Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I love Titegroup

Why I love Titegroup

Because it is a very versatile powder. Longtime user with 45 200 swc load. Now I load it for 9mm 147s too, nice and soft. Great in my 38s and 357s. SOME loads are a little smelly and sooty, it gets a bit hot, but man it just works.

So yesterday I decided to work up a load for my 44 mag with a 300 soft point. A max load using Hodgdon data yielded 1075fps with an sd of 5 fps for the cylinder of rounds in a Ruger Vaqeuro with 5.5" barrel. Next I went with W296. Hodgdons max netted a whopping extra 50-60 fps using twice the powder. I then went to Speer data that used the copper crusher method for pressure. This added 2.5 more grains of powder and netted an extra 100 fps over the Titegroup load. All this by using 12 more grains of powder. My son commented he could feel this one in his chest when I shot it lol. Surely a longer barrel would tip the scale a bit more but wow, not much to see here performance wise.

Site Supporter

Why I love Titegroup

I have 10lbs I'll probably never use.

I moved to alliant sport pistol since TG was way too smokey.

I love Titegroup as it's very economical.

I use it for .40 and 9x19mm, have used it for .38spl/.357Mag and. 45ACP in the past.

Not the best powder for super high velocity loads, but I like it just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    I have 10lbs I'll probably never use.

I moved to alliant sport pistol since TG was way too smokey.
    Case of toilet paper for it, straight up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spj View Post
    Case of toilet paper for it, straight up.
    Sucker! I woulda done it for 2 rolls!

Site Supporter
    Titegroup is what I started loading 9mm. I have never tried anything else. I just placed an order last night for four more pounds. Figured I would grab it just in case availability dries up

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    Sucker! I woulda done it for 2 rolls!
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Titegroup is what I started loading 9mm. I have never tried anything else. I just placed an order last night for four more pounds. Figured I would grab it just in case availability dries up
    Good plan!

Site Supporter
    TG works really well in autoloaders with bullets with no exposed lead at the base. The most accurate 9x19 load I've ever worked up was 4.2 grains of TG under a Zero 125-grain JHP; it was a sub-2" load at 25 yards (back when I could see well enough to shoot that well).

OTOH, I burned a trench on the bottom of the top strap of my M27-3 using TG and 125-grain bullets, flame-cut with fewer than 1k rounds. Back when I was shooting IDPA SSR (prior to the power factor reduction) I burned my hand on the cylinder of my M19-3 doing repeated Bill Drills using .38 Special +P-level loads. TG with lead bullets gave almost black powder levels of smoke.

If I went back to a powder in that burn rate range, it'd probably be Sport Pistol. I mourn the passing of Solo 1000.

You may use more powder with H110, but you'll save money not shooting as much as you would with TG.

H110 is one of my favorites, but I rarely use anything but starting load data. Where H110 really pays is in a 14" Contender.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List