Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: snub caliber Q

snub caliber Q

Decided (with help here) to get a snub for the outstanding job it does in the "not-a-gun" role.
    Wondering about caliber though: If you were going to standardize on .22 or 9mm, which do you think has the most utility?

In the .22s favor:

9mm
    • Accepted/legit SD round
    • And…?

9mm snubs sound like they are handful, unless you go with something heavier like an SP101, which starts to drift away (in size and weight) from the “not a gun” mission.

Thoughts? What else should I take into consideration?

CALIBER WAR!

Pass on .22 (presume you mean LR, but same for magnum) in a self-defense role for ballistic and reliability reasons. Yes, .22 can do the job, and I'd take it over a spoon, but there's a reason virtually no one who has options chooses it for SD -- it's just far less likely to produce the desired effects versus, say, service calibers (which as we all know are already anemic in their own right, so why further handicap).

And rimfire ammo is notoriously less reliable compared to factory manufactured centerfire. Again, why handicap?

Of your choices, 9mm is to me a no-brainer. (But in a revolver I'd go .38/.357 so you aren't dependent on moon clips or more complicated extractor systems. Just sayin' ).
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Neither.

Get a 38 or 357 (just stick to shooting 38s). Common things are common for a reason.

If I was going to stray from that I’d get an LCR in 327 magnum, but I prefer j frames so I stick with 38/357.

I had a 9mm Ruger LCR, it was quite snappy. The .38 has less kick and is a lighter gun plus you can use speed strips which are easier to conceal.

If you're dead set on .22 or 9mm, get the 9mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    9mm
    • Accepted/legit SD round
    • And…?
    IMO your question is based around two non-optimal choices, but neither of them are worse than the option of nothing.

Does "And?" mean you might have a bunch of other 9mm pistols and keep ammo around?
    If we are talking LCR (there is no J-Frame current 9mm option) then they are heavier, the 22 and 38 LCRs are molded around aluminum and the 357 and 9mm are molded around stainless.
    ETA: If you have a bunch of experience shooting 357 and 44 revolvers, getting the 9mm would be more optimal.

I dunno about your experience level, but the 9mm in my limited experience was not that sporty, but interesting. Also, if you put the bigger grip from the 3" LCRx on one (they are cheap) they would probably be nice. Bigger than pocket carry, but lots of other NAG options. I like the 9mm LCR idea, and might get one.

And would you shoot either of these more than if you got a 38 (assuming J-Frame or LCR)? You would be, IMO, better off with a 22 that you shot a thousand times than a 38 you shot ten times.

With the 9mm you either have to screw around with moon clips or screw around with pushing the spent cases out with a pencil.

A big aspect of this decision criteria would be if there is a major focus on pocket carry. If so, it probably precludes a larger grip on the LCR and you might not want 9mm with a small grip. With a 22 LCR it would be fun, and could be justified if you shoot a bunch. If you are only going to familiarize yourself with it then you would be better off with the 38.

I also like the S&W 317 3", you can put a little bigger grip on it like the Altamont Bateleur, and have a very light compact fun gun that you could practice with till you were in the position to make a subsequent decision, and it would carry easily, just not in a pocket.
    ETA: weight is IMO a big aspect of NAG portability. the 3" 317 only weighs 11.7oz. The J-Frame 22s have aluminum cylinders.

Another aspect of this is if this is a transition, or the last one you will ever buy. You could get a 22 and decide in a few thousand rounds if you want a 9mm or 38.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-07-2020 at 07:38 PM.

22LR in a snub has an immeasurable amount of utility.

Probably one of the most versatile firearms ever produced.

When Mrs. CF agreed to carry a gun on our trip to Alaska, we got her an LCR 9mm and added a green CT laser grip. She doesn't love shooting, or guns. But she shoots this little gun really well. Recoil with 147gr HST or Ranger isn't awful. It's not something you want to put 100's of rounds through in one session, but it's fine.

I like that there is readily available, vetted defense ammo for this gun. It can take ammo from a speed strip for a reload after ejecting a moon clip.

Also, if you reload, you can load up some puppy loads for practice that are very nice to shoot.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I flat do not like moon clips. I’ve had more than one moon clip gun. Never have kept one of them long. I’ve promised myself no more moon clip guns. It’s just more of a pain in the ass than I like to deal with.

I do have a 22LR a LCR and a 3” 22LR LCRx. They’re mostly trainers and kit guns for me. That said, I had a spell with some pretty extreme low back pain where I carried the 22 LCR for about a week. It was the lightest thing I had and it didn’t exacerbate the already severe pain I was in. Once that cleared up I went right back to my normal setup of PX4CC and 357 LCR (loaded with 38s)

So between 9mm and 22LR, I guess I’d go 22LR. Really though, I’d either get a 38 or a 357 loaded with 38s. I understand not wanting to futz with adding another caliber if you’re using exclusively 22LR and 9mm now. However, a snub revolver that can chamber 38 Special is so extremely useful that I cannot imagine being without one. That makes it worth stocking the extra cartridges to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    When Mrs. CF agreed to carry a gun on our trip to Alaska, we got her an LCR 9mm and added a green CT laser grip.
    Like these?
    Name:  Like These.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  64.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Like these?
    Name:  Like These.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  64.1 KB
    Exactly. The green laser is daylight visible.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List