Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA and Corona

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I can see the reason for skipping indoor matches but outdoors?
    Why?
    Four weeks ago, I was at a USPSA match at my local club. We were short in our squad on people to run the pad, and I asked a new shooter if he knew how to run the pad. Said no, but was willing to learn. I worked with him, handing the pad back and forth, standing next to him. Part way through the match, I asked him what he did, and he said he was a pilot. Told him my wife and I were pilots, and asked what he flew. Response was “737.” Then I asked him where he flew, and he said “in China.” I almost dropped the pad on the ground. Asked him when he was last in China, and he said two weeks previously.

My wife and I have been discussing what matches we will or will not attend, whether we will bring our own tape, procedures for handling the pad or timer.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    My feeling is, I’ve probably already been exposed to it. I’m not in a high risk category. Nor is my spouse, who gets exposed to pretty much everything in her work. I’m planning on two matches this weekend, one in a neighboring state about two hours from here. and one in this one, and there is cv in this state and that one. Hell it is supposed to snow tomorrow. Based on available evidence I don’t see a good reason not to go, other than traffic hassles if it snows.

eta what do we expect to know in two weeks?
    This isn't just about you or yours, it's about spreading it around in the community. The sentiment that we hear from Italy is "we went about as we always have, and now our elderly are dying".
    I am more likely to get this shit at work but if I got it at work and gave it to my USPSA bros, I let them down.

I expect to see what the case growth curve is going to be. It won't be easy to decipher because we will have more people tested and hence more cases detected. That said, I would want to see how ours growth will compare with the rest of the areas hit. If we're following the Italian path, the two weeks will become four, or six. If it is flatter Korean curve with a comparable mortality, I might restart my matches.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

F$ck...

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I am not around older people except at matches. I do not understand the guidance to be, self quarantine UFN, and I’m not going to.

We've adopted the "Drago principles" to help see us through this whole affair.

I am not around older people except at matches. I do not understand the guidance to be, self quarantine UFN, and I’m not going to.
    +1

The reaction from most people to this crap is bordering on the idiotic. Just as proof I went to get a few things from the local Kroger and it looked like a blizzard was forecast for the next 24 hours. Half the store was empty of stupid things.

I'll continue to live as normal, but I will make sure I am armed 100% of the time when I leave the house. Something that I occasionally lax on.

We cancelled the rest of our indoor season at our local club which usually runs into May. Wasn't worth the risk and I suspect that the turnout would have been very low.
    Real guns have hammers.

I do not understand the guidance to be, self quarantine UFN, and I’m not going to.
    There's pandemic outside, we would like to minimize the community spread, that means limiting contacts within communities, we have evidence that it works. There's all to it to understand, if you dont buy into it, that's fine, I hope your match went well.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    This isn't just about you or yours, it's about spreading it around in the community. The sentiment that we hear from Italy is "we went about as we always have, and now our elderly are dying".
    I am more likely to get this shit at work but if I got it at work and gave it to my USPSA bros, I let them down.

I expect to see what the case growth curve is going to be. It won't be easy to decipher because we will have more people tested and hence more cases detected. That said, I would want to see how ours growth will compare with the rest of the areas hit. If we're following the Italian path, the two weeks will become four, or six. If it is flatter Korean curve with a comparable mortality, I might restart my matches.
    Thank you! Hadn't consider it from that perspective before but that really resonates with me. Much appreciated.

Some people, like doctors, nurses, police and fire can not do their jobs while practicing social distancing. Many of us, with work and play, can social distance. Essential front line workers have a much better chance of not getting sick, and thus being able to serve those in need, if there is less sickness out there. There is the suggestion that the reason the South Korea Corona experience has been so much better than Italy, is a difference in how people prioritize society’s overall good as opposed to their narrow happiness. What you do impacts more than just you.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List