Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Fixed Blade

Budget Fixed Blade

Hey guys, I want to pick up a relatively inexpensive fixed blade knife for an EDC self defense knife. I'd like to get one cheap enough that I can buy two and convert one into a trainer. Here's the ones I'm considering:

Benchmade Instigator $62.00 for two knives and I love the blade shape, but it's not very ambi-draw friendly.

Cold Steel Braveheart $55.00 bucks for the knife, and I can buy the plastic bladed one and convert it into a trainer for $10... So $65 for both.

Gerber Guardian $80.00 for two knives.

My planned carry position is weak side appendix carry. And I'm pretty flexible as far as modifying handle/sheath to fit my intended use. Can you guys think of any other worthwhile contenders to be added to the list? $80.00 for knife+trainer (or knife I can convert into trainer) is pretty much my budget cap.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Avoid "dagger" double edged knives, too many legal issues with carrying them.

Instigator is $38 on Amazon.
    I added a single belt loop to mine and it makes a great off-side AIWB knife.
    I'm going to use my plasma cutter to make me a stainless trainer to match.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

How is the handle on the Instigator when using a reverse grip? Also, you wouldn't happen to have a few extra of those dot snaps lying around would you?

Also Jody if you have a DWG file of the knife shape you want to cut I can cut it on a water jet... There'd be even less finish work than with the plasma table.

Reverse grip, edge out works good, edge in sucks.
    I just use a hammer grip with my thumb on the spine and call it good.
    Yea, I have several extra straps hanging around.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I added a single belt loop to mine and it makes a great off-side AIWB knife.
    What loop is that and where did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    What loop is that and where did you get it?
    Its the loops Dale Fricke uses for his holsters.
    I just happen to have several spares.

my man, i love knives, but please give me more info. Where are you going to be carrying it? What kind of sheath to you want? What is the biggest blade you want? What is the biggest overall length you can conceal?

I'm not the biggest fan of wharencliff or dagger style blades. I love drop point, bowie, clip point, leaf blades.

I like the SOG Field Pup, ESEE RC 3, ESEE Izula

They're not the cheapest, but Bark River Knives, found @ www.knivesshipfree.com, are really good & they have a wide variety of EDC knives. It's hard to beat their quality for production knives.

Site Supporter
    Have you looked at the KA-BAR TDI? You should be able to get the live blade and trainer inside your price range. The sheath sucks, but there are a number of aftermarket sheaths available.

User Tag List