Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buckshot effectiveness study...

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    As to the bold sentence, There was a professional hunter killed in Africa a few years ago, following up a wounded lion, when his apprentice fired over the lion and hit him in the chest using a SXS shotgun. The lion had the clients leg in it's mouth as I recall. I don't know if the ammo type was mentioned.
    In that case, the load didn't matter.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Uh...I am a bit confused.

All of this was figured out and published about during the late 1980's and early 1990's. Gus Coty and others wrote about the superiority of #1 buckshot in the IWBA Journal. This topic was again reviewed right here at PF when Federal brought out the #1 Tactical load a few years ago.

Why is information from 30-40 years ago a surprise???
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    In that case, the load didn't matter.

Okie John
    No, I guess it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

All of this was figured out and published about during the late 1980's and early 1990's. Gus Coty and others wrote about the superiority of #1 buckshot in the IWBA Journal. This topic was again reviewed right here at PF when Federal brought out the #1 Tactical load a few years ago.

Because people are always rediscovering these things. Everyone starts somewhere.

Not too long ago we had a thread about the 9x25 Dillion and 90 grain bullets going stupid fast speeds. I was like "Didn't we already do this about 2005?"
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"Didn't we already do this about 2005?"
    And 1995, 1985, not to mention 2015.....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

While many of us many have miles of trails on our boot leather and animal skins hanging over our rails, pretty much every month there are those who ask questions along the lines of "what kind of handgun for mom, wife, dad. I need low recoil. I have arthritis, I am new to pistols. I have owned handguns, but this is my first AR/lever action, etc."

Plus in spite of more crap in my reloading room than I know what to do with at times, (none of which is organized) I still continue to learn, and rediscover as I read, and re-read some of the older articles from years back. I am a life long student of such things, so I do not mind when an older topic pops up. Heck I "44 associates" articles from when E. Keith, L. Newton, LaChuk (who may or may not have been an "official" member) and others were experimenting trying to push the envelope of the .44 Special

Besides, it beats hearing about how Ft. Scott Munitions is scamming gullible people into buying FMJ ammo at over a buck a round.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Whats the general feeling about using slugs for two legged critters?
    They work very well. If you have the ability, ask some ER/Trauma docs about handgun wounds they've seen/treated and they can give you dozens/hundreds of examples, with most of those interventions being successful at some level. Ask them about buckshot, slug or full power centerfire rifle wounds they've successfully treated and all of a sudden, they run out of stories.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I’ve never seen or heard any of that so this is all news to me. When it comes to shotguns, I definitely thought 00 was king. I’d only heard one guy say he’d prefer #1 but never heard or at least understood why.

Regardless of velocity, the increase in lead from 00 to #1 is impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    They work very well. If you have the ability, ask some ER/Trauma docs about handgun wounds they've seen/treated and they can give you dozens/hundreds of examples, with most of those interventions being successful at some level. Ask them about buckshot, slug or full power centerfire rifle wounds they've successfully treated and all of a sudden, they run out of stories.
    One of the single most horrific scenes I worked (as a team, I was not primary)was a double murder, followed by a suicide where the BG used goose loads at a distance of a few feet. It looked like something out of a very bad movie and our V/W coordinator had a nervous breakdown on the scene for numerous reasons, as the 2 victims were a mom and daughter. There is no question that you could have had the worlds best trauma team on hand in the next room and it would have not done any good. The only saving grace was the asshole took his head off immediately following his ambush.

It is one of those cases that you wish you could erase from your memory.

Honestly, the only person who is going to be able to tell the difference between #1 buck and 00 buck at conversation difference on a BG is the Coroner.

User Tag List