Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N- frame range day

N- frame range day

Well after many years of wondering and fondling I finally said uncle. I bought a 4" 329PD...and a X-frame grip for it. Took it out to the range today after installing the Hogue lay-Z-Boy X-frame grip (I like my thumb just how it is) and put 20rnds of 240gr Mags through it, not bad at all with the goodyears on it. Ran another 50 rounds of 44special mostly double action and after a little tweekin on the rear sight, I am one happy camper! I did have one suprise, before the range trip I cracked open this brand spanking new N frame to install the Plug, I was horrified to find a very sandy like substance all over the guts! I was blown away, grit in a oily paste everywhere. So what's a guy to do? I cleaned it for about a half hour and installed the plug, oiled it up and shut the hood. Still scratching my head on this one, but I guess all is well that ends well..

Cool, mine goes everywhere I go.

Site Supporter
    I have a 4" 325PD I bought used. Initial inspection showed it to be mechanically sound but with an unbelievably heavy trigger. Fooling with springs helped there but after only 24 rounds of non-P+ hand loads the frame under the barrel cracked the length of the barrel threads.

Were I you I would inspect the frame above the crane every time you shoot it and clean it.

Good luck,
    Dave

PS: S&W said I could send it back and they would look at it for $60. If it could be repaired I would have to pay for all parts and for labor. I had enough in it already and couldn't see doubling my investment for very little return. It sets in the back of the safe, a reminder of the wonders of Scandium.

Dave

What? Sandy substance? Was this new to you Michpatriot? Not at all acceptable, and good thing you popped open the hood and found that before anything bad happened. BTW, you'll likely need to readjust the sights again when you go back to Magnums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    Well after many years of wondering and fondling I finally said uncle. I bought a 4" 329PD...and a X-frame grip for it. Took it out to the range today after installing the Hogue lay-Z-Boy X-frame grip (I like my thumb just how it is) and put 20rnds of 240gr Mags through it, not bad at all with the goodyears on it. Ran another 50 rounds of 44special mostly double action and after a little tweekin on the rear sight, I am one happy camper! I did have one suprise, before the range trip I cracked open this brand spanking new N frame to install the Plug, I was horrified to find a very sandy like substance all over the guts! I was blown away, grit in a oily paste everywhere. So what's a guy to do? I cleaned it for about a half hour and installed the plug, oiled it up and shut the hood. Still scratching my head on this one, but I guess all is well that ends well..

Brand spanking new

Yep I was amazed to find sand or glass bead all over inside, it was like really gritty bore paste. I have read up on the frame cracking on scanadium frames under the barrel on the frame and have a couple of 340s that I keep an eye on, so I looked it over close right off the bat, thanks for the heads up though. If anything goes south I think S&W will still take care of original owners under warranty. There are some good accounts on these 329s, some guys have shot a boatload of rounds through theirs. The blast shield is definitely a consumable part of you shoot a lot full house 44.
    Last edited by Michpatriot; 03-14-2020 at 12:41 AM.

My all day every day carry gun for the better part of a decade here in MT.

If used frequently with magnum level loads they will require more than normal repair/maint. Had three, still have two. Still use as backup when bow hunting elk. More recently gone to the 2.75" M69 for range use and general woods carry.

Recently picked up the shorter version with the stainless cyl (it weighs an once or so more than the 4" with the ti cyl).

Wouldn't be without one. The Hogue 500 X frame grips make all the difference for me.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I have a 4" 325PD I bought used. Initial inspection showed it to be mechanically sound but with an unbelievably heavy trigger. Fooling with springs helped there but after only 24 rounds of non-P+ hand loads the frame under the barrel cracked the length of the barrel threads.

Were I you I would inspect the frame above the crane every time you shoot it and clean it.

Good luck,
    Dave

PS: S&W said I could send it back and they would look at it for $60. If it could be repaired I would have to pay for all parts and for labor. I had enough in it already and couldn't see doubling my investment for very little return. It sets in the back of the safe, a reminder of the wonders of Scandium.

Dave
    Every time I start to miss the one I traded away, I find a story like this about scandium.

And just like that, I'm over it.

Between my wife and I, we have about a dozen Scandium .44/.41 revolvers. Most were lightly tuned by Hamilton Bowen with a DX front sight and action work. Because of the difference in POI, and the necessity for a different height front sight, I have dedicated .44 Special and Magnum 329 revolvers. I even have a sub three inch barrel 329, that I shoehorned Hogue K/L boot style grips on, as a fanny pack gun. Not something you want to shoot much, though.

I tried but stopped using the big X grips, because they are soft enough that they grab the web of my right hand, and cut me with heavy loads. I prefer the regular Hogue N frame grips, with the finger grooves buzzed off, as they allow the grip to slide in my hand during recoil, and don’t cut me. My serious load is the Garrett Defender, which was developed for four inch 629 and 329 revolvers.

The HK USP FS with Super ammo has obsoleted all my use of 329 revolvers, for a multitude of reasons.

Name:  CDA89D88-5C19-4B90-ACC3-8F02F87A3F9E.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  92.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@GJM, how are your Scandium .41's on recoil?
    I keep telling myself I want one, but the snappiness factor is an unknown to me.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    @GJM, how are your Scandium .41's on recoil?
    I keep telling myself I want one, but the snappiness factor is an unknown to me.
    Not GJM, but I've shot one.

I'm a big dude, with big hands. I'm not terribly recoil sensitive but I found the Scandium .41 I shot to be unmanageable. I've slept a few times since, but I think it was a "Night Guard?"

I think "scandium" and ".41 Magnum" are the absolute worst combination. If you buy a .44 Magnum, you can put specials in it. Unless you handload, there are no .41 Specials to be had.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List