Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Worth Upgrading from Gen 3 to Gen 5 Glock? Worth Going from .125" to 0.110" FrontSit?

I have grouped 1"-4" with gen 3 Glocks and don't have enough rounds through gen 5 Glocks to comment on those. I would spend your money getting your slides milled for red dots. I really doubt 4"->2" would even make much appreciable difference outside of shooting groups with slow fire. You can also always consider KKM barrels.

I had the same type of dilemma years ago:

The Gen5 is clearly superior to the Gen3 based on my observations and several thousands of rounds in training and classes.
    The Gen5 is far more accurate and slightly more reliable. The Gen3 slide will start to cycle sluggishly if unlubed after awhile, the Gen5 can pretty much go forever without being lubed.

If you are living in a ban state and find yourself having to pay an extra $500-1000 for the gun, then I would say its not worth it. But if it's an upgrade costing you $100-200 after selling your old one, that's a no brainer.

Didn't see answers related to the OP's question on sights, so I'll focus on that. I'd definitely recommend going thinner. Something in the 0.110-115" range helps and strikes a good balance. Thinner than that might be a bit too thin. Also consider a narrower rear notch to balance it. Something like a ~0.125-130 rear notch works well for a thinner front. Not sure on other brands, but Dawson, Ameriglo, and Warren Sevigny's can be found in those ranges.

Figured I should post some links since it's always a pain tracking down some of these sights. I'm assuming all black sights, no fiber or tritium.

This Ameriglo combo is exactly like the standard Defoor set for Gen1-4 (GT-504). Only difference is the 0.130" rear notch width vs. the standard Defoor 0.150". The Defoor's are great for an inexpensive option, but I've found the 0.150" notch to be just a bit wider than I prefer at distance (B8's at 25yds or whatever) for accuracy. That's more a personal failing than due to the sights.

Ameriglo Rear Sight: 0.130" notch, 0.256" height
    Ameriglo Front Sight: 0.115" width, 0.165" height

Same for this Warren Sevigny combo. Just like the standard Sevigny competition combo, but with a 0.130" rear notch, and minus the fiber front.

Warren Sevigny Rear: 0.130" notch, 0.250" height
    Warren Sevigny Front: 0.115" wide. Usually 0.215" height for G17 and down, 0.245" for G34/17L

Also:

Dawson Competition Rear: 0.125" and 0.135" notch widths available. If it was me, I'd probably go 0.135". Also, I believe the 0.250" height is close to stock.
    Dawson Front: Seventy billion options available. I'd consult them for questions as they're great to deal with.

The front vs. rear heights differ between these three groups, so you'll likely see three different zeros between them. Ameriglo and Dawson at least have a ton of options to fit most people's needs.

User Tag List