Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record number hold Minnesota gun carry permits

Record number hold Minnesota gun carry permits

The number of gun carry permits in Minnesota totals more than 301,000 -- a record number that has nearly doubled since 2014, according to a report. Minnesota sheriffs reported issuing 51,404 permits in 2019, according to the state Department of Public Safety’s annual tally of gun permits.
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/record-nu...permits-report

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

MN law on the subject is pretty reasonable for a blue state. Take a class to prove you're at least paying lip service to understanding the legal issues, prove you can shoot safely and accurately to your instructor's satisfaction, pay the fee ($100 for new permits, $75 for renewal), and move on with life. Sure, I could live without paying for a class and then paying the state for permission every 5 years, but it could be a lot worse.

The law changing MN to shall issue from "you can have one if you know the county sheriff" passed pretty recently, I think it was 2005. The number of permit holders increases every year, which I think makes sense given how recent the law is and the fact that the state population increases every year. I believe that every year since the law passed has been a record year for total number of holders. Not really sure what the point of the story is...

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    The law changing MN to shall issue from "you can have one if you know the county sheriff" passed pretty recently, I think it was 2005. The number of permit holders increases every year, which I think makes sense given how recent the law is and the fact that the state population increases every year. I believe that every year since the law passed has been a record year for total number of holders. Not really sure what the point of the story is...
    Not sure either, but it seems to me from observation that states that are (a) shall issue, and (b) hit a ratio of permit-holders higher than 1-in-20 people, get special attention from the anti-gun organizations. This may be battle space prep.
    We have just had red flag laws, UBCs, and a few other "safety" laws pass the state house this week.
    (These laws might well die in the senate, but the MNGOC is making *a lot* of noise right now to get the pro-2A politicians to hold the line.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Not sure either, but it seems to me from observation that states that are (a) shall issue, and (b) hit a ratio of permit-holders higher than 1-in-20 people, get special attention from the anti-gun organizations. This may be battle space prep.
    That’s a really good observation. I ran WA state’s reported permit numbers against our population, and came back with almost 1 in 12. Clearly, the anti’s can’t be having any of that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    That’s a really good observation. I ran WA state’s reported permit numbers against our population, and came back with almost 1 in 12. Clearly, the anti’s can’t be having any of that.
    Yep, about 8%. I think I saw a breakdown by county awhile back and that number popped up for my county. The fact that WA is one of the easiest states to get a permit will forever generate legislation and/or initiatives to get it changed. I recently talked to some people who are pretty clueless about guns and when I told them how easy it was to get a permit they had a hard time believing it. Until there's some unified federal licensing requirement and 100% reciprocity I don't see any reason to change it. But that will never happen.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Excellent!

Ohio looks to be 1 in 18, glad to have a part in that.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Does Senator Amy's Uncle Dick, sitting in his tree blind - waiting to kill Bambi - have a permit? The world want to know, Amy. Did you discuss permits with Uncle Joe and if you become VP (oh, please, please) how you will get rid of them in favor of shooting a double barrel shotgun in the air or through the door?

I'd like to see at the debates (well, now only the Battle of the Geezers) if they support concealed carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Does Senator Amy's Uncle Dick, sitting in his tree blind - waiting to kill Bambi - have a permit? The world want to know, Amy. Did you discuss permits with Uncle Joe and if you become VP (oh, please, please) how you will get rid of them in favor of shooting a double barrel shotgun in the air or through the door?

I'd like to see at the debates (well, now only the Battle of the Geezers) if they support concealed carry?
    Honestly, it really isn't an important issue for congress or the exec. Most states handle it just fine. People with permits to conceal are less likely to commit a crime than the police. It's a pretty clean crowd. In this state they run a very thorough background check.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List