Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint Acro P1 mounting failures?.

Aimpoint Acro P1 mounting failures?.

Is anyone seeing them?

This came up in a discussion with a podcast host and trainer who saw "a" Acro P1 with the Atei shimsight pop off the pistol the first time he saw one in class. It has afected his view. This is the same set-up I am using on my primary work gun. I'm torquing mine in place using the data that came with the optic.

I'm just curious if anyone else is seeing issues with the Aimpoint footprint.

I have not. I have a P1 that is direct-milled onto a G45. I have put almost a case of Speer 147-grain FMJ through it, and it's currently in the hands of a friend in Kentucky. I think he's got about 900 rounds through it?

I just texted him, to see if he has had any problems with it. His response was to offer to trade me his Wllsonized Beretta Vertec. Again.

I guess that means no.

What podcast and trainer if I may ask?

Have you reached out to ATEI to see if he heard about the incident and if there are other examples of it happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Is anyone seeing them?

This came up in a discussion with a podcast host and trainer who saw "a" Acro P1 with the Atei shimsight pop off the pistol the first time he saw one in class. It has afected his view. This is the same set-up I am using on my primary work gun. I'm torquing mine in place using the data that came with the optic.

I'm just curious if anyone else is seeing issues with the Aimpoint footprint.

@Erick Gelhaus, I'd be concerned if it was a slew of trainers and not what sounds like to be a sample of one. Additionally there could be many reasons for failure, more than likely it is user error. Personally, I'd mostly be concerned about battery life because screw changing batteries every 30-60 days. I am not trying to be snarky but the sky isn't falling because one trainer doesn't like what he saw. If he is unaware of the circumstances surrounding the failure I would be questioning his judgement particularly if he is jumping to conclusions and putting all ACRO's in the same basket. Fair warning, since I have no frame of reference this post it is worth what you paid for it. Actually, double since my wife brought me home a huge bottle of Woodford Reserve and I seem to have fallen face first in it tonight. To be moderately helpful I'd look at NickDrak's post about mounting optics he seems to be having great luck, (and made an excellent tutorial) as does GJM, well at least with mounting, not so much with battery life, or optic life but; in all fairness he seems to shoot a metric shit ton.

I was curious if there had been others. If there haven't been any others, then it's what I figured it was ... end-user error. Sometimes though, you have to ask to see others are seeing what someone says drives their decision against something.

Thanks.

Solid point, I'd still check out NickDrak's thread if you haven't. I've found it very helpful.

The only issue I've seen with ACRO mounting failures was an MOS plate dying on him with the factory B&T mount and screws. Happened to Steve Fisher and sort of happened to me too. It wasn't the ACRO screw that failed, however, it was the screws B&T provided to mount the adapter plate. Evidently CHWPS has their own mounting plate design now, which Fisher switched to off the B&T plate, but I frankly fail to see any difference between the two.

I personally had my B&T mount plate come loose in the first 400 rounds or so with my ACRO, at which point I pulled the screws and replaced with fresh Glock MOS plate screws. The screws that had come loose broke shortly after while I was toying with them in my hand, suggesting they were brittle to start with and I made the right call in pulling them, but, again, not a failure of the ACRO mount itself.

I have 7455 documented rounds on my ACRO without a mounting failure. I am using an Aimpoint MOS plate with McMaster-Carr M3 screws (94414A712) instead of the provided hardware. Vibratite VC-3 on both M3 screws and the Aimpoint crossbolt. All torqued to 18 in-lb. Full disclosure, the optic did need to go back to Sweden because of moisture incursion so the optic was dismounted at 5205 rounds but the mounting solution listed before has been solid.

Site Supporter
    Try these screws as an alternate to OEM for Glock MOS:

Arizona Industrial Hardware part #M3C6KF67Z , M3 X 0.5 thread, 6mm length; aihfasteners.com

McMaster-Carr part #94414A712 , M3 X 0.5, 6mm length; mcmaster.com
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Question

Has anyone tried the Tango Down Aimpoint ACRO MOS plate? It is made of steel, that is melonited and has vibra-tite treated screws in the package. And it is reasonably priced at $29.99.

User Tag List