Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: snub caliber Q

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    From my perspective it is a gun you carry when you think you do not need a gun, so if you do not need a gun and you are carrying it, it must not be a gun, or something like that
    That's it... A gun you carry when you can't (or won't) carry a real gun.
    It's also a good backup option with a real gun... Not many of us can or will carry a pair of real guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I was getting ready to shoot the 3 handgun Masters back in 1987. A local gunsmith was helping me and he'd already chopped it. This was either before Ruger offered a 7" or about the same time. I did buy a 10" the next year for the one handed precision event and had the barrel slab sided. I'd only asked to have it fluted but was talked into the slab siding which the gunsmith later regretted. It was stainless and I think he went through way more bits and time then he charged me for. For some reason the stainless was much harder to mill then a blue steel barrel. I wound up shooting a Smith and Wesson model 41 that year. What I really wish I'd done was when the chopped ten was offered, I passed on a 5 1/2" barrel with a Witchita Rib on it. I often wished I had that one later when we began shooting alot of bowling pin events at our club. With it, I could put 5 rounds into a quarter as fast as I could shoot it at about 7 yards or so.
    That's good stuff.

I recently found a MK II 10" and snatched it up. Great shooter.

About a week after I found that my brother found the 7" tapered. Same deal. Those two lengths can be tough to find in shops nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    That's it... A gun you carry when you can't (or won't) carry a real gun.
    It's also a good backup option with a real gun...
    Eggzactly!

Site Supporter
    ETA: I just reflected on how much stuff I have bought as alternative to the J-Frame, including several Kahrs and several Shields, and I keep coming back to the J-Frame because of weight.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but weight is only one of the factors. I started with a Sig 290 9mm, then a couple Kahrs, then a Glock 42. Sold all of them.

My other two main factors are:

1) comfort for appendix carry - hammerless / bobbed hammer revolvers are just much more comfortable than most autos

and

2) slickness / ease of draw out of a pocket holster when used a backup or in dress clothes.

User Tag List