Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP HST, WTF?

My gripe on small primer was that I had a Lightweight Government Model that impacted a bit high on the primer, and a SP may not have been consistent. I've sold it since and my Commanders are cantered, but still.... I have a large supply of LP primers still stashed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I just got some of the standard velocity stuff in from Target Sports and it's apparently the updated version. The bullets appear to be the same as the older version, but they've gone to SMALL PRIMERS!!!! Friggin' idjits. Fired brass from this ammo will go straight to the trash.

ETA: It's got blue sealant around the primer, but none visible around the bullet.
    I just got my five-box order of .45 ACP American Eagle hardball from Federal. They've gone to small primers in that, too. Looking at the bright side, it's probably the freshest ammo I've ever bought.

I also ran into small primers in the two boxes of Federal harball I was able to snag locally a while ago. It wasn't American Eagle-branded but I think that's what it was - it seems it was just hastily packed into plain white boxes instead.

I used to just throw it away. I don't get enough small primer 45 ACP from the range bucket to matter. Now I'm going to save it because even brass might become useful to somebody, even a few hundred cases. I've got enough brass to last the rest of my life. Sold some and given some away and I still have plenty.

I've noticed that people are now picking up their brass where they can. Several ranges around here won't let you pick it up. I belong to a private range and even people there are asking for my brass now.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Seems most Blazer .45 is SP now and I see some Federal and a couple of other bands. I sort it out and toss it into a bin. I'm loading more .45 ACP right now because I have more LP primers on hand. If all went to SP it would be easier.

OT, but I guess at some point in the past, .357 and maybe .38 was an LP as well. I'm sure the reloaders of that era were just as unhappy with the mixed bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Seems most Blazer .45 is SP now and I see some Federal and a couple of other bands. I sort it out and toss it into a bin. I'm loading more .45 ACP right now because I have more LP primers on hand. If all went to SP it would be easier.

OT, but I guess at some point in the past, .357 and maybe .38 was an LP as well. I'm sure the reloaders of that era were just as unhappy with the mixed bass.
    That must have been awhile ago because I have no recollection of that. I started loading 357 about 50 years ago. That doesn't mean I know everything about it tho. It's been around a lot longer than me.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That must have been awhile ago because I have no recollection of that. I started loading 357 about 50 years ago. That doesn't mean I know everything about it tho. It's been around a lot longer than me.
    I believe I've read that the original .357 Magnum loads were done with large pistol primers, which would be back in the '30s.

Small Primer Master Race.

-Simplifies manufacturing logistics

-Simplifies reloader logistics (Everything from .25ACP to .45ACP uses the same primer.)
    Last edited by spyderco monkey; 01-26-2021 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Small Primer Master Race.

-Simplifies manufacturing logistics

-Simplifies reloader logistics (Everything from .25ACP to .45ACP uses the same primer.)
    This ^^^

When I run out of large pistol primers, I'll look to swap all my LPP .45ACP brass for SPP .45ACP.

Then I just need to find some .30-30 winchester brass that uses small rifle primers and I'll never buy anything besides small pistol magnum primers ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I used to throw out the small primer 45 cases with my Dillon 650. Because I'm a cheap bastid, I hand prime them, shove them back and continue to load them.

How do you like that gizmo? I think it might be worth having for flexibility. And RCBS. No more Lee stuff for me.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List