Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition Bad Habits? Do any exist? Competing Anonymously possible?

I shot a classifier at 66% yesterday. I wish I was shooting anonymously...

I wouldn't recommend creating an alias. At least, I wouldn't go to a match and introduce myself under a fake name. The competition community a relatively closely knit one, and a lot of things are based on trust. There are obviously assholes and cheaters everywhere but most people I've met were good honest folks. I wouldn't join that club under any name other than mine.
    Firearms competition is an explicitly public activity with use of guns. I've had my patients and colleagues bump into me as I was moving my shit between the stages (one of the local clubs utilizes a public range). If strict anonymity is required, the only answer is not to come.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

We have had some 3 letter agency folks, among others, who needed to compete anonymously. This should not be a problem--just talk to your match director.

Competing can make you much better at shooting, and also much better at gun handling, stress management, and so much more. You will make the most progress if you take some classes and read good books on the topic.

Learning to fight with a gun requires specialized training, so you should supplement your competition with that, and unarmed combatives training as well.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

All I have to say is that I feel sorry for anyone who needs to live a part of his life in the shadows afraid of what others will think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    All I have to say is that I feel sorry for anyone who needs to live a part of his life in the shadows afraid of what others will think.
    I can't speak for the OP, but for me, there are two considerations, and neither one has to do with being afraid of what others will think:

1. I have a known threat in my life, and I'd prefer not to have that person be forewarned that I'm armed.
    2. For the blue voters in my life, it's not that I'm afraid of what they think so much as that it's a lot easier to not have to get into lengthy arguments about something which I simply cannot budge on and which I feel that they're very unlikely to understand. I choose to compartmentalize that aspect of my life and avoid the topic with people who won't understand it.

I think the benefits of competition outweigh the negative aspects. For IDPA in my area we get scores in spreadsheets we can download. I consistently place just below the top 3rd overall. What I'm driving for is being the shooter in with the least "points down" and I'm usually somewhere in the top 5 when you sort the results that way and I've had a few #1's (least points down.) That isn't to say speed isn't something to strive for. We have a young guy from 10th SF that comes out occasionally and watching him run the stage is like watching a Mamba stalking prey -Smooth and Fast!

"You'll be able to time me with a sundial"
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

As for the photo thing, don't sweat it too much.
    It is very doubtful that your Left leaning friends are diligently searching through the public photos of various club shoots, trying to identify people they know. If you don't FB like or tag the photos, they will probably be none the wiser.

Besides, people wearing a cap, safety glasses, and earmuffs tend to look alike. If you can set aside a 'competition outfit' a different style shirt & hat from your normal wear- that may also help lower the possibility of inadvertent recognition.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

A few years ago, when the Air Marshals were a big thing, we had a bunch of them shoot a State level USPSA match on SO day. I don't remember if they had names on score sheets or not, But they weren't in the published results. They were all solid A or B Class shooters from their scores.

Here, let me make this simple for you @Sanch:

Believe me no is going to find out you were at a match unless you put it out there.
    You're not going to get any "training scars" from shooting a club match.

Hope that helped

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    2. For the blue voters in my life, it's not that I'm afraid of what they think so much as that it's a lot easier to not have to get into lengthy arguments about something which I simply cannot budge on
    A simple "fuck off, not interested in your opinion" also goes a long way

Site Supporter
    You'll only get people taking videos or photos of you shooting without you asking them to if you're really good.

Otherwise you actually have to ask dudes to take video of your stage run because you don't have nut huggers.
    [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List