Page 70 of 215 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 2142

Thread: Coronavirus Economy/Politics Thread

  1. #691
    Site Supporter Nephrology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mountain West
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Some countries are starting to restrict exports of food.

    When this is over, maybe we need a sober, national conversation on what industries and sectors of the economy are essential

    (Fat chance of that happening.)
    Clearly the cruise ship industry is essential, otherwise we wouldn't be bailing them out 🙄

    (I do sympathize with them and know the virus isn't their fault, but vs. hospital systems, state governments, oil and gas industry, airlines... I am surprised they have a seat at the table)

  2. #692
    Barely tolerating L.L. Stephanie B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    SE CT
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Clearly the cruise ship industry is essential, otherwise we wouldn't be bailing them out 🙄

    (I do sympathize with them and know the virus isn't their fault, but vs. hospital systems, state governments, oil and gas industry, airlines... I am surprised they have a seat at the table)
    Rule #1 of politics: Money talks. (So do personal relationships and obsequious flattery.)
    .30-06, .30-30 and .45 Colt: Because America, bitches.

  3. #693
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I thought the cruise ship businesses were excluded from the bailout.
    They are not US based businesses, and therefore have no access to the bailout.

    https://fortune.com/2020/03/27/coron...stry-covid-19/

    Has that changed?

  4. #694
    Site Supporter Nephrology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mountain West
    Quote Originally Posted by wrmettler View Post
    I thought the cruise ship businesses were excluded from the bailout.
    They are not US based businesses, and therefore have no access to the bailout.

    https://fortune.com/2020/03/27/coron...stry-covid-19/

    Has that changed?
    That's news to me. Thanks for sharing.

  5. #695
    Gray Hobbyist Wondering Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Coterie Club
    “An ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.” Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

  6. #696
    Site Supporter BaiHu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In front of pixels.
    I'm case this wasn't posted yet.
    https://youtu.be/JnXzGB170GI

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

  7. #697
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Pointing out the mistakes the administration is making is the most patriotic thing you can do at present time given how much of a catastrophe our response has been. Our testing per capita is still woefully behind, and this is entirely BECAUSE of the fact that we've left it to the individual state governments and not done enough to coordinate at the federal level. NY has their testing shit together, but other states - like mine - do not. Our government spends far more money on healthcare and healthcare research than any other nation in the world, and we're fucking it up really hard. If you don't understand why this is a disgrace, I don't know what to tell you...
    No one in the world knows what will end this virus or how to take care of it. People are only doing what they can with what they have. Trump has called on the best at his disposal to solve this. If anyone in the world has a solution, Trump would listen to him.

    Your "pointing out the mistakes" is nothing but a bashing of what is being tried at this point. Your calling the response a catastrophe is nonsense because no one knows what the proper response is that will end this. And no one knows is something we have done or are doing will have the effect we need. Are they "fucking it up really hard" because no one has found a solution yet?

    At least the administration is working full tilt to remedy the situation. So, tell me, why is this a disgrace?
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

  8. #698
    Charlie the Covid Camel TGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by wrmettler View Post
    I thought the cruise ship businesses were excluded from the bailout.
    They are not US based businesses, and therefore have no access to the bailout.

    https://fortune.com/2020/03/27/coron...stry-covid-19/

    Has that changed?
    My layman's understanding is they are still companies HQd in the US, they just flag ships elsewhere, and thus can use workers from Indonesia/Bangladesh/India/etc on said ships as a routine matter.

    I'm sure the legal breakdown and structuring is more complicated than that.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

  9. #699
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Canton GA
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Pointing out the mistakes the administration is making is the most patriotic thing you can do at present time given how much of a catastrophe our response has been. Our testing per capita is still woefully behind, and this is entirely BECAUSE of the fact that we've left it to the individual state governments and not done enough to coordinate at the federal level. NY has their testing shit together, but other states - like mine - do not. Our government spends far more money on healthcare and healthcare research than any other nation in the world, and we're fucking it up really hard. If you don't understand why this is a disgrace, I don't know what to tell you.

    I don't care who the president is. I am not enamored with ANY of our political parties. I am more concerned with individuals and the mistakes they make, not the party they belong to. I need our country to get its shit together right now and it's not happening.
    Again - we are the United STATES of America. Our system is designed so that the Federal government does very specific things and all other government functions are left to the state or local governments. We normally say that is what we want then whenever some issue comes - yes, this pandemic but also Katrina, etc. - we blame the government. Do we really want an all powerful Federal government modified such that states and local governments are replaced? What happened to local solutions for local problems? If your state or local government is failing - vote them out but lets not open up Pandora's box on putting the Federal government in charge of everything. That is how you get Hunger Games, etc. one day.

  10. #700
    Powder Potentate Borderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Salish Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Again - we are the United STATES of America. Our system is designed so that the Federal government does very specific things and all other government functions are left to the state or local governments. We normally say that is what we want then whenever some issue comes - yes, this pandemic but also Katrina, etc. - we blame the government. Do we really want an all powerful Federal government modified such that states and local governments are replaced? What happened to local solutions for local problems? If your state or local government is failing - vote them out but lets not open up Pandora's box on putting the Federal government in charge of everything. That is how you get Hunger Games, etc. one day.
    Here is the Federal Register Index. There were 257 federal agencies in 2015.


    https://www.federalregister.gov/index/2015

    Being a libertarian myself I agree with your philosophy about this being a republic, states rights and the smaller the federal gov't is the better off everyone will be. But there's a problem here. The fed is posing as the care taker and we get to fund it hugely. Basically I see my federal taxes as going to something worthwhile like medicare, SSI, and a VA pension, all of which I paid for somehow. The state isn't going to give me any of those things because the state doesn't provide a military for the nat'l defense, nor do they pay for my health care or give me some income to live on when I can no longer work. My federal taxes also go to every one of these agencies listed above. If I'm going to pay these infectious disease experts and health care agencies, then maybe they should be initiating some action to provide a defense against a national epidemic that's killing thousands of people. To my way of thinking it's a national defense crises like 911 or Pearl Harbor. The only difference is it's a virus and not a military force. It's going to kill just as many people if not more.

    So does the federal gov't provide a defense or not? If they aren't why the hell are all these people on the payroll? So far it looks like the states are providing all of the resources, or trying, to combat this invasion. Some are doing a pretty good job but some are failing miserably.
    Snubbies.....resolving CQC issues since nineteen fiddy.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •