Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training with an air pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    When I dry fire the sights do not move. When I live fire my 9mm, well that is a different story. And then there's recoil that I have to control.

Thanks,

Randy
    None of which will be helped by a pistol that has almost no recoil.

My suggestions are for you to improve your strength in your fingers, wrists, arms, shoulders, and chest; and to improve your grip technique with the aid of a coach and the firing of full power ammunition.

You also need to get rid of that anticipation flinch.

I have a Glock and an STI Airsoft. The Glock didn't fit my holsters but it is fun anyway. Here's a fun video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pE728I7370

I enjoy shooting often. And it has taken years to develop the point and shoot skills I have acquired. Eye muscle to mind skills IMO need to be done often and on a diligent schedule. You can argue that a Air Pistol is not the same thing as a gun that will recoil, but IMO recoil is nothing but coming back to the target and moving your eye and hand back on that target or another target as fast as possible. Maybe it does not work for you, that is fine. But here is a fact, he sure works for me. During the ammo shortage, I went to the Air Pistols on a regular basis. Actually because of the convenience of a range in the back yard and one in the garage, I was shooting almost daily. When I returned to shooting the powder burners, I was amazed at how much I had improved. Shooting targets daily, from multiple tin cans, to shotgun shells to throwing cans in the air and shooting them. Shooting over and over at a cost much less than even a 22.cal. For me, it works and it works well.

I also love shooting air rifles, here is a past time that I love. I call it wind shooting. I take a day with a slight breeze and my goal is to shoot the center vein of a leaf. It takes a lot of patience to find the precise time that you can release the trigger.

Folks,

Thanks so much for all your help. To save money, I just started shooting a Ruger LCP II .22. The trigger press is about the same as my 9mms, and there is some recoil. With the .22 I'm still shooting to the side, so I am still suffering from the same shooting defects - jerking the trigger, milking the gun - but the gun is small and I can't grip it the way I can grip my CZ and Glock. Also, I don't like the sights. But shooting .22 ammo is a lot cheaper than shooting 9mm, and I am finding the Ruger challenging to shoot. (With my target .22 Mark III I was dead on. I guess the trigger press is much lighter, and there is no recoil, so I didn't feel I was improving when I shot it.)

Randy

Have you thought about buying a 22LR slide conversion kit for your CZ?

http://shop.cz-usa.com/SearchByKeyword?word=kadet

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Have you thought about buying a 22LR slide conversion kit for your CZ?

http://shop.cz-usa.com/SearchByKeyword?word=kadet
    Seconded. Same trigger, better training value.

I have a BB pistol that stands in for my Beretta 92. Trigger is not exact, and of course there is no recoil. But from the draw to the BB hitting the target I think it is very good practice. No recoil to control but I can do it in the basement all winter long for peanuts. You just have to find one that actually works like a real gun. In my case, one version has a silly little cylinder that holds 8 pellets and the CO2 cartridge fits into the grip. The good one has the CO2 cartridge in the magazine which also holds 18 BBs. It is near identical in weight and size to a stock magazine. The slide cycles and the safety works.
    Last edited by CraigS; 03-11-2020 at 06:44 AM.

Cool

Just switch to a dvc-p in 9mm.

Dry fire and live fire will be the same recoil.

Kidding. Sort of.....

Never thought of buying an adapter. I will certainly look into it.

Randy

For the sake of the existance of Recoil with the airsoft GBB, i no longer dry fire much my handguns.
    I use the recoil of the GBB to TRACK the front sight and have it return consistently on the target naturally.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

User Tag List