Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: USPSA and Corona

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A significant percentage of shooters seem to be in denial about the potential negative health impact of this. What I don’t understand is how many of the same seem to believe there will be civil unrest and they need to load their AR magazines. Seems like the unrest would be linked to the disease, but hey, I guess for some shooters, every solution is with a gun.
    But ... but ... I *know* I can shoot that virus right in the face! Eyebox-time, man!

Match on Sunday still on

Suck it DeWine....
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 03-16-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Match on Sunday still on

Suck it DeWine....
    Sounds like an “outlaw match.”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Based on your behavior in this thread, I don't think anyone is going to want to meet up with you and have a beer.
    Well, Alpha Sierra might.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Well, Alpha Sierra might.
    And have a right laugh at this whole thing

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

On Friday I advised my local club to cancel Saturday's match. They did hear me out but didn't cancel that match. Today they announced that they are cancelling the upcoming matches. Funny how this works. When a doc member reaches out, with the best intent and ahead of a curve, they are clearly not interested. When mass hysteria begins and CDC says to shut it down, they do but not after they all got together.
    @cheby asked about outdoors vs indoors earlier in that thread. This weekend we had some 20 mph winds, all day long. Those droplets weren't spreading out 6 feet, they were getting several times further...

And now back to USPSA. Pretty much what Foley emailed me with on Thursday.

USPSA recognizes the fluidity of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on hosting events in a public space. Many USPSA members and affiliates have reached out to USPSA with a variety of questions related to upcoming matches at all levels. In response to concerns raised by a number of our members, as well as consultation with multiple experts on the situation, out of abundance of caution USPSA has decided to reschedule some of the 2020 National Championship matches.
    The upcoming USPSA Multi-gun National Championship hosted by Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof, Florida, has been rescheduled for June 13-14, 2020, with staff competing on June 11-12, 2020.
    The upcoming USPSA PCC National Championship hosted by Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof, Florida, has been rescheduled for June 20-21, 2020, with staff competing on June 18-19, 2020.
    The upcoming USPSA Single Stack National Championship hosted at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park, in Talladega, Alabama, has been rescheduled for September 3-5, 2020, with staff competing on September 2, 2020.
    The upcoming USPSA Revolver and Limited 10 National Championship hosted at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park, in Talladega, Alabama, has been rescheduled for
    September 6, 2020.

The upcoming Steel Challenge World Speed Shooting Championship hosted at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park, in Talladega, Alabama, has been and rescheduled for September 24-27, 2020, with staff competing on September 23, 2020.
    We have been advised that behavioral risk mitigation strategies are the best option for slowing the spread of this disease, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have published recommendations and guidelines for mass gatherings which can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/…/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.ht…
    99.92% of all USPSA and Steel Challenge matches are operated by affiliated clubs, including non-profit and for-profit businesses, and individuals. USPSA and Steel Challenge affiliates, members, and match directors are encouraged to use the information available from CDC, the federal government, state governments, and local governments, coupled with their own risk tolerance levels and good judgement to guide them in what is best for matches at all levels. USPSA realizes that some matches will decide to cancel, while others may not. Here are some helpful hints from the CDC for hand hygiene and social distancing: https://www.cdc.gov/coron…/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html
    If your plans do not coincide with rescheduled match dates, please be considerate and understanding as match directors make adjustments to the details surrounding their events and event policies.

Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    If I were in charge of planning measures to retard progress of this disease in some region, and if I had enforcement functions, I would lock up persons who repeatedly endangered others. Later I would worry about repercussions while I told their lawyers to kiss my fat ass.

Site Supporter
    Slightly off topic but they just suspended elections in Ohio as a public health threat.
    So I would expect large matches to be canceled as well.
    One of the small "outlaw" matches has already cancelled for Saturday.
    I'm participating in a GSSF match, but it's at a really small range. Will see if the next round happens.

My sister just sent me this:

{Copied from a military friend. She lives in Northern Italy. We do not have enough base housing so the majority of families live off post. )

To all my friends back home in the U.S. I hope you will take time to read this and understand that I was you. As a friend said, "It’s because the US is our home country and we want you guys to know what’s coming. We are telling you what we wish we had known just two weeks ago. Think of it like “future you” sending back a message through time and space to “present you”. Obey or disregard at your own peril." XOXO

My heart is very heavy as I read your posts, speculations and questions. Misinformation is flying around the internet. Politics are rampant. Please, slow down the crazy train and panic and focus on facts. Many of you are so good at being voices of calm and sourced info and now is your time to shine.

