Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RDS/MOS accuracy

RDS/MOS accuracy

I got a new SRO last week and installed it on a Glock 34.5 MOS using a CH precision V3 plate. I also have a different 34.5 currently setup with a DPP on a Glock MOS plate.

With my reloads, I had previously been getting 3-4” groups off a sandbag at 25 yds with the dpp. I had been fairly disappointed in this, as I was able to shoot tighter groups with irons on the same gun.

I took the new SRO setup out to zero using the same ammo and was consistently producing 1.5” groups or less at 25. I haven’t jumped into further testing yet, but I’m guessing it’s the MOS plate vs CH plate. However, there are certainly some confounding variables I have to eliminate:
    1. Different guns, and 2. different rds. Previously. When both guns were setup for uspsa production, I was getting the exact same sized groups with irons in the 2-2.5” range.

More to come, but I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed degraded accuracy using MOS plates?

I can't speak to the accuracy difference between the MOS plate and CHPWS plate quite yet....but when the RMR for my G19.5 arrives it'll go on a CHPWS adapter.

As far as ammo goes, I've had very good luck with S&B 124 gr. out of several different flavors of Glocks. Consistent ejection, good accuracy given my fundamentals are locked in, and loaded pretty hot. A co-worker of mine, an avid bulls eye shooter, has been able to put up dream-worthy targets at 25 yards with steel cased Tula 115 gr. Trust me, I know. I had the same hesitancy when he showed me some of the results given the kind of ammo, but he is def on to something after doing some researching.

Interesting thread topic.

However, regarding your particular example, that is too many variable changes to draw any conclusions. Each barrel is its own animal, and the first G34 could be less accurate generally or it could not like that particular load.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I got a new SRO last week and installed it on a Glock 34.5 MOS using a CH precision V3 plate. I also have a different 34.5 currently setup with a DPP on a Glock MOS plate.

With my reloads, I had previously been getting 3-4” groups off a sandbag at 25 yds with the dpp. I had been fairly disappointed in this, as I was able to shoot tighter groups with irons on the same gun.

I took the new SRO setup out to zero using the same ammo and was consistently producing 1.5” groups or less at 25. I haven’t jumped into further testing yet, but I’m guessing it’s the MOS plate vs CH plate. However, there are certainly some confounding variables I have to eliminate:
    1. Different guns, and 2. different rds. Previously. When both guns were setup for uspsa production, I was getting the exact same sized groups with irons in the 2-2.5” range.

More to come, but I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed degraded accuracy using MOS plates?
    I have a bunch of direct milled and MOS pistols, and the only time I noticed an accuracy difference with either type is when the plate or optic was loose. Recently I had a direct milled G14 17 loosen up in accuracy, and the fix was a new recoil spring on the Glock Store tungsten guide rod. While I am regularly surprised by things, barring a defect in that particular MOS plate, I would bet it is something other than the different type plates.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a bunch of direct milled and MOS pistols, and the only time I noticed an accuracy difference with either type is when the plate or optic was loose.
    I was going to mention that.

There is no possible way a difference in mounting systems is going to change your pistol's accuracy unless one of them is letting the sight move around under recoil.

These just came out yesterday. Machines out of steel and basically gives the mos a milled fit.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.co...RMR_p_224.html

As an update on this, I shot the G34 with the DPP again for a couple groups that averaged 4.5." Then I removed the DPP and shot the gun again with irons. I was able to easily get 1.6-2.5" groups off a rest at 25 yds with iron sights. In fact, 2.5" was the largest group size I saw with irons out of about 7 groups, and the average was around 2.1". So this eliminates the gun being a confounding factor from my original post, which leaves the MOS plate or the DPP itself. There was nothing loose about the optic or the plate. I haven't had a ton of free time to sit around experimenting with all the different variables yet, but I'd like to try the DPP on a CH precision plate to narrow it down to the MOS plate or the DPP. I'm also pretty committed to the SRO for carry optics at this point, so this is more "for science."

Something isn’t right. Can you try a different optic?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Interesting thread topic.

However, regarding your particular example, that is too many variable changes to draw any conclusions. Each barrel is its own animal, and the first G34 could be less accurate generally or it could not like that particular load.
    The OP mentioned he was getting the same accuracy out of both guns (2.5”) when they were set up as iron sight guns.

Most obvious cause would be mounting issues, whether the plates or other mounting factors.

The OP is a very seasoned shooter but I wonder if different RDS just work better for some people’s eyes than others.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a bunch of direct milled and MOS pistols, and the only time I noticed an accuracy difference with either type is when the plate or optic was loose. Recently I had a direct milled G14 17 loosen up in accuracy, and the fix was a new recoil spring on the Glock Store tungsten guide rod. While I am regularly surprised by things, barring a defect in that particular MOS plate, I would bet it is something other than the different type plates.
    I've been doing my best today to catch up on all the P-F RDS threads. Great stuff, and highly educational!

I recently had Stuart at CZC mount a Trijicon SRO (5MOA) on a CZ SP-01 pistol that was built at CGW. I have some previous experience with earlier model Leupold DPP's and Trijicon RMR's, both mounted on Gen3 Glock pistols (a G34 and a G17) via direct milling by Mark Housel.

This SRO is a completely different game compared to those earlier vintage optics, and although I haven't used the new SRO much so far, it is sighted in and I have done a fair amount of dry firing and presentations from the holster. As soon as it warms up and stops raining/snowing here at my place in north central AZ, it will be time put it to work. I REALLY like the window size on this optic! Will be shooting this combo in IDPA and local steel matches when they start up again.

My next project might be trying a RDS on an EDC pistol, but I have not yet settled on the platform, although I am almost certain the optic will be an RMR, or perhaps a second SRO.

Which brings me to my question, directed at George, but I would certainly welcome feedback from any forum members:

For those of you who have experience with both direct milled and MOS pistols, do you have a preference between the two approaches, and if so, why?

Thanks!

User Tag List