Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 14.5 Pinned and welded vs 16

I have not found a BCM 14.5” to have ammo issues, suppressed or unsuppressed. But, I don’t shoot low power loads like PMC Gold.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Im looking at the same uppers and I’m curious what the OP decided on and how it worked out.

Also, a long time ago it was common belief that 14 middy guns were more ammo finicky than 16 mids. Does anyone know if that is still true? Thanks
    Physics doesn't change.

Some 14.5" midlengths have more margin for error than others by way of gas port sizing. If you're concerned about reliability with weak .223 (Tula, Brown Bear, Wolf, etc), then you just need to be choose what sized gas port to go with for a 14.5" middy.

Otherwise it's not an issue.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Physics doesn't change.

Some 14.5" midlengths have more margin for error than others by way of gas port sizing. If you're concerned about reliability with weak .223 (Tula, Brown Bear, Wolf, etc), then you just need to be choose what sized gas port to go with for a 14.5" middy.

Otherwise it's not an issue.
    Sounds like you’ve spent a lot of time developing some expertise in the physics of DI ARs. Maybe you could share a cliffs notes version of where the BCM falls on the spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Sounds like you’ve spent a lot of time developing some expertise in the physics of DI ARs. Maybe you could share a cliffs notes version of where the BCM falls on the spectrum
    My BCM 14.5" middy ran beautiful with quality 223 and 5.56. Not so much with notoriously weak, cheap Russian ammo. Obviously if you're shooting suppressed then it's going to be gassed fine no matter what you feed it.

IIRC, BCM's midlength gas port diameter is .076" for both 14.5 and 16. Most 14.5 middies have somewhere from there to .081". I wouldn't call it finicky with ammo.....I'd just refrain from acting like a poor person and stoke it with non-garbage quality ammo.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

14.5 Pinned and welded vs 16

My BCMs have always run fine with any steel or brass that I’ve tried and I’ve had several throughout the years. BCM used to be on the conservative side of gassing, but the trend has been smaller gas ports so BCMs are about average now. You shouldn’t see any difference between 14.5 and 16. Personally I strongly prefer a 14.5 mid.

DDs I think are now .72 to .73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been buying 14.5" mid-length uppers for our work guns for several years. We only run full power 5.56 ammo through them and they have run 100%.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Having owned both 14.5 and 16-inch BCM middies, I've settled on the 16. I like screwing around with muzzle devices.

My current 16-inch mid-length uses an A5 RE with the A2 buffer, it runs 5.56 loads and .223 75 grain Gold Dots like a champ. Smooth shooter for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Having owned both 14.5 and 16-inch BCM middies, I've settled on the 16. I like screwing around with muzzle devices.

My current 16-inch mid-length uses an A5 RE with the A2 buffer, it runs 5.56 loads and .223 75 grain Gold Dots like a champ. Smooth shooter for sure.
    I seem to come across this combination frequently. 16 inch BCM mid-length and 75 grain Gold Dots. Just like I see, "Glock 19 and 147 HST". How long have you used your BCMs?

Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    I seem to come across this combination frequently. 16 inch BCM mid-length and 75 grain Gold Dots. Just like I see, "Glock 19 and 147 HST". How long have you used your BCMs?
    75gr GD is also my defensive load. The dedicated HD gun is my oldest BCM, a 14.5 ELW-F mid with original KMR, but I zero all of my optics with the GD so my MK18, KAC Mod 2 carbine, and a custom upper with BCM ELW BFH barrel have all shot a few rounds of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    My BCM 14.5" middy ran beautiful with quality 223 and 5.56. Not so much with notoriously weak, cheap Russian ammo. Obviously if you're shooting suppressed then it's going to be gassed fine no matter what you feed it.

IIRC, BCM's midlength gas port diameter is .076" for both 14.5 and 16. Most 14.5 middies have somewhere from there to .081". I wouldn't call it finicky with ammo.....I'd just refrain from acting like a poor person and stoke it with non-garbage quality ammo.
    I have an older 16" BCM middy, from 2008 if I recall correctly, that doesn't like steel cased ammo. My understanding is that they have opened up the gas port in the newer models.

It never bothered me because I run my reloads and have never had an issue with them.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List