Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1301 Comp vs Tactical for M2 Tactical Replacement

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Does Beretta offer a SBS barrel configuration like the Benelli M4 14"? I have not seen any offerings and I'm not planning to cut any barrels.

Right now, I have a couple of 14" 870s with RDS and lights that are a lot more manageable in a house than my 1301
    Negative, gas system length has prevented Beretta from developing a reliable sbs on the 1300/A400 guns that use the blink gas system.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    I ended up buying a 21" Comp Pro two weeks after I originally posted this thread in 2020, without ever having touched one prior to having it shipped to my LGS. As soon as I put it together, I liked it. After a couple of boxes of my 7/8 oz skeet loads, I loved it.

It came with the spacer installed on the Kick-Off stock, and was too long for my wife. I took out the 1" spacer, and she said it was better, but her arms were still too straight with the gun mounted. I added an Aridus adapter and a Magpul stock, and it was much easier for her to handle and mount the gun. She even shot the gun and didn't instantly hate it, a pretty big improvement over most other shotguns besides her O/U.

I added an Aimpoint R1 on a KE Arms mount. I loved the dot, she wanted nothing to do with it.

I bought a 24" Comp in January of 2021. A little bit of comparison and she determined she liked the Pro lifter over the standard, Magpul stock over the standard Beretta, and no dot. So I took the Aimpoint off the Comp Pro w/Magpul and swapped to the 24" barrel. She's probably shot 6 or 7 round of clays with that setup, and it doesn't bruise her check like the O/U.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If your wife is an engineer, she isn’t going to buy the misconception a self loading shotgun has less recoil. Assuming shotguns of the same weight firing payloads of the same mass at the same velocity, free recoil will be the same regardless of action type.

Felt recoil is about how hard or soft the recoil feels. It’s about how the recoil is distributed, not how much recoil energy is generated. The reality is, while 1301 has a reputation for good recoil management (has softer felt recoil), it’s a lighter shotgun and actually has more free recoil than heavier shotguns. Recoil feels softer because the action of the 1301 spreads out the recoil over a longer amount of time.

The Comp is better suited to shooting clays and it’s more likely your wife will shoot it than the Tactical.
    I get what you are saying, but she is not thinking about free recoil at all. She can shoot 50 rounds from the Comp Pro w/Magpul stock and still be enjoying herself at the end of the round. That's a big improvement compared to her O/U. Gun fit plays a pretty big part in the equation, and the Magpul stock has a thick recoil pad. Still need to get a professional to fit the O/U to her.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    1301 tactical with CROM mount and the “Rob Haught” chopped ghost ring.

For a home defense gun why would you get the 1301 comp which is longer and therefore requires more manipulation to maneuver in the confines of a dwelling ?

The CROM lowers the red dot making it possible to get a proper cheekweld with the factory stock and eliminate the large rear sight assembly. The red that is your primary siding system, back up sites should be minimalist like a donut spare tire (as opposed to a full size spare).

The conventional factory stock is fine, but the magpul SGA is a real upgrade.
    I screwed up when I didn't (also) buy a 1301T when the getting was good. I'll rectify that someday. It would be set up with CROM/Aimpoint, Magpul stock, a light, and Vang cards.

Three years ago when I started this thread, I was planning on a long gun safe in our bedroom. That never happened, and only keep handguns ready upstairs. Knowing what I now know about hearing issues, if I do install a long gun safe, it will probably have the suppressed 300 Blk SBR, and electronic muffs.

Does Beretta offer a SBS barrel configuration like the Benelli M4 14"? I have not seen any offerings and I'm not planning to cut any barrels.

Right now, I have a couple of 14" 870s with RDS and lights that are a lot more manageable in a house than my 1301
    I believe the SBS 14” Benelli is only an inch or so shorter than the Beretta 1301T. @GJM might have posted a photo of the two next to each other at some point but I can’t find it right now.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I believe the SBS 14” Benelli is only an inch or so shorter than the Beretta 1301T. @GJM might have posted a photo of the two next to each other at some point but I can’t find it right now.
    I can't find it either, but the difference between a 1301 and a 14 inch M2 is a lot less than four inches. Plus, the extension that gets you to five in the tube with the M2 protrudes beyond the muzzle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

1301 gas system does not play well with SBS per Beretta and a few folks who have tried chopping them.

For LONG guns - this piece from @SouthNarc from AMIS is incredibly useful:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp2wk...RlODBiNWFlZA==

(Sorry our IG tags don't let me embed reels).

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but what exactly is different on the Comp Pro model? I notice the barrel is longer and the receiver is blue but is anything else done to the gun?

I am thinking about getting a shotgun so I can mess around with 3-gun should the desire arise again and part of me that cares about how a gun looks likes the blue receiver because well I like blue.

I also don't really like ghost ring sights on shotguns which has me leaning away from the tactical model, the only real benefit to ghost rings is when using slugs and now that red dots are cheap and reliable it seems like that's the way to go anyway.

That said it the LTT model has a better lifter, port, etc then that might still be the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been covered before but what exactly is different on the Comp Pro model? I notice the barrel is longer and the receiver is blue but is anything else done to the gun?

I am thinking about getting a shotgun so I can mess around with 3-gun should the desire arise again and part of me that cares about how a gun looks likes the blue receiver because well I like blue.

I also don't really like ghost ring sights on shotguns which has me leaning away from the tactical model, the only real benefit to ghost rings is when using slugs and now that red dots are cheap and reliable it seems like that's the way to go anyway.

That said it the LTT model has a better lifter, port, etc then that might still be the better option.
    Comp Pro is built on the 3.5" receiver vs. the Comp. It thus uses a larger lifter, has more room around the loading ports, and has even larger controls over the Comp. The Comp Pro also has Kick-Off Plus system installed, the Comp does not. That's about $400 alone if you wanted to add to the Comp. Might be moot if you use an adapter and run a Magpul SGA.

Also, the bad ass blue receiver (I agree with you, it's awesome).

One additional advantage to the tactical you may not have considered - All current production tacticals have a one-piece magazine tube (not an extension). If you're 3-gunning then you'll want the extension so you can run the über long extensions. But if you're doing more defensive-oriented shooting, the one piece tube is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Comp Pro is built on the 3.5" receiver vs. the Comp.
    The Comps all have the 3.5" receiver (I have a 21").
    The Pros do have the Pro lifter that is held up exposing the follower.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Comp Pro is built on the 3.5" receiver vs. the Comp. It thus uses a larger lifter, has more room around the loading ports, and has even larger controls over the Comp. The Comp Pro also has Kick-Off Plus system installed, the Comp does not. That's about $400 alone if you wanted to add to the Comp. Might be moot if you use an adapter and run a Magpul SGA.

Also, the bad ass blue receiver (I agree with you, it's awesome).

One additional advantage to the tactical you may not have considered - All current production tacticals have a one-piece magazine tube (not an extension). If you're 3-gunning then you'll want the extension so you can run the über long extensions. But if you're doing more defensive-oriented shooting, the one piece tube is superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The Comps all have the 3.5" receiver (I have a 21").
    The Pros do have the Pro lifter that is held up exposing the follower.
    Great info, thank you.

Sounds like the only real negative to the Comp Pro is the mag tube. Are there reliable options out there? Googling it I found Beretta makes one but it's not clear if it's actually imported to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Great info, thank you.

Sounds like the only real negative to the Comp Pro is the mag tube. Are there reliable options out there? Googling it I found Beretta makes one but it's not clear if it's actually imported to the US.
    No experience directly, but from what I have read the Toni System is the best out there: https://christiansencomponents.com/p...extension-kit/

User Tag List