Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP HST, WTF?

Site Supporter

.45 ACP HST, WTF?

I just got some of the standard velocity stuff in from Target Sports and it's apparently the updated version. The bullets appear to be the same as the older version, but they've gone to SMALL PRIMERS!!!! Friggin' idjits. Fired brass from this ammo will go straight to the trash.

ETA: It's got blue sealant around the primer, but none visible around the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I just got some of the standard velocity stuff in from Target Sports and it's apparently the updated version. The bullets appear to be the same as the older version, but they've gone to SMALL PRIMERS!!!! Friggin' idjits. Fired brass from this ammo will go straight to the trash.

ETA: It's got blue sealant around the primer, but none visible around the bullet.
    Hey Joe, why you no likey small pistol primer? Serious question, BTW.

Thanks,
    Keith

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post

Thanks,
    Keith
    I load my own .45 ACP practice ammo on a Dillon 550, a progressive press. .45 ACP usually has large primers and I have my priming system set up that way. If a case with small primer pockets sneaks in there, it won't take the large primer and I have to stop, dig out the offending case and throw it out. It's a shame, too, because Federal brass is among the best.

I used to throw out the small primer 45 cases with my Dillon 650. Because I'm a cheap bastid, I hand prime them, shove them back and continue to load them.

Site Supporter
    @Paul D - I've got one of those...somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post

Thanks,
    Keith
    I give all the small primer .45 Auto to a buddy who likes them. The reason I don't them is because I have a shitload or LP brass. I'm not going to switch primer systems in my Dillon for the small amount of SP I end up with.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I just seperate them and load as usual,I have dedicated presses for each primer size so it's not a big deal for me.

I just separate them.

I hope federal isn’t going over to small primers on all their 45 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I just separate them.

I hope federal isn’t going over to small primers on all their 45 ammo.
    For me it would be nice if they did. It would simplify the logistics of me jumping into loading .45. But then again, I'm just starting.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post

If you're just going to toss it in the trash, send it my way, I'll be happy to pay your postage, as well as a little something for your time. I load on a single stage press and prime by hand, so sorting for primer size is no biggie to me, for range ammo both work just fine. Later.

Dave

User Tag List