Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worth Upgrading from Gen 3 to Gen 5 Glock? Worth Going from .125" to 0.110" FrontSit?

I have one Gen5 17 and I like it quite a bit BUT I still prefer the triggers on my well used Gen3 Glocks. A KKM or Bar-Sto barrel that shot well (like above) and functioned reliably in a Gen3 would make me a happy boy.

Once a weapon mounted light enters the picture I'll stick with Gen4 or 5 though.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

My agency issues a mix of Gen3 19s and 19Ms.

I've carried the Gen3s and would do so without complaint, but I definitely like the 19M more. I just find it a little more refined.

If we were talking personally owned weapons, I'd do what @DanM recommended. Lacking the funds to procure a Gen 5, I'd shave the finger grooves off, stipple it or use grip tape, and swap out the sights to the Ameriglo Agents and call it good.

We have Ameriglo Agents on the 19Ms but not on the Gen 3s, and that's what I find to be the most noticeable difference in actual use of the two guns.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    If your gen3 is reliable; keep it. can you afford more guns? Get a Ruger MK .22 LR and a case of .22 (5000 rds). Get a metal framed ruger; not the polymer. The old ones are fine but a pain in the ass to dissemble/ reassemble to clean. The new ruger MKlV with the tip up frame looks nice. Then get a gen5

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Get a Ruger MK .22 LR and a case of .22 (5000 rds). Get a metal framed ruger; not the polymer. The old ones are fine but a pain in the ass to dissemble/ reassemble to clean. The new ruger MKlV with the tip up frame looks nice.
    I own a Ruger MKIII and while I enjoy shooting it but I think you would be better off with G44 or a SR-22.

IMO trigger manipulation is the biggest factor in shooting a pistol. The Ruger MK series pistols triggers are nothing like the triggers in the Glocks, HKs, S&Ws, etc that I have shot.

Site Supporter
    I think you are correct with trigger being the most important. I think a S&w 17 is a great trigger trainer. But this can get expensive quick. The trigger is different on the ruger MK but it is much more accurate than the models you mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I think you are correct with trigger being the most important. I think a S&w 17 is a great trigger trainer. But this can get expensive quick. The trigger is different on the ruger MK but it is much more accurate than the models you mentioned
    For me the hardest thing to really get the hang of was the trigger pull. I found my Ruger helped some but when going to my Glock it was a different world.

For lack of a better comparison it was like trying to hone your skills with a machete by practicing with a scalpel.

So, I'm looking at a somewhat similar dilemma. I'm going to buy a G19 to use with an Aimpoint ACRO. Living in California I'm limited to a G19.3 or pay 3x more and get a gen 5 G19 MOS.

By the time I get the new G19.3 like I want it with the front finger grooves on the frame removed, stippled grip, and the slide machined for the Aimpoint ACRO, I figure I'm well over $1000.

So, are the other upgrades on the MOS gen 5 G19 like the updated breech face cut worth an extra $200 to $300?
    If I read the Gen 5 thread correctly, the breech cut will help in not beating up the optic with the ejecting brass?

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    As far as the sight question I find that as I get older my eyes prefer a narrower front sight with a wider rear, so I get lots more light on either side. Your milage may vary.

pat
    On my Glock 21 gen 3, I have AmeriGlo Hackathorn sights. The rear is black and the front is tritium encircled by an orange ring. The front sight really pops for me. The rear sight notch is wide, allowing plenty of light on either side of the front sight. It works for my eyes.

Lots of good advice here

The Gen 5s are a bit nicer but I still primarily shoot gen 3 and gen 4 glock 19s (don't own a gen 5). If I do my part a gen 3 or gen 4 G19 will easily shoot 90+ @ 25 on a B8 (usually low 90s) I also have no issues ringing steel at 100 to 150 yards with a gen 3 or gem 4 g19 (with 509T). I plan to keep my gen 3 ans gen 4 glocks. If someone were to offer me a gen 4 g26 plus cash for my cr920 I would be very tempted.

The Gen 5s are a smidgen more accurate but is that accuracy something you need vs the money spent?

The advantage arms red dot .22 slides are great for distance shooting practice. can routinely score high 90s with that.

That said if you have the funds and it doesn't detract from soemthing else, nothing wrong with scratching the gen 5 itch.

Pony up the off-roster price for a 19.5MOS. I think I paid $1200. Yes I think it's worth it. 19.5MOS is currently one of my two allowed CA permit guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    So, I'm looking at a somewhat similar dilemma. I'm going to buy a G19 to use with an Aimpoint ACRO. Living in California I'm limited to a G19.3 or pay 3x more and get a gen 5 G19 MOS.

By the time I get the new G19.3 like I want it with the front finger grooves on the frame removed, stippled grip, and the slide machined for the Aimpoint ACRO, I figure I'm well over $1000.

So, are the other upgrades on the MOS gen 5 G19 like the updated breech face cut worth an extra $200 to $300?
    If I read the Gen 5 thread correctly, the breech cut will help in not beating up the optic with the ejecting brass?

User Tag List