Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition Bad Habits? Do any exist? Competing Anonymously possible?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    There are a lot of things that shooting USPSA properly (to win, since it is a game) inclines one to do that would be a bad idea in a fight. I don’t think there’s much wrong with shooting a monthly match to win, since if you have the ridiculous amount of time it takes to participate in even a club match then you should have no problem doing stuff right in practice at a 2-5x rate, and it should all work out.
    Fair point.

But when Tom Givens leans in and says “Stop looking at your feet, that’s a bad idea if someone’s trying to kill you.”, well, it makes one ponder that might not be the best thing to do.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I have one.

Normally before a stage run, I stare at the ground and only look up at the ‘Are you ready?’? I’m running my stage plan in my head.
    I suggest you make ready then look up, clear your mind of all thoughts, and instead focus on what your first move to a target will be.

Running your stage plan in your head that close to the start signal easily puts you behind the curve when the timer sounds, as your mind will mostly likely be on something other than making that move to engage the first target

The time to rehearse the stage plan should end when you step up to the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The point I’m arguing is the one that I made. OP asked if there are any habits that could be bred in competition that may not be suitable in an SD shooting. I gave him my opinion on the only two I could think of. Just as you said, USPSA has nothing to do with actual use of cover. Therefore it’s possible that good USPSA habits regarding cover/obstacles would build bad SD habits for the same principles. That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If humans had the capacity to recognize a situation for what it is and adjust their reponse to it..........................oh wait....

Competition Bad Habits? Do any exist? Competing Anonymously possible?

Quote Originally Posted by AGR416 View Post
    And as I am trying to explain to you, that has nothing to do with competition skills giving you "training scars", it has to do with being poorly trained for self-defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    If humans had the capacity to recognize a situation for what it is and adjust their reponse to it..........................oh wait....
    Do it enough, and it’ll become a habit if you don’t actively fight it. I don’t think every hour of competition requires three hours of SD training to make sure you don’t get kilt in da streetz, but I guarantee you can build that in as something that you unintentionally do.

If you honestly think that you can completely separate your gaming techniques from SD tactics, you’re either one hell of a problem solver or you’re a bit ignorant.

Do it enough, and it’ll become a habit if you don’t actively fight it. I don’t think every hour of competition requires three hours of SD training to make sure you don’t get kilt in da streetz, but I guarantee you can build that in as something that you unintentionally do.
    Do you mind me asking what makes you so absolutely sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Do you mind me asking what makes you so absolutely sure?
    Common sense? Humans are habit forming creatures. You’re saying that if you do something four to six times in a day, and you repeat that once or twice a month for several months without anything to oppose it, it won’t become a habit?

Common sense?
    I wonder why there's a good number of tier 1 trainers who compete, competed in their younger years, and/or recommend their students do so?

If you honestly think that you can completely separate your gaming techniques from SD tactics, you’re either one hell of a problem solver or you’re a bit ignorant.
    "Action shooting sports are a tremendous benefit to any shooter. They were actively encouraged and supported when I was at JSOC for that very reason. We weren't worried about someone coming back with bad habits. The only habits they were going to come back with were good shooting habits. ". - Mike Pannone

"Though there is no instant solution to shooting well, I truly believe that the illusive shortcut is in competition" -Pat Macnamera

https://youtu.be/N_BwbEz8CU4
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 03-15-2020 at 08:28 PM.

I believe that Frank Proctor calls your position "weak sauce"

ETA just in case you would need his CV:
    About Frank Proctor Shooting

I served over 20 years in the military and the last 16 of those in the US Army Special Forces. In 2004 I attended SFAUC- Special Forces Advanced Urban Combat Course. I knew then that being a better shooter would be a life long passion. In between deployments and other duties at Group I was and assistant instructor for Combat Marksmanship, CQB, Breaching and the Sniper program. I later became the NCOIC for the Sniper program and Primary instructor for Combat Marksmanship. During that time I had the privilege to serve with and learn from some great dudes.

In May 2007 I started competitive shooting and found out what I didn’t know about shooting! I started shooting a match almost every weekend and when I failed at something I would work on it during the week so I could see an improvement the next weekend.
    https://www.frankproctorshooting.com...ctor-shooting/

User Tag List