Page 72 of 215 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Economy/Politics Thread

Site Supporter
    Football and basketball have been baked into the college systems as money makers (but only for some) and PR, rah rah - tools for funding raising. Alumni bond with a team and that helps get money out of them. Baseball never took off like that for colleges. I don't know why. Colleges also use major sports teams today to aid in their diversity statistics and the teams are minority members to compensate for the majority kids. Of course you get white kids in sports but proportionally minorities go for the teams. Where they are exploited for the most part.

The boutique sports are also used to recreate elite kids as part of the recreational package. Just going to study in some kind of monastic cell is not attractive. Education is not the goal for some as much as a fun experience. I don't mean to denigrate the solid kids wanting an education, I worked with so many of them. However, I saw enough sports related dilettantes or academic failures because of sports focus to have a jaundiced eye.

When sports kids have separate dorms, special tutors and million dollar training facilities while other kids can't afford books - what are the priorities?

So a true minor system makes sense - but it won't replace the economics of current college sports. March Madness wouldn't work if based on the Mayberry Heifers vs. the Smallville Piglets.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    We are seeing resistance to social distancing with:

1. Conservatives
    2. Various more 'conservative' in the religious sense, worship and religious celebration
    3. Some risk accepting young folks.

If there is a differential distribution of such, that might explain a geographic comment.
    Re: #1 and #2
    This is what I find the most ironic. There are two traits that conservative people supposedly believe in very strongly: self preservation, and preservation of their community.

Social distancing is the #1 thing that would help them and their community survive, and one would think that conservative people would be the most onboard with that. But I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Re: #1 and #2
    This is what I find the most ironic. There are two traits that conservative people supposedly believe in very strongly: self preservation, and preservation of their community.

Social distancing is the #1 thing that would help them and their community survive, and one would think that conservative people would be the most onboard with that. But I guess not.
    There is a politics thread as related to c19 if y'all are not aware. Thanks

This post was from the main coronavirus thread, but probably deserves discussion here:

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    We are seeing resistance to social distancing with:

1. Conservatives
    2. Various more 'conservative' in the religious sense, worship and religious celebration
    3. Some risk accepting young folks.

If there is a differential distribution of such, that might explain a geographic comment.
    Re: #1 & #2

Social distancing is the best way to slow down the transmission of a highly contagious virus in order to not overload the hospital system. Most conservatives would argue that self preservation and preservation of their community rank very highly on the list of issues they care about. So when a viral pandemic occurs, why is it mostly conservatives who are very opposed to the concept of social distancing? This opposition is common in several gun forums I belong to.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    My level of interest in sports other than USPSA is very very low, so I may be missing something obvious here. What's preventing the NFL and and NBA from developing minor leagues like how the MLB has AA and AAA leagues? Get colleges out of the sports business and get them concentrating on
    their ostensible purpose of education. The players would get paid (unlike college players), so they'd probably be happier too.
    The XFL is attempting that. Again.

Long and short of it is tradition. College has always been the strainer that players have to get through in order to make it to the NFL. The NFL isn't comparable to any other sport in the US. It is THE sport in our country.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    This post was from the main coronavirus thread, but probably deserves discussion here:

Re: #1 & #2

Social distancing is the best way to slow down the transmission of a highly contagious virus in order to not overload the hospital system. Most conservatives would argue that self preservation and preservation of their community rank very highly on the list of issues they care about. So when a viral pandemic occurs, why is it mostly conservatives who are very opposed to the concept of social distancing? This opposition is common in several gun forums I belong to.
    Because conservatives by and large don't trust anything the media says.

This isn't due to a conservative being a conservative, it's due to the media being too full of shit for too long.

More the messenger than the message.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    Because conservatives by and large don't trust anything the media says.

This isn't due to a conservative being a conservative, it's due to the media being too full of shit for too long.

More the messenger than the message.
    What media? Plenty of conservatives lap up whatever Fox, Brietbart, Rush and others are pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I think a few dozen hours of community service (livestreamed) of them scrubbing hospital toilets and bathrooms would be a great deterrent.
    What's with all the hate against "Boomers"?

that Trump briefing was absolutely embarrassing. Nice job ending it with an outburst.

Barely tolerating L.L. Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    What media? Plenty of conservatives lap up whatever Fox, Brietbart, Rush and others are pushing.
    And all of those birds have been poo-pooing this pandemic. Then there's the guy who, last month, said that the U.S. had fifteen cases, one death, and that we'd be down to zero cases very soon.

Now that same guy is talking about 100,000 or more deaths and says that he's doing a heckuvajob....
    .30-06, .30-30 and .45 Colt: Because America, bitches.

User Tag List