Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RDS/MOS accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I've been doing my best today to catch up on all the P-F RDS threads. Great stuff, and highly educational!

I recently had Stuart at CZC mount a Trijicon SRO (5MOA) on a CZ SP-01 pistol that was built at CGW. I have some previous experience with earlier model Leupold DPP's and Trijicon RMR's, both mounted on Gen3 Glock pistols (a G34 and a G17) via direct milling by Mark Housel.

This SRO is a completely different game compared to those earlier vintage optics, and although I haven't used the new SRO much so far, it is sighted in and I have done a fair amount of dry firing and presentations from the holster. As soon as it warms up and stops raining/snowing here at my place in north central AZ, it will be time put it to work. I REALLY like the window size on this optic! Will be shooting this combo in IDPA and local steel matches when they start up again.

My next project might be trying a RDS on an EDC pistol, but I have not yet settled on the platform, although I am almost certain the optic will be an RMR, or perhaps a second SRO.

Which brings me to my question, directed at George, but I would certainly welcome feedback from any forum members:

For those of you who have experience with both direct milled and MOS pistols, do you have a preference between the two approaches, and if so, why?

Thanks!
    Really depends on the pistol — what are you considering for EDC?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Really depends on the pistol — what are you considering for EDC?
    Three or four being considered:

CZ Shadow Compact

Glock Gen5 G19

S&W M&P 2.0

CZ P-10C Compact

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Three or four being considered:

CZ Shadow Compact

Glock Gen5 G19

S&W M&P 2.0

CZ P-10C Compact
    Most hammer guns, including the CZ metals guns are a pain to do optics on. The best metal CZ optics arrangement I have used is the optics ready Shadow 2 slide. Ask YVK about his various broken screws and optics plates.

The Glock is the easy choice. Buy a G45 MOS or 19 MOS and start shooting.

I don’t know anything about M&P optics choices.

The P10 optics system is solid, but last I checked, there were not BUIS available.

Thanks for the feedback George. And an apology . . . . didn't realize until this morning that my questions(s) are quite redundant, as I found that this has been discussed fairly extensively in other threads on this forum!

Something isn’t right. Can you try a different optic?
    I only have one DPP. With an SRO, the gun shoots 1.5-2” for me, but I only use aftermarket plates and don’t have a trijicon mounting kit, so I still don’t know if it’s the DPP or the MOS plate.

I did have one MOS plate warp on me on this gun. This is the second plate I’ve used with the DPP, and while it doesn’t appear this plate is warped, I’m not quite ready to blame the optic yet.

Here are pics of the warped MOS plate. The plate was locked down tight despite being warped, although after a 1000 rounds or so it was working itself loose, likely because of the amount of play seen here. When I take the plate off and lay it on a flat surface I can rock it back and forth and it doesn’t sit flush against the surface.
    The gap between slide and plate is circled in red:
    Name:  6FE79A3A-4664-417E-920D-2D4DE53D8FFC.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  31.9 KB

Here I am pushing down on the back of the optic which pushes the plate down against the slide:
    Name:  2518C8F8-C190-41A3-B30C-8C7279F66F9F.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  46.4 KB

Here’s some pictures of groups:

25 yds rested with DPP aiming center of uspsa head box, 4 shots. I didn’t measure but I’d guess 4” at least:
    Name:  F99BE4A9-C171-4E11-A35F-71C5BD3BDD70.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  50.2 KB

25 yds rested with DPP. 2 groups shown here. The taped brown is the first group. These measure 3” and 3.3” respectively:
    Name:  2D1E9DFB-7504-4C33-84D3-522B5B282525.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  29.7 KB

25 yds rested with irons. Same gun, same ammo. This one measures 1.6-1.7”
    Name:  5AB069E6-B5E1-4AD9-BF75-B58DF29CDD40.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  26.6 KB

15 yds standing unsupported with irons, same gun, same ammo. This one measures .775”
    Name:  2FECADED-E0A3-416E-8F02-83AC210FD791.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  32.8 KB
    Last edited by Gio; 04-13-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Based on this additional info, I would toss that plate. If you need a spare, PM me, because I probably have a bunch of DP Pro plates not in use. In the 31 Pros my wife and I broke, maybe only one was having an issue with holding zero. The battery compartment design and holding zero are two of the strongest points of the Pro.

Based on this additional info, I would toss that plate. If you need a spare, PM me, because I probably have a bunch of DP Pro plates not in use. In the 31 Pros my wife and I broke, maybe only one was having an issue with holding zero. The battery compartment design and holding zero are two of the strongest points of the Pro.
    Thanks for the offer, I am going 100% SRO though for competition now, so don't see a need for them at this point. The warped plate was definitely bad, but the pictures of these groups were taken with a brand new/non-warped plate.

Site Supporter
    Damn...Gio is over here flexing with these sub 2" groups from a Glock and irons. [emoji38]

I had my best luck with a Gen 4 MOS and a vortex venom RDS, and even managed to whip out a few A level classifiers with it. I thought that was pretty pimp, so I took my carry gun, a Gen 5 Glock 19, to a smith to get it milled for a RMR. The idea was to carry it and compete with it, so I sold the 17 MOS.

But the dot flickered, even when using a plate and I just never could figure out how to make the G19 work for me. Was inaccurate, the loctite never held and the RMR got launched a ton.

I pretty much decided then that I didn't have the patience to deal with a finicky gun, so I switched divisions from carry optics to single stack.

And that is profound evidence that I'm mentally retarded.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Here is a single data point. I did not properly degrease the screws securing a CHWPS mount on a Shadow 2 Optics Ready slide with a SRO. As a result, the mount came loose, causing play in the optic. I shot it tight, then loose, then after removing the plate and reinstalling everything. The POI never changed and it was shooting 2.5 inch groups at 25 before and after.

User Tag List