Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1301 Comp vs Tactical for M2 Tactical Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    This may or may not be relevant, but supposedly the newer 1301Ts do not come threaded for a choke. This may or may not be the case, I haven't confirmed personally, just something to consider.
    First I've heard of that... Chokes were one of the changes added to the Gen2 1301T.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    First I've heard of that... Chokes were one of the changes added to the Gen2 1301T.
    Exactly! 1st gen had no modular choke, 2nd gen does!

I think the gen 2 1301 Tactical skus J131T18NLE and J131P18NLE are both sans choke tube

Marketing info from manufacturers often contains factual errors
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by UpDok View Post
    ... Marketing info from manufacturers often contains factual errors
    Case in point: on the Beretta USA website, most of the 1301s are still shown with the old bolt release lever, so they are still showing Gen 1 models.

Quote Originally Posted by UpDok View Post
    I think the gen 2 1301 Tactical skus J131T18NLE and J131P18NLE are both sans choke tube

Marketing info from manufacturers often contains factual errors
    gen 1.5s?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For literally decades, I have seen guys obsessing over the details of what gun is right for their girl friend or wife. Despite hours of deliberation, crazy custom projects, and many thousands of dollars, I have yet to see said girl friend or wife actually shoot in a meaningful way, any of these guns. I would say buy whatever YOU want, and they won’t notice the difference. Right now, I am very interested in a 21 inch 1301 Pro Comp, and they are available at reasonable prices on GB.
    Offered for perspective: I'd be pretty stoked if I could get my wife to shoot a 20 O/U once a year, let alone love it.

Given your intended purpose, Home Defence, I would think the Tactical with shorter OAL would be your default frontrunner. A few inches could make a big difference when rounding doorways and hallways.

I think all their "LE" SKUs are sans choke tubes. Thinking being that LE guns benefit from one fewer part that can go wrong.

I really wanted a 1301 Tactical for a long time, but after handling it I went with a 1301 Comp 21.

I do not like ghost rings and see them as a negative for any realistic home defense scenario that I can envision on my property. The most important thing is to be able to see clearly what is going on and make good decisions. Ghost rings block a good chunk of my view, slow my target acquisition, are a distraction for me. Grab a 1301 Tactical and a Comp side by side and try to quickly aquire targets. The Tactical has a lot of crap up on top of the barrel that gets in the way.

Ghost rings are great if I need to shoot slugs at 50 yards. But I'm not doing that, so I have no desire to try to turn my shotgun into a rifle.

And yes, I understand how buckshot patterns at short distances and that you need to aim a shotgun. But I can aim it more quickly at the distances I care about with a vent rib and a fiber optic bead.

In terms of length, it's still pretty short. I'm not carrying it on my back through the desert for 3 months. And I don't mind an extra 2.5" of barrel. It will lower the volume just a bit and give me a tiny bit less chance of suffering from tinitius the rest of my life should I ever have to actually use the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I really wanted a 1301 Tactical for a long time, but after handling it I went with a 1301 Comp 21.

I do not like ghost rings and see them as a negative for any realistic home defense scenario that I can envision on my property. The most important thing is to be able to see clearly what is going on and make good decisions. Ghost rings block a good chunk of my view, slow my target acquisition, are a distraction for me. Grab a 1301 Tactical and a Comp side by side and try to quickly aquire targets. The Tactical has a lot of crap up on top of the barrel that gets in the way.

Ghost rings are great if I need to shoot slugs at 50 yards. But I'm not doing that, so I have no desire to try to turn my shotgun into a rifle.

And yes, I understand how buckshot patterns at short distances and that you need to aim a shotgun. But I can aim it more quickly at the distances I care about with a vent rib and a fiber optic bead.

In terms of length, it's still pretty short. I'm not carrying it on my back through the desert for 3 months. And I don't mind an extra 2.5" of barrel. It will lower the volume just a bit and give me a tiny bit less chance of suffering from tinitius the rest of my life should I ever have to actually use the damn thing.
    Add an Aimpoint S1 on the rib and you can have even mo better.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List