Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose to Charging Handle / Optimal Carbine Stock Length?

NTCH has never worked for me, whether shooting irons or a red dot, squared up, bladed, or whatever kinda position I'm in. I feel like I'm crammed up with the stock in too far or forcing my head forward with the stock in a comfortable position. I'm not tall either, 5'10", with regular length arms, but I have wide shoulders.

I run my stock in the number 5 position on guns that have the A5 setup, which would be one position in from fully extended on a regular carbine extension.

Stock should be positioned so that you can maintain similar cheek weld regardless of shooting position. Prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, barricade, etc.

I prefer my nose being on the CH but I would never correct a good shooter for doing otherwise. We're all built differently.

If you're talking position (high power) type shooting, that's a whole other ball of potatoes.

As one who has had a Badger Ordnance Tac-Latch hooked in his nostril, the mere mention of NTCH brings back painful memories... LOL.

Nose to charging handle worked well for me for a lot of years, when I was running iron sights only.

I haven't run a gun with irons only for a long time.

Now I'm more concerned that I have a consistent placement of my face to the stock. The length of the stock to accomplish this can vary depending on the weather and amount of cloths I'm wearing. And if I'm at work wearing an external carrier or on my own time and wearing a T-Shirt.

For me, the ability to adjust the length of my stock is important so long as I am living in a four season environment.

When I was an instructor, we taught new trainees they could use "touching to two fingers width distance from the CH" however, we didn't recommend NTCH. We were using M16's and later A2's. As was mentioned before, people come in different sizes so the whole point was to get consistent cheek weld and eye relief while still being able to effectively use the aperture sight system (proper sight alignment / picture). Those are good starting points for most to work within. Personally, I never shot with my nose touching the charging handle but I am very consistent with where and how I set my face on the stock.

Prob a dumb question but why is consistent cheek weld important when using an aimpoint? I would think close enough that you can see the dot is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Prob a dumb question but why is consistent cheek weld important when using an aimpoint? I would think close enough that you can see the dot is fine.
    Parallax is a real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Parallax is a real thing.
    Id encourage anyone that shoots a red dot to test that for themselves. Zero the rifle and then shoot for groups at 100 yards with the dot floating in each quadrant of the optic and see what happens.

Seeing the dot quickly, in various positions, while transitioning, and while moving is not a given. Cheek weld helps a lot with this.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I grew up using nose to charging handle and still use it. I'm not saying it's ideal but it is an LCD solution for consistent cheek weld.

As far as length, I like the stock as short as it can be while still allowing me to hit prone. With a six position receiver extension, I end up running two notches out without plates and all the way in with plates.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List