Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Australia fixed/pocket knife rules

RFI - Australia fixed/pocket knife rules

Taking the family to Sydney for a week, next Tuesday. I know pistols are out of the question, but does anyone have good info on rules for knife carry? We will be in the city mostly, but travel outwards to see zoos, reservations, and such. My two preferred knives I carry every day are a Strider SMF and a TRICON.

TIA,
    Kent

From what I've read, the rule is basically "Don't".

While you can carry a non-locking Swiss army type utility knife in Qld, knife carry without a good reason (to the constable) is usually looked down upon. So, hiking, camping, or hunting would be permissible, but general touristy things would not be.

Google "Australian Knife Laws" for more info.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Thanks, Joe.

I’ve read similar, but was hoping for some other experiences. Undoubtedly, my wife will want to get up close with animals, and my general rule is that if I’m voluntarily close to any creature, I want to be able to kill it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Thanks, Joe.

I’ve read similar, but was hoping for some other experiences. Undoubtedly, my wife will want to get up close with animals, and my general rule is that if I’m voluntarily close to any creature, I want to be able to kill it
    During my regular trips there, I have decided that it's best to not risk it. Despite whatever impression 'Crocodile Dundee' may have left about Aussies and knives, that's really not the case there, especially in NSW.
    Besides, a small folding knife isn't going to be much help against roos or snakes.

However, may I suggest taking a good umbrella? One of the unbreakable varieties, of course.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Thanks, Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think I had this conversation somewhere on PF before, but in my experience Roos outside of tame animal park situations can occasionally be assholes [emoji2]

And God knows Australia has enough other venomous and otherwise dangerous critters. Make sure your family knows to look out for snakes etc.

Lenwood BFT Belt is a good travel companion for places with restrictive defensive tool laws.
    http://www.lenwood.com/shop/belts/bft/

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Lenwood BFT Belt is a good travel companion for places with restrictive defensive tool laws.
    http://www.lenwood.com/shop/belts/bft/

I’m sure that website would look good to a jury...[emoji102]

I’d suggest a good aluminum flashlight, ~5” long. Not for killing animals, but it could be used to strike in a hammer fist orientation if necessary, and of course has increased defensive utility in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    During my regular trips there, I have decided that it's best to not risk it. Despite whatever impression 'Crocodile Dundee' may have left about Aussies and knives, that's really not the case there, especially in NSW.
    Besides, a small folding knife isn't going to be much help against roos or snakes.

However, may I suggest taking a good umbrella? One of the unbreakable varieties, of course.
    My friend's earlobe is split, because someone ripped off her earring while she was visiting her son in Perth. Assholes abound.

Does it rain enough in Sydney in March, that an umbrella doesn't look odd?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post

I’d suggest a good aluminum flashlight, ~5” long. Not for killing animals, ...
    You can kill some animals with a good aluminum flashlight.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My friend's earlobe is split, because someone ripped off her earring while she was visiting her son in Perth. Assholes abound.

Does it rain enough in Sydney in March, that an umbrella doesn't look odd?
    Rain is in the forecast for the rest of this week.

Back to the issue at hand- remember that a lot of the Aussie government has the same view of knives & armed self defense that the English have- you might be better off trying to convince the police that you are the robber instead of the victim.

They would look at you carrying a knife the same way New Jersey looks as someone from outside the state carrying a gun- as someone looking for trouble.

In places like this, it is better to look at alternate tools of defense, especially those useful tools that don't look like self defense tools. Unbreakable umbrellas, walking sticks, flashlights, metal writing pens- the basic test is if the item would pass a TSA check before you boarded a flight.

And in these kind of places, things like situational awareness and the Rule of Stupids (places, times, people) become even more important.

User Tag List