Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA and Corona

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I am not around older people except at matches. I do not understand the guidance to be, self quarantine UFN, and I’m not going to.
    Respectfully, I’d invite you to think in broader terms.
    It isn’t just about whether it’s a threat to you, or specifically the risk of you passing it directly to vulnerable people.
    It’s about being a “vector” to pass it to ANYONE ELSE... who can than pass it to others, and inevitably pass it to someone who will require hospitalization.

To address the main topic: I’m skipping tomorrow’s outdoor match. I’m an SO for IDPA, and am not willing to spend 5-6 hrs in relatively close proximity to others, even it it’s outdoors. The known cases in our state are approaching 100, and the governor acknowledges that the actual number is probably several thousand.

I'm not going to become a hermit or even limit what I enjoy doing over this crap.

I signed up for next Thursday's match.

Not because I'm brave, but because I hope that so few people show up, I actually take first.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    So who is limiting attendance at matches, or considering doing so, as a form of social distancing?
    Still a month until outside matches begin to figure that out.

I have a CRO class at the end of the month that concerns me - two days in a classroom with a group of generally older, somewhat unhealthy ROs...

I stereotype, but I know several of the attendees and stereotypes exist for a reason.

If you look at what is happening internationally, the goal should be control this with voluntary behavior, before it reaches a tipping point, and becomes so severe that government institutes quarantines and other measures that are draconian. The Seattle area is like our canary in the mine, and we should do everything possible to learn from as opposed to replicate their experience.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think a lot of people will not react well to draconian measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I think a lot of people will not react well to draconian measures.
    Which is why they should think more broadly, and do today what they can on their individual part to defeat the spread, so government doesn’t have to institute draconian measures. The problem is the average American is pretty selfish and narrow minded.

I am spending the bulk of my time these days on supporting front line caregivers, so they are able to take care of sick patients. The health care system is stressed now and likely to only be get much more stressed. Things like school closures cause hardship since nearly 40 percent of nurses have kids in school. Every person that thinks their behavior only effects them, makes things harder, and it more likely government will have to step in.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Which is why they should think more broadly, and do today what they can on their individual part to defeat the spread, so government doesn’t have to institute draconian measures. The problem is the average American is pretty selfish and narrow minded.

I am spending the bulk of my time these days on supporting front line caregivers, so they are able to take care of sick patients. The health care system is stressed now and likely to only be get much more stressed. Things like school closures cause hardship since nearly 40 percent of nurses have kids in school. Every person that thinks their behavior only effects them, makes things harder, and it more likely government will have to step in.
    I think the reaction will be very negative and unfavorable

We dont have any cases in our area yet. The first USPSA match of the season at my club is two weeks away. Not sure what they will do. I will add the local IDPA match went forward today which is probably not a smart idea since a lot of those guys are in the high risk category anyway. I didn't compete at all last year because of my own health issues, and now who knows what will happen this year.

User Tag List