Thread: Crazy Idea for a Vang Comp SBS 20 gauge project gun

Crazy Idea for a Vang Comp SBS 20 gauge project gun

Crazy idea came to mind! What if I bought a 20 gauge moss shockwave. SBS tax stamp it. Have vang comp do the barrel treatment, except no porting because I don’t think that tightens the spread. And then just use regular #1 buck in it.

The main downsides to 20ga I always read are lack of the good stuff like flight control. Well if you have the vang treatment maybe it doesn’t need flight control?

The main reason for this to me is that the shells are smaller so in some kind of survival scenario, you could carry maybe double the ammo idk.

Twist in this idea is not tax stamping and just brace it.but idk how well braces work on shockwaves.

The brace will work just fine BUT - verify that a brace adapter for a 20 gauge exists. I’m not sure they do. Other thing, the Mesa Tactical seems to be the top of the heap for adapters with aluminum threads and no funky drop in the stock like the Ergo brand. Mesa is $90 versus $35 for the Ergo.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you're open to stamping it, I'd look into an old 870 Wingmaster as the base. They're fairly affordable, little more than a new Express. I haven't yet done all the research to understand whether the enhancements that came along for the 12ga are relevant. Heck, you might find that if the barrel bore profile can be made to work at 18.5 inches, it would be a superbly handy little thing without a stamp.

Also, you could go AR adaptor, or maybe fit the Magpul with this: https://www.mesatactical.com/product...s-rem-870.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Leaving aside a brace configuration, the 1301 has made 20 gauge shotguns obsolete, as they are similar in weight, recoil similarly or less, and offer all the advantages of a 12 in ammo development.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I am a dick.

How about a case of buck, a case of slugs, and a class?

Sorry for being a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Crazy idea came to mind!
    Remember when Mom said you could go out to play after you finished your homework?

Well, have you done your homework? Do you have a serious fighting shotgun, and have you taken it through at least one 2 day defensive shotgun class in the 21st century?

Guns are fun. Shooting guns is fun. Not every gun needs to have a practical, serious purpose. But you have to invest time, attention and capital in training and practice before you should allow yourself the "shits-n-giggles" guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Crazy idea came to mind! What if I bought a 20 gauge moss shockwave. SBS tax stamp it. Have vang comp do the barrel treatment, except no porting because I don’t think that tightens the spread. And then just use regular #1 buck in it.

The main downsides to 20ga I always read are lack of the good stuff like flight control. Well if you have the vang treatment maybe it doesn’t need flight control?

The main reason for this to me is that the shells are smaller so in some kind of survival scenario, you could carry maybe double the ammo idk.

Twist in this idea is not tax stamping and just brace it.but idk how well braces work on shockwaves.
    If that's your reasoning, I'd take a 12 gauge Shockwave, instal the OpSol adapter, and use Federal or Aguila mini-shells. Removing the adapter allows regular shells to function.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...rod113616.aspx
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    The brace will work just fine BUT - verify that a brace adapter for a 20 gauge exists. I’m not sure they do. Other thing, the Mesa Tactical seems to be the top of the heap for adapters with aluminum threads and no funky drop in the stock like the Ergo brand. Mesa is $90 versus $35 for the Ergo.
    The brace adapter does exist as Suarez sells braces for the Shockwave. I think it is the Ergo adapter. https://suarezinternational.com/mossberg-braces/

If I was to implement some form of the idea, the 12-gauge Shockwave with its ability to fire mini-shells would be my choice. That way you have access to all 12-gauge 3" and smaller loads. That seems much more flexible than the 20-gauge approach and allows access to the full 12-gauge aftermarket.

That being said, I have experimented with the braced 870 and still prefer the stocked SBS. Yes, the tax stamp is a PITA, but the overall shooting experience is much better with a real stock.

The OpSol thing is actually a thoughtful hack that had not occurred to me. I have one of those adapters and have run less than 20 shells through, albeit with no malfunctions. I had/have concerns about the thing staying put, but that was not an issue in my very limited experience. Recoil is nonexistent with those mini shells.

You know, with the availability of a plethora of other low recoil 12 gauge shells aside from the Flite Control (which is just as fabulous as advertised), there is not a lot of reason to go down the 20 gauge road. I backed into a smokin deal on a 20 gauge 870 recently and wish I had just kept my money.

User Tag List