Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No, you can't come to my house...

No, you can't come to my house...

Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Nothing like that happening where I live. As a matter of fact my wife just got a text from the woman that cleans our house. She was stranded at the grocery store as the bus stops running at 5 PM. My wife drove 35 miles to pick her up and take her and her daughter home. She doesn't have a car so she relies on the bus service. Not sure what her predicament was but my wife stepped up and helped her out. I would have gone but I've had a few drinks and I don't drink and drive.

We're trying to help out wherever we can during this crises and believe me when I say it's a crises. Things are going to turn to shit here real soon and people are going to need some help. Help people out whenever can.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I always think the reasoning featured in these articles (I'll admit I skimmed one and then decided I was so important I could just start opining without further research so this may not apply here, if not I apologize) is really aimed at engineers who think they should be talking to other engineers. The reasoning is always so formal, like you should explain to people these principles as reasoned out by Superman. No, citizen, your plan is will put the others at risk. You must not.

I take a totally different approach. I like to swivel around in my chair, lean back, and narrow my eyes, nodding slowly as I think to myself.

"What's the most valuable thing you have?" I'll say.

And unless they say something like "my '66 GTO" in which case I'll say "bring the pink slip and come whenever you want", I'll say, "no, I mean valuable to ME. Like, what could you be holding over your head that I'd be able to recognize at, say, five hundred metres? You don't have a super hot daughter or anything do you?"

When they get testy, I say "you really seem like someone that should be stockpiling your own supplies. You're super protective of that daughter, you're going to hate trading her to someone like me just to get some penicillin for one of your other kids."

That seems to perform the dual function of "go away" and "wake up." It's a terrible lesson, packaged up nicely with my ever-popular "wait, is this guy serious or not" charm that I'm medium-sure at least several people have appreciated.

Granted, I work with people who are used to my extremely dark sense of humour. If you say this in a place with an actual HR department I assume you'll be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I always think the reasoning featured in these articles (I'll admit I skimmed one and then decided I was so important I could just start opining without further research so this may not apply here, if not I apologize) is really aimed at engineers who think they should be talking to other engineers. The reasoning is always so formal, like you should explain to people these principles as reasoned out by Superman. No, citizen, your plan is will put the others at risk. You must not.

I take a totally different approach. I like to swivel around in my chair, lean back, and narrow my eyes, nodding slowly as I think to myself.

"What's the most valuable thing you have?" I'll say.

And unless they say something like "my '66 GTO" in which case I'll say "bring the pink slip and come whenever you want", I'll say, "no, I mean valuable to ME. Like, what could you be holding over your head that I'd be able to recognize at, say, five hundred metres? You don't have a super hot daughter or anything do you?"

When they get testy, I say "you really seem like someone that should be stockpiling your own supplies. You're super protective of that daughter, you're going to hate trading her to someone like me just to get some penicillin for one of your other kids."

That seems to perform the dual function of "go away" and "wake up." It's a terrible lesson, packaged up nicely with my ever-popular "wait, is this guy serious or not" charm that I'm medium-sure at least several people have appreciated.

Granted, I work with people who are used to my extremely dark sense of humour. If you say this in a place with an actual HR department I assume you'll be fired.
    I love you, man. No homo.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I love you, man. No homo.

Okie John
    He gives me hope for #FrostBacks .
    #RESIST

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    On a local FB page, people are freaking out about which stores still have TP, paper towels, soup, canned goods, bottled water, etc.

I’ve refrained from saying they should have this on hand already, because I don’t want them to know that I do.

I have a few packs of TP at my shop, and cases of water. If I posted that on FB, I would not be at all surprised if some shitbird broke in and stole it.

Sooo,... remind me... where, exactly, is your shop?

Site Supporter
    Had a conversation in the gun store with the clerk. The point was will you trade ammo for TP when your wife demands it. Will the man with TP or ammo be merchant king?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    In the current flavor of end times, this line of thinking is entirely wrong, in my opinion.

Let me ask you this.

The physicians and nurses who are manning our hospitals - what are YOU going to bring them? Besides your sweaty, feverish, satting 90% on room air self?

Money? Food? TP? 5.56? Sorry, are you bringing enough for the resident, the attending, the student who's going to be made to bag you, the 3-8 different nurses you may have, the respiratory tech, the housekeeping staff? Enough to compensate them for the triple overtime shifts they're pulling? The risk they take of exposing themselves and their families to the virus? The answer is no, because in extremis, the only thing keeping any of us there is our commitment to the profession and to our society.

Right now is a time for collective, community support for one another. It means suppressing those Ayn Rand fever dreams for two minutes and realizing that if you take this selfish line of thinking to its logical extreme, there will be no doctors and nurses in the hospitals, no police or fire or EMS on the roads. No new anti virals, no vaccine, no society.

If shit gets to that point then sure, whatever, all bets are off. But if embracing this attitude too readily is a losing game of the Prisoner's dilemma.

Help out your fucking neighbors guys. Don't be an asshole. If I get called on to risk my health and safety to go to the hospital and be a pair of hands in a time of crisis, then you can share your toilet paper. OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Had a conversation in the gun store with the clerk. The point was will you trade ammo for TP when your wife demands it. Will the man with TP or ammo be merchant king?
    I have a lot of both and I'm not trading any of it. Mostly I just give stuff away if people need it. Or trade labor and expertise. That works well in a rural community. Learned that from my dad growing up in a small farming community.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-15-2020 at 09:01 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List