Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My hometown - officer charged in fatal shooting

My hometown - officer charged in fatal shooting

This happened less than 10 minutes from my house, along the route I often take to/from the office. The officer is a member of my local PD. Over the years I’ve had several professional interactions with the DA (before he was DA), and have bumped into him on many occasions since he became DA. He is an excellent lawyer and a very fine guy who has never come across as a headline chaser or an appeaser of the mob.

In summary, an apparently hopped up musclehead was running around in the middle of a busy boulevard banging and jumping on cars, including a police car. The officer (a rookie) got out of the car, drew as the guy was about 25 feet away, and repeatedly ordered him to get on the ground. The guy’s hands were visible and he didn’t appear to be holding anything, but he kept moving towards the officer, and as he got to within 5-10 feet the officer fired several shots and killed him.

Me, I see a very big guy who although not obviously armed is behaving erratically and disregarding clear instructions from a cop pointing a gun at him by continuing to approach the cop. I also see the cop’s grieving family members at his funeral because he hesitated an instant too long and was stabbed to death or had his neck broken.

I confess I’m surprised that the officer was charged, and a little out of sorts as a result. But there are lots of people here who can offer much more informed opinions than I can. The events were captured on a cellphone video, which is included in the story linked below. What do you all think?

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/m...807-story.html

The question I have is what was the officers training?

If it was “admin minimum” , being a vet and current National Guard officer he’d have defaulted to military ROE under stress vs what his departments limited training would advocate .In a combat zone with an unknown and erratic subject , his actions would be quite proper under normal military ROE.

If his departments training wasn’t up to snuff, that would explain the relatively quick decision for criminal charges.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    I’m local too and I am watching this case with interest

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The question I have is what was the officers training?

If it was “admin minimum” , being a vet and current National Guard officer he’d have defaulted to military ROE under stress vs what his departments limited training would advocate .In a combat zone with an unknown and erratic subject , his actions would be quite proper under normal military ROE.

If his departments training wasn’t up to snuff, that would explain the relatively quick decision for criminal charges.
    Shooting an unarmed, agitated person walking towards you wasn't in any ROE that I ever saw in the military....

....an organization that overhelmingly has more restrictive ROE policies than the constitutional standards used by US law enforcement.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

http://www.wfmz.com/news/lehigh-vall...ing/778500097#
    "Although not necessary to the making of the system, Roselle could have engaged Santos physically and he was also equipped with a baton, pepper spray, and a tazer,"

Name:  mc-1533662921-xt8s00hs2r-snap-image.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  32.5 KB

Yeah...not without a lot of backup

Also watching this with interest.

Site Supporter
    Also watching with interest...

"Unarmed latino man"

looooooooool this fucking mental country. That guy starts a fight with me in a bar my 165 pound twig ass is shooting.
    Last edited by Peally; 08-08-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Article claims the deceased had prior drug problems. Didn’t see anything in the article that indicates any toxicology findings. Based on the guy’s behavior though, I’d be willing to bet he was hopped up on something at the time of the incident.

So we have a likely doped up guy doing stupid things in traffic and eventually advancing on a line officer with a firearm pointed at him. Could he have used less-lethal? Sure, but how often have we seen incidents where tasers have failed to incapacitate even the folks who are not on drugs? I surmise it would’ve done little more than piss the deceased off and made him more eager to fight the officer. We’ve had at least two recent incidents I can recall of an “unarmed” subject wrestling a gun from an officer and killing them with their own service weapon.

Could he have tactically danced around his cruiser until backup swooped in? Maybe. Doubt the outcome might’ve changed much.

Seems another witch-hunt in the works. God forbid we hold the deceased accountable for his role in getting himself shot. “They didn’t have to kill him!” Yeah well the officer didn’t haven’t give the deceased a chance to kill him either.

Help keep us updated on this case please.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Yeah, this looks like one to keep an eye on as the case proceeds. Following.

So long dirtbag.

User Tag List