Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: snub caliber Q

The trouble with the SP101 is it is really kinda heavy for the ankle or pocket. Thus eliminating two great carry methods for a “Rule 1” gun. They are also too heavy to do the slip-on appendix holster and gym shorts thing with.

You have to get down around 16oz or less to make them work in all of those roles.

Which means if you want a 9mm gun the Ruger LCR is your Huckleberry.

-

Let’s talk about 9mm vs. 38 Special for a minute -

If you own another .38 Special revolver, you can buy an Airweight J-frame, which is a bit smaller than the LCR in most dimensions and load it with 148-grain wadcutters. You have other .38s so you should have WCs on hand in general.

If you do not own another .38 revolver - don’t start now - when the 9mm LCR will do everything an Airweight J can do, except it’s an ounce or two heavier and a wee-bit bigger.

The only things I don’t like about the LCR is the slightly bigger size, the stock grips from Ruger (too sticky for pocket carry) and that the 9mm guns need a different height front sight from the .38/.357 guns.

If I had zero revolvers and was starting out today the 9mm LCR is what I would get.

I admit I am a bit biased, but I think the 9MM has the most utility. That being said, most shooters would likely prefer a traditional .357/.38 Spcl. "snub". Were I looking for a current production 9MM snub, I'd sure consider one of the Ruger LCRs. Light weight and very smooth DA trigger. FWIW, the .22 rimfire revolvers tend to have a heavier mainspring to endure reliable ignition of rimfire ammo. A neighbor bought his adult daughter a .22 LCR. He said she couldn't pull the trigger. He traded it back in, and got her a centerfire LCR with a lighter trigger pull.

As to ammunition, the most popular centerfire pistol cartridge on the planet has vast array of ammunition types available. And 9MM ballistics from 2"-3" revolvers are more impressive than many might realize. It might seem counter-intuitive, but using the same ammo the little 2"-3" revolvers produce velocities comparable to 4" semi-auto pistols.The down side is that those ballistics produce recoil that is not quite as gentle as might be hoped.

I never particularly cared for compact revolvers, but have owned and carried a few along the way. The little revolvers are just very practical for concealed carry IMHO. I have .38 Spcl. revolvers, but like the 9MM snubbies too. I have a S&W 940 and Ruger SP101 in 9MM. I agree the SP101, even in 2" form, is a bit heavy....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I lived in a rural part of Montana for ten years and my LCR in 22LR was a constant companion. From September - March I was in the field at least three days a week and the one handgun I always had was my LCR. I admit that I laughed when they first came out but gave it a try regardless. In the field I'd put it in a Fobus paddle holster and it is so comfortable to carry I'd usually forget I had it on. In town, I'd just put it IWB using the clip I attached to it.

Trapline? Forgetaboutit.

Snakes? Yep.

Gopher? Of course.

Bored and want to shoot a rock? Here you go.

Cottontails? All day.

And you know how everybody has a bunch of stray 22LR rolling around their floorboard or stuck away in an old ziplock bag? The LCR is great for cleaning those up.

I taught my son and my wife to shoot DA with it and I don't think I've ever let somebody shoot it that didn't run out and buy one that same week.

I would never be without one.

Thanks, all!

A quick summary thus far...

1. OP
    2. 9mm (but .38/.357 really)
    3. .38/.357
    4. .38/.357 (9mm, if limited to the original two choices)
    5. good reasons for either
    6. .22
    7. 9mm with green CT
    8. .22 (but .38/.357 really)
    9. a visual question
    10. an affirmative answer
    11. 9mm (OP has zero revolvers)
    12. 9mm (but probably .38/.357)
    13. evidence for post #6

...has 9mm ahead of .22 by a score of 5-2, if limited to those two choices, but with the caveat that moon clips can be problematic.

What's interesting is that .38 got 5 votes as a better choice than either, with quotes like "Common things are common for a reason." and "I understand not wanting to futz with adding another caliber if you’re using exclusively 22LR and 9mm now. However, a snub revolver that can chamber 38 Special is so extremely useful that I cannot imagine being without one. That makes it worth stocking the extra cartridges to me."

Looks like another P-F Clue!

If "kit gun" is up there on your needs, .22. Yes, it's crappy for self-defense, but odds of blasting bunnies and squirrels are about 1000 times likelier than a self-defense shooting. And you will do a lot more shooting.

I don't much like .38 +p 125 grain out of Airweights, I doubt I would like 9mm at all. (Somehow, I am fine with low-end .357 out of steeel j-frames) .38 would be better than 9mm, IMO.

If you are handloading, I would argue for .32 H&R mag. More shots and lower recoil than 9mm, and fine for kit gun duties, adequate for self-defense.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I recently made my choice after going through a very similar and painstaking decision. My choices were 9mm vs 38/357 vs 327 in a LCR or SP101. S&W is a nogo for reasons. It came down to ammo availability, cost, commonality and a very subjective, the 357 is loud and obnoxious. For these reasons 9mm won out along with the lighter LCR to meet mission requirements. Moon clips weighed on my decision but with past experience with a M-25, I find the right moon clips are very durable. Just like mags I will have a set of "carry only" clips and the rest will be regulated to training. I have been carrying 3 moon clips daily for a durability test. One each from TK Custom, Speed Bees and Ruger loaded with 147 FMJs. They have been carried in pants, jackets, murses and the door pockets in the truck and they get shot once a week and inspected for damage. I have only bent a Ruger clip and it was fixed with the needle nose on a Gerber tool. I expected the recoil to be more than what is actually there so that is a good thing. I can get through 200 rounds before I call it quits. The only mod I have done is file the finger groove down because my fat fingers was on top of it and I will probably change out the front to the XS dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    What's interesting is that .38 got 5 votes as a better choice than either …
    However, a snub revolver that can chamber 38 Special is so extremely useful that I cannot imagine being without one. That makes it worth stocking the extra cartridges to me.
    AndOhByTheWay, when you go shopping the more common 38s are cheaper than either of your two proposed options.

ETA: 9mm is interesting to me, more for the ballistics than the compatibility, because I will always reload for 38. But it seems like the ballistics might fall into the sweet spot of being more than the 38 without being silly in a short barrel like the 357. I also think the 357 snub problem is more a problem with commercially available ammo, but that is probably a different thread.

Love the LCR9mm

Love the LCR99. No problem shooting 40 moon clips each session. Great ballistics, moon clips are so easy to use. Recoil for me is this side of pleasant before going harsh. I think this topic was in more detail on another thread. Might want to check that out.

The LCR22 is one fantastic trainer and a whole lot of fun. And one thing about recoil, the more you shoot them the more you become immune to it. The LCR99 is not a hard gun to shoot. Performs exceptionally well.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=lcr+9mm

Here's a review of the 9mm LCR. The ballistics are surprisingly good--comparable to a 3" auto because of the added freebore in the 9mm cylinder.
    http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...t-9mm-for.html

I have had zero issues with Speedbeez moonclips.

EDIT: :-) looks like @Old Virginia beat me to the same post by a few seconds!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    when you go shopping the more common 38s are cheaper than either of your two proposed options.
    Not tracking here...

Are you saying .38 is cheaper than 9mm and .22?

User Tag List