Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buckshot effectiveness study...

Buckshot effectiveness study...

Very interesting, good summary:

If your duties or circumstances lead you to carry a shotgun for self-defense when outdoors, we encourage you to make use of shotshells utilizing a pattern-controlled shotcup and copper-plated shot pellets.

As tested, pattern-controlled #1 buckshot presents an interesting alternative to the more traditional 00 buckshot (also pattern-controlled) in that the maximum effective range is the same but the felt recoil is reduced by 23% over the 00 buckshot load.

Since there is no difference in the long range performance of the two shells, we recommend the Federal LE132 1B load to maximize range and minimize recoil for the defensive shotgun.

For self-defense indoors or in environments that [B]physically cannot exceed 10 yards distance, we recommend #4 plated buckshot at 1250 ft/sec or higher muzzle velocity.[/B]

You can maximize your shotguns effectiveness by selecting buckshot that is effective out to your maximum planned engagement distance and no further.

Very interesting, good summary:

If your duties or circumstances lead you to carry a shotgun for self-defense when outdoors, we encourage you to make use of shotshells utilizing a pattern-controlled shotcup and copper-plated shot pellets.

As tested, pattern-controlled #1 buckshot presents an interesting alternative to the more traditional 00 buckshot (also pattern-controlled) in that the maximum effective range is the same but the felt recoil is reduced by 23% over the 00 buckshot load.

Since there is no difference in the long range performance of the two shells, we recommend the Federal LE132 1B load to maximize range and minimize recoil for the defensive shotgun.

For self-defense indoors or in environments that [B]physically cannot exceed 10 yards distance, we recommend #4 plated buckshot at 1250 ft/sec or higher muzzle velocity.[/B]

You can maximize your shotguns effectiveness by selecting buckshot that is effective out to your maximum planned engagement distance and no further.

I'll check, but, have they examined slugs to the same degree?

While he was more worried about 4 legged critters than two legged critters, below are Peter Hathaway Capstick’s thoughts on proper gauge loadings for Uncle Buck in Death in the Dark Continent.
    "I would like to mention one very important factor in choosing a buckshot load for dangerous game, and that concerns shot size selection. Most people would automatically pick 00 buck simply becuause it's so well know through TV westerns. In fact, the 12-pellet 12-gauge "baby magnum" load of 00 is considerably inferior to the same maximum powder loading of small NO. 1 buckshot in the same shell. The difference lies in the simple and astonishingly obvious fact that at .33 caliber, 00 buck is so large in the shell that there is much wasted space that could otherwise be filled with lead if the bearing surfaces of the big, round pellets didn't have to come into contact with each other. But they must. No. 1 buck is .30 caliber, only ten percent less in diameter than 00 buck and but thirteen grains per pellet lighter. However, because of the way the pellet mass fits into the shotshell, the same shell can fire an incredible seventy-five percent more pellets than the Magnum 00 load! What this means is that when you need help in a big way, you're launching eight hundred grains of lead at better than three thousand foot-pounds at the muzzle with No. 1 buck compared with a bit over six hundred grains and not quite twenty-four hundred foot-pounds with the 00 buck. If you don't reckon that can make a significant difference, you've never had something try to eat you.

One might also bear in mind that eight hundred grains of lead in a swarm has the individual pellet impact area of an umbrella, for even though still in a solid mass at more or less ten yards, it covers a circular saturation point of about a 7-inch circle. Eight hundred grains, remember, equals a .458 PLUS a .375 at point blank, and you've got two barrels of the stuff, minimum."

Ive used the #4 hornady varmit hunter ammo to hammer 2 deer at almost 50 yards. Very impressive.

But ive been so impressed with federal full power 00 flight control im not switching. #1 would be interesting but id prefer the little extra penatration of 00 anyways.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    While he was more worried about 4 legged critters than two legged critters, below are Peter Hathaway Capstick’s thoughts on proper gauge loadings for Uncle Buck in Death in the Dark Continent.
    Classic ft-lb fallacy at work in that quote. It's not the ft-lbs that kills things, it's the tissue damage. It depends what he means about dangerous game, to a degree. Taking frontal shots (lengthwise) on a charging animal, you need penetration. The smaller, very fast-moving cats and similar-sized stuff may be relatively man-sized, and lots of #1 could be effective.

Even a heart shot may not stop a wild animal that's intent on killing something with its last breath soon enough to prevent it getting to you and doing some damage. With bigger animals, you've got to get through the skull and hit the central processor. Hence the "USP .45 Super" thread as P-F's official "bear thread." Frankly, I've never seen anyone else writing of dangerous game hunting/backup with a shotgun, even with a tube full of Brennekes.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Whats the general feeling about using slugs for two legged critters?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Classic ft-lb fallacy at work in that quote. It's not the ft-lbs that kills things, it's the tissue damage. It depends what he means about dangerous game, to a degree. Taking frontal shots (lengthwise) on a charging animal, you need penetration. The smaller, very fast-moving cats and similar-sized stuff may be relatively man-sized, and lots of #1 could be effective.

Even a heart shot may not stop a wild animal that's intent on killing something with its last breath soon enough to prevent it getting to you and doing some damage. With bigger animals, you've got to get through the skull and hit the central processor. Hence the "USP .45 Super" thread as P-F's official "bear thread." Frankly, I've never seen anyone else writing of dangerous game hunting/backup with a shotgun, even with a tube full of Brennekes.
    Sure, he's wrong about the why. But as far as hunting goes, he had been there, done that. If he thought 1970's #1 was more effective than 00, I'd be inclined to think he'd seen something to make him believe that. Of course, I don't have that book in my collection, but I do have six other Capstick books. The most memorable mention (to me) of using a shotgun was chasing a wounded leopard thick cover. Dangerous game: yes. Heavy game: no. Since he's done that more than most, I'll take his word for it (if 50% of the books are true, it was a hell of a life). Or it could simply be that any well placed, decently sized buckshot is really effective against non-heavy game. And he was very acquainted with heavy rifles, having been a ranger on elephant culls. I would guess that he's assuming his audience is more savvy about firearms and hunting than is the norm today, and would know the proper time to grab a Model 12 with buckshot vs a .458 Winchester.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Yeah, as I said, mid-size and down cats, I'm all in on the #1. I think I've even run the hypothetical of if I had to deal up close with the mountain lion(s?) that lives on the same island as my parents, the best possible thing to have in my hands would be the 1301 with #1 FC.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

As to the bold sentence, There was a professional hunter killed in Africa a few years ago, following up a wounded lion, when his apprentice fired over the lion and hit him in the chest using a SXS shotgun. The lion had the clients leg in it's mouth as I recall. I don't know if the ammo type was mentioned.

User Tag List