There is no need to panic. But also be aware that three weeks ago I would never have imagined the situation in which we now live here in Italy. Life went from normal in a vibrant, tourist-oriented country to empty streets, shuttered businesses, police checkpoints and a healthcare system stressed to breaking.

I'm not personally concerned about my chances if I get COVID. I said that at first. Maybe you think it now. Fine. Maybe you really aren't at high risk either. After all, at first, it seems like it's "just a bad flu" or as if everyone is overreacting. But then you begin to see who IS dying. And you get really concerned--fast.

Like what about my nephewwaiting for a heart transplant, my mom with lupus or my friends with asthma? All are super high risk. I don't want you to give it to them and I don't want to unknowingly be a carrier and give it to your loved ones.

Daily we get updates on the new cases in Italy and new deaths. We've sustained 150-200 new deaths each day for several days now. Over 2300 new cases yesterday!

Know who is dying? The adorable Italian nonni (grandparents) who are the soul of Italy, the teenager who has overcome so many odds to live with cystic fibrosis, the mother of 4 who was beating cancer but weak and couldn't beat COVID, the uncle who was triaged lower because he also had diabetes and heart issues. We all know these people because it could be OUR grandparents, niece, wife, uncle, friend.

Doctors are having to choose who receives limited health care. Ventilators are all in use. Healthcare personnel are working around the clock and completely cut off from their own families to meet this crisis. Retired healthcare workers are coming back to serve. Cardiac ICUs have become wards for COVID patients. So if you have a heart attack where do you get help?

Wait, how slow is the ambulance to even respond to your medical emergency like an accident, heart attack, appendicitis, etc? Right. They may show up too late to provide what should be "normal" care standards.

I know it is absolutely hard for Americans to imagine giving up our right to free movement. "Don't tell me I can't go to the playoffs or see my kid graduate basic training or to the concert I've been waiting for weeks to attend." Heck, I'm a huge extrovert and this is killing my sanity. I'll gain 20 pounds form stress cooking and eating. But seriously that's just a blip on the radar for what some people will face. Are the playoffs really that important? Can't we handle some distance education and canceled vacation plans? PEOPLE are more important than those things--at least they are to me.

Please, please don't think this is a government grab for power! Consider that you are doing the very best thing for your own family, friends, and coworkers and being a damn responsible human by staying home and avoiding contact. This should be YOUR own common sense decision and choice. It's the right thing.

We need to help "flatten the curve" as they are calling it. Slowing down the new cases and spread is a critical way to help our healthcare response and to help the economy stabilize.

The US is so far behind the response curve on this. I'm disappointed in the lack of testing we've done and how delayed these closures and new rules have been. It should have been done (in the rosy glow of hindsight) two weeks ago.

Don't underestimate what can change in 2 or 3 weeks. We have the capacity as a country to not panic and just come together and handle this stuff. I know we do. But we have to get past the conspiracy and skeptical responses to understand that it isn't IF but WHEN the numbers go off the chart in the US. I really believe it's everywhere and we are on the brink of a blowup in cases like none other.

We have great systems. I know we do. But even our systems are about to have to be stretched on capabilities, beds, workers, and supplies. Can we be flexible and respond as needed?

That's up to every single American who has the chance to decide today if you will take this seriously. Will you put your personal liberties aside for a few days or weeks for a greater good?

Will you please not panic buy and clear out the shelves? Will you allow basic schedules of restocking to happen so everyone can have soap, TP, milk, bread, etc.? This is going to be a sustained response. It's not a snow apocalypse weekend that's all better when the snow melts. You're looking at 3-6 weeks. This started in mid-February and our closures continue to early/mid-April as of now. It could go longer.

Be prepared for 30 days minimum of hunkering down at home and avoiding other people outside those who live in your house. Stock up on craft supplies and puzzles for bored kids. Get some new books downloaded on your Audible. Buy wine. Get ingredients to try new recipes. Clean out your garage. There are 100 things we can all do with a few extra days/weeks at home to focus on family and home life.

Mainly, keep calm but please take this seriously.

I'm praying for you as I hope you will pray for all of us in Italy.

I'm also choosing to find lighthearted jokes, memes, and videos to keep me sane. But don't for one minute think that means I don't believe this is the real deal.

And if you have someone on your friend list the thinks this is a hoax or just the flu feel free to share. We DO NOT want you in the same situation.

User Tag List