Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .45 ACP HST, WTF?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    How do you like that gizmo? I think it might be worth having for flexibility. And RCBS. No more Lee stuff for me.
    I've got one of those and it works well. I've only used it for rifle loads which I do on a single-stage press.

I agree that the RCBS version is better than the Lee. When I need dies, though, I go with Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    they've gone to SMALL PRIMERS!!!! Friggin' idjits. Fired brass from this ammo will go straight to the trash.
    A friend of mine loves Federal small primer .45. He probably ate paint chips as a kid, but I indulge him by giving that shit to him.

How do you like that gizmo? I think it might be worth having for flexibility. And RCBS. No more Lee stuff for me.
    I use mine for small quantity loading. One problem is that it's finicky with smaller cases (.32/.327).
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I like it a lot. It is simple and reliable. For 45's, I use magnum small pistol primers that I have around and it ignites just fine. I reserve the normal SPP for my 9mm.

I have several of those, one for LP and one SP. The beauty is I don't have to reconfigure the tool when I switch. I load everything using those and a SS press. There are two models. One uses shell holders and one doesn't. I set aside my shell holder model for the universal model which doesn't need a shell holder. It works fine for most cartridges but I noticed it doesn't like my 32 L brass for some reason. I'm not sure it's much of an improvement over the $50 model.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming/hand-he.../16-90201.html
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    OT, but I guess at some point in the past, .357 and maybe .38 was an LP as well. I'm sure the reloaders of that era were just as unhappy with the mixed bass.
    I had in my odd brass assortment a .38 Special case with large primer. It wasn't weathered, somebody must have turned up old stock and shot it. I never saw a large primer .38 or .357 when I started shooting them in the late 1960s.

In those days, it wouldn't add much to the reloaders' problems.
    Phil Sharpe distinguished between corrosive and noncorrosive primers, and flat vs domed cups.

Earlier this year, I saw where a guy found an old Frankford Arsenal .45 that would not accept a large primer and a small primer "just fell out." Yup, FA .45s at one time had a .204" primer to prevent getting rifle primers in pistol ammo and vice versa. In its day, you could get the ammo and primers cheap through NRA-DCM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List