an older Mr. Bullet Feeder and one of the older aftermarket electric drives (AmmoBot I think).

Would $1k shipped for at least the RL1050 and bullet feeder be a decent deal worth the risk of buying it without seeing and testing it?

I’d do it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I'm thinking of buying an old RL1050 to setup to load 9mm (I use a 550B for multiple calibers right now).

It would come with an older Mr. Bullet Feeder and one of the older aftermarket electric drives (AmmoBot I think).

Would $1k shipped for at least the RL1050 and bullet feeder be a decent deal worth the risk of buying it without seeing and testing it?
    So it turns out its just the press (with a 9mm shell plate) and the case feeder.

He wants $400 for the bulletfeeder and $750 for the drive.

Still a decent deal?

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    So it turns out its just the press (with a 9mm shell plate) and the case feeder.

He wants $400 for the bulletfeeder and $750 for the drive.

Still a decent deal?
    So, the total is $1150? Confirmed on the drive brand?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    So, the total is $1150? Confirmed on the drive brand?
    RL 1050=$1000
    Mr. Bulletfeeder = $400
    AmmoBot v1 = $750

I'm not really interested in the AmmoBot, I am interested in the Bulletfeeder, but they're around $460 new aren't they?

The problem I would have is this:

The Super 1050 and RL1100 are both $2,000.00 (on Dillons site) In view of the fact that Dillon's doesn't offer their forever warranty on the commercial style presses, I'd be hard pressed to pay a grand for a machine that is, per your post, over a quarter century old. Add to this the fact that it has been used with an ammobot for some of that time and I think you may be asking for headaches.

Of course your post doesn't have much in specifics, if it has been recently overhauled by Dillon that might make a difference, etc.

Mr. Bulletfeeders run $470 to $499 (on the Dillon's site) Your post doesn't say how old the Mr. Bulletfeeder is, just that it is one of the older ones. It is my impression from talking with a couple of guys who had them, and reading Dillon's site, that earlier models were temperamental. In this case a 15% savings (for 9mm) wouldn't seem to be a particularly good deal.

JMO perhaps worth exactly what you paid.

I wouldn't drop the coin for the old ammobot and mrbullet feeder, but would definitely be interested in the press. Sounds as if its an old commercial brass prep or loading setup. Hopefully, the seller is honest and will give you an accurate round count but I would plan on buying some replacement parts simply due to age and knowing its been automated. Dillon still fully supports the 1050 so you'll have no issue getting parts, but they won't be free.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Probably a good deal for a 1050, but you would probably be spending the same or more compared to getting a brand new 750.

I have no 1050 experience but went from the 550 to the 650. IMO the indexing and case feed are the big gains, and a bullet feeder could be added. You would give up primer swaging, and that could be a consideration.

Is the thing local so you could see it and maybe run it?

IMO having a 750 sitting there ready to do your nine and a 550 covering all other bases would be a nice setup. Others with actual 1050 experience might tell me to get back in my lane

I have an old 1050 with a casefeeder. I think I paid $800 four years ago and it came with a 223 and 45ACP conversion kit with dies, and a bunch of spare parts. It's a little worn but runs well enough. I leave it setup for 223 and use a 650 for 9mm. If you are only going to be loading pistol ammo, then I would just get a 650/750 setup with a casefeeder.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

You're going to make enough money on OT with this Coronavirus thing to pay the extra $500 for a new 1050 and case/bulletfeedeers. It's only $500-700 more for new, and that's 5-7 hours of OT. BOOM! No worries about worn out presses and a new machine..

User Tag List