Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth Upgrading from Gen 3 to Gen 5 Glock? Worth Going from .125" to 0.110" FrontSit?

Worth Upgrading from Gen 3 to Gen 5 Glock? Worth Going from .125" to 0.110" FrontSit?

Okay so heres the deal Ive been shooting for 20 years have taken several classes over the years, one with Tom Givens a while back that I know he posts on here so Im not a complete noob but Ive never been a great shooter, just okay in my books.

One of the problems is each instructor gives something else little small detail on the fundameltnals and I would try it and add it in and wind up confusing myself. So this week I decided to pay a local guy who works at the range and usually those guys arent very good but I figured what the hell lets give it a shot and sure enough he made a small offhand grip change to me and then I was getting 3 to 4 inch groups at 25 yards repeatedly slow fire.

Okay so I dont think thats great, I think thats acceptable in my mind but Id like to get better. I know that this was just my first time changing up my grip style so with dry fire dry fire and more dry fire Ill in grain this grip thing and possibly get those groups a bit tighter and then work on speed.

So anyway heres where Im asking a hardware specific question. In reading other threads I see Gen 3 glocks are generally considered 4" guins at 25 yards and Gen 5 glocks are considered 2" guns at 25 yards. Also, it seems to me getting a thinner front sight would help me with the distance shooting.

As long as I can consistently keep getting 4" groups at 25 yards I think that means its time to consider hardware upgrades. I have several glock gen 3s that have grip undercuts and NP3 slide coatings and extended suppressor barrels threaded for my AAC tirant and I have a bunch of spare parts on hand just in case. I really dont want to upgrade to Gen 5 because then what do I do with all of my Gen 3 guns? Do I carry the Gen 5 but then the Gen 3s become backup safe queens I never shoot because they arent as good?

And if I can shrink those 4" groups down to 3" groups at 25 thats probably good enough. The main reason I am shootin slow fire at distance is to validate my fundamentals before I start working speed at closer range. So if I can get 3" groups at 25 with my Gen 3s Id be really happy.

But the front sight I think I can go thinner. Any advice there? I dont really need a front sight to take 3 to 7 yard shots. I mean yeah I use it of course but the fact that it will be "slower" to aquire the sight at that distance I dont think is a concern to me as much as havingv too wide of a front sight is a detriment to longer range shooting. I would like to try shooting steel out to 50 and 100 in the near future.

So really to sum it up I am asking two questions. Should I bother considering a Gen 5 Glock or stick with what I have? What are my best bets for thin front sights? I plan to buy a few different ones to try out anyway, mix and match different heights, rear sight width opening, and see what works well with each of my guns and my carry ammo. Now that I can get repeatable consistant accuracy at distance it seems like I can start experimenting with sights and know whether or not they ar eworking!

My thoughts in no particular order and just my opinions:

-For me, 4" @25 yards has been an unattainable, although (for me) minor-goal. I'm more of an 8"@25 yard guy.

-Not enough info as the Glock models weren't indicated. If it's a G17Gen3, A G17Gen5 might tighten your group a bit. If your goal is a 2" group @25 yards, with a G26Gen5, that'll probably be difficult. I think a G34Gen5 MOS might be your best hardware solution. With an optic, this will be in the $1000 cost range.

-I'm not your financial advisor and don't know or really care how many Glocks and of which generation you already own. You might even consider a G17L which might be difficult to carry, but I think only comes in Gen3 if you can find one.
    -Thanks for giving us some background of your experience.

-Ammo choice would be another factor as far as one's groups and accuracy.

Rent a Gen5 gun. If you can't consistently hit a 3 inch group (25% improvement), then its you not the generation. I switched up from a Gen3 to 4 years ago because of the MOS system and my failing eyes. That upgrade and a RDS improved my accuracy immediately. I did see improvement in accuracy in my Gen3 gun with an aftermarket barrel. Also prepare to take a bath on trading in your Gen3 guns. Also a lot of Gen3 holsters don't fit the Gen5 guns due to the ambi slide stops. I like Dawson sights for front sights.

It sounds like in this case, shooting smaller groups at 25 yds is the goal. I think a gen 5 Glock would help enable you to do that.

I don’t think you need to go all in and dump the gen 3’s, especially since it sounds like they’re all setup and reliable. But I’d specifically look at buying 1 g5, shooting a. Inch of groups at 25, and if pleased with the results, slowly replace the gen 3’s with gen 5’s.

(I’d also probably looking at selling the frames and uppers separately. That way I’d be about $100 or less per pistol to get into gen 5s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I have owned Gen2's and Gen3's for years. I have shot Gen4's.

I just picked up a Gen5 and it is the nicest Glock I have owned. The slide is at Agency Arms right now getting their AOS cut. Once I get it back I am going to sell off the Gen3 I have.

Site Supporter
    The Gen 5 Glocks may be better all around, better triggers, better ergonomics, etc... Based on what I've seen and the ones I've examined they probably are actually a bit better. But it's hard for me to label the Gen 3/4 Glocks as barriers to good shooting.

Site Supporter
    I have a Gen 3 RTF2 I’m trying to get rid of. No one wants to “downgrade”.

I personally did not like the Glock 45, but I would like to try a Gen 5 17.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have 4 Gen 3 guns and i'm not in a rush to get rid of them. The only model where I feel the Gen 4 is definitely superior to me is the G19.

Lukewarm on the Gen 5s, mostly averse to losing money while selling guns. May upgrade eventually, especially if I decide to consolidate my subcompact and SS guns.

First see if you can rent a Gen5. If you notice an improvement, and have the disposable income, buy one. I wouldn’t recommend trying to sell a collection of previous generations though. Once you vet the Gen5, make it your carry gun and relegate your Gen3s to training/gaming guns.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    It sounds like in this case, shooting smaller groups at 25 yds is the goal. I think a gen 5 Glock would help enable you to do that.

I don’t think you need to go all in and dump the gen 3’s, especially since it sounds like they’re all setup and reliable. But I’d specifically look at buying 1 g5, shooting a. Inch of groups at 25, and if pleased with the results, slowly replace the gen 3’s with gen 5’s.

(I’d also probably looking at selling the frames and uppers separately. That way I’d be about $100 or less per pistol to get into gen 5s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listen to this guy.
    #RESIST

User Tag List