Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1301 Comp vs Tactical for M2 Tactical Replacement

S1 in action

tps://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/02/23/raniero-testa-sets-new-world-record-17-airborne-clay-targets-with-17-shots-in/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Were I to set up a shotgun primarily as a defensive tool it would be a 21" 1301 Comp or Comp Pro. I hate rifle sights on shotguns and want either a vent rib or a dot. Choke tubes add a versatility I wouldn't want to live without.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Any more input on the Comp vs. tactical decision? Thanks!

For home defense, I strongly prefer short long guns because they are lighter, more maneuverable, and easier to defend from a gun grab.

I have a 1301 Tactical with a Magpul/Aridus stock, and wouldn’t want anything longer.

The 1301t is the largest of my HD guns, and unless there was a good reason to need a 12ga, I’d grab my 11.5” 5.56 SBR or 7.5” 300BLK.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I ended up making a similar shift from a benelli m1s90 to a 1301T and have been super satisfied. It runs more reliably, shoots softer, is not affected by weight / accessories, and has better aftermarket support (love the aridus / magpul stock)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A57460
    CTC lasers : Pistols = ABS : automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    Yes, the LTT is the easy button. It’s the front runner in my head. My heart is still pulling for the Comp.

I’m 7” taller than my wife. She definitely needs a shorter stock. The adjustability of the Magpup stock wins in this category.

My wife shoots 3-4 rounds of sporting clays a year with her 20 Ga Beretta O/U, which she loves. She’s an Engineer, but she isn’t into screwing around with different guns. If I could prove to her that a light load in an auto kicks less than her O/U, MAYBE I could get her to shoot the 1301 occasionally. She’s not taking a class. She wouldn’t be amused if I brought my timer out when she is shooting. I doubt she spends 5 seconds a week thinking about HD. I’d be happy with any willingness to shoot a different shotgun for a start. And that auto has to be light enough for her to easily handle. My O/U for clays is too long and heavy for her to handle properly, even though she acknowledges it kicks less than hers.
    If your wife is an engineer, she isn’t going to buy the misconception a self loading shotgun has less recoil. Assuming shotguns of the same weight firing payloads of the same mass at the same velocity, free recoil will be the same regardless of action type.

Felt recoil is about how hard or soft the recoil feels. It’s about how the recoil is distributed, not how much recoil energy is generated. The reality is, while 1301 has a reputation for good recoil management (has softer felt recoil), it’s a lighter shotgun and actually has more free recoil than heavier shotguns. Recoil feels softer because the action of the 1301 spreads out the recoil over a longer amount of time.

The Comp is better suited to shooting clays and it’s more likely your wife will shoot it than the Tactical.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-31-2023 at 01:21 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a replacement for a Benelli M2 Tactical. The primary purpose will be a home defense shotgun. Going through the living room and down a hallway through the bathroom, the longest shot inside my house is about 18 yards. I'm trying to balance the indoor HD aspect with something I could potentially get my wife to practice with.

At this stage, I'm pretty much set on a Beretta. The question is 1301 Comp or 1301 Tactical? Regardless of which one I get, it's going to have an Aimpoint mounted. My heart is telling me Comp, but my head is telling me Tactical. I am thoroughly in the paralysis by analysis stage. While the cost of the shotgun is not a showstopper, it is high enough that I'm trying to make the right choice the second time around. The current Benelli will get sold after I have the Beretta in my hands.

To give some idea of my shotgun experience, I have many thousands of rounds through my O/U Skeet gun. I have a lot of rounds (thousands) through various pump and auto "hunting" shotguns. I have about 25 rounds through my Benelli M2 Tactical (18.5", pistol grip, rifle sights, https://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/...tical-shotguns).

Just looking the M2 and working the action, or in a disassembled state, I am thoroughly impressed with the build quality. However, with regard to shooting, I HATE that gun with a passion, (mainly) due to outsize recoil, pistol grip, and the raised rifle sights. I developed all that HATE in 25 rounds... I WANT to like the M2, it's the "Glock 19" of the semi-auto shotgun world. But I don't like it. I thoroughly dislike it. I would NEVER hand that shotgun to my wife to shoot. I enjoy a marriage that many would envy, and I'm not going to jeopardize it by handing her a shotgun that I feel kicks like a mule. A replacement short "normal" stock is over $400, which is serious money compared to what the gun is worth. I think that stock would make me happier, but it's still a recoil operated shotgun with sights I dislike. That makes me very leery to experiment with a gun that I'm currently in the HATE portion of the relationship. I'm worried that I'm throwing good money after bad. I know many very smart people are going to tell me to "take a class" to learn some recoil control methods and love the M2. I could take the class. My petite 5' 0" wife won't. That's a huge issue for me.

Enter the 1301 Tactical. Massive thread known to anybody on PF that's spent any time in the shotgun forum: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-1301-Tactical. If you don't want to read the 3,622 posts in that thread, it's the other "Glock 19" of the shotgun world. It's gas operated and known to have WAY less felt recoil than an M2. And it comes with a "normal" stock (https://www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-tactical/) that GJM considers one of the best. Here is the easy button: https://www.langdontactical.com/ltt-...-2-base-model/ . But either Tactical has the same damn sights as the M2 that I hate. That fixes 2 of my 3 main gripes. But the 1301 Comp (https://www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-comp/) fixes all three of my gripes (recoil, stock, and sights). But, it is longer by 2.5".

There is also the Comp-Pro: https://www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-comp-pro/. I'll gladly pay the $400 price differential between the Comp and Comp-Pro if my wife is more willing to shoot it...but then replacing the stock with a Magpul/Aridus to reduce the LOP defeats the purpose of the Kick-Off system found on the Comp-Pro.

So round and round I go. It's time to make a decision: 1301 Comp, 1301 Comp-Pro, 1301 Tactical, or something else?

Thanks in advance,

Toonces
    1301 tactical with CROM mount and the “Rob Haught” chopped ghost ring.

For a home defense gun why would you get the 1301 comp which is longer and therefore requires more manipulation to maneuver in the confines of a dwelling ?

The CROM lowers the red dot making it possible to get a proper cheekweld with the factory stock and eliminate the large rear sight assembly. The red that is your primary siding system, back up sites should be minimalist like a donut spare tire (as opposed to a full size spare).

The conventional factory stock is fine, but the magpul SGA is a real upgrade.

Site Supporter
    To everyone here who keeps posting about using the 1301 comp over the tactical because they don’t like rifle sights. Did you read the OP where the OP says the shotgun is going to get an aimpoint mounted ?

Sighting is a moot issue since either could be fitted with an aimpoint and logically white light mounting solutions (mandatory for serious use) should work on either model. That leaves length.

How many of you have actually fought or even searched for a hostile person in a structure with a long gun?

@Clusterfrack is spot on. The shorter the better.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    To everyone here who keeps posting about using the 1301 comp over the tactical because they don’t like rifle sights. Did you read the OP where the OP says the shotgun is going to get an aimpoint mounted ?

Sighting is a moot issue since either could be fitted with an aimpoint and logically white light mounting solutions (mandatory for serious use) should work on either model. That leaves length.

How many of you have actually fought or even searched for a hostile person in a structure with a long gun?

@Clusterfrack is spot on. The shorter the better.
    Couldn't agree more on shorter being better when clearing structures.

I have a lot of VERY strong thoughts on the subject of even CONSIDERING "clearing" your residence by yourself, and none of them are centered around what firearm you use to do so. All of them start with NOT wanting to point a loaded firearm at anyone/anything you DON'T want to shoot. Any long gun with a WML is going to mean you're muzzling unknown areas and persons/things. I consider this a bad plan for most average gun owners, and even most average LEOs.

But, I'm just an old fat retired guy, so, what do I know?

Does Beretta offer a SBS barrel configuration like the Benelli M4 14"? I have not seen any offerings and I'm not planning to cut any barrels.

Right now, I have a couple of 14" 870s with RDS and lights that are a lot more manageable in a house than my 1301

User Tag List