Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: snub caliber Q

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    ...I'll add that the 9mm relies on expansion, and the bullets are designed to expand at auto-pistol velocities, most likely from a 4" barrel. A 2" revolver is going to give up a lot...
    A bit like directly comparing Farenheit and Centigrade without conversion there. Autos have barrels measured right up to the breech face. Revolvers have it measured to the rear of the forcing cone. That 2" LCR is actually around 3.5" if comparing to an auto. My .22 LCR just gave me a 3.48" reading with the depth probe on my calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I’ve gone in pretty deep on j frames in the last year.
    Me too, they are so cute I want to collect the whole set!
    Seriously, they come in different configurations, and I set them up with different grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    If the 442/642 had better sights I don’t think there would be nearly as much interest in the scandium guns.
    I agree, and did this to a couple of them:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post850035

I hate to ask this so late in the game, but what is "not a gun" actually referring to? Does he mean a gun for fun and not for daily defensive carry?

If that is the case, I whole heartedly would vote for a .22
    Once I started shooting, I quickly started reloading. Then came the .22 and oh the joy of not spending all evening in the basement reloading. Then there was cost. I'd hardly notice the expense of a box of .22s, but back in the day when money was very tight, a box of even .38 reloads meant damaging a very tight budget. If I'm not mistaken, during the depression, even .22s were used sparingly.

Like the military, small .22 rounds let you carry many more and much less weight. And they are FUN also.

If sheer enjoyment is what you are looking for, the .22 can't be beat.

I can't help you much with choosing a model. My .22 was a 7" Ruger MKII which once was a 10"
    The only .22 revolver in the house is an old H&R my father in law gave me. It has thin, fine old sights and he always bragged about how accurate he was with it. I've shot it some, but not nearly as much as my other handguns.

The snub I carry regularly is an old 3" CA Bulldog that has been polished and reblued and shoots and carries very well. If I wanted more accuracy and more range, I'd go a bit bigger, but I'd be happy with it out in the woods. They are known as great snake guns with shot rounds. Bigger for the woods would probably be my 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt with a SBH hammer and action job.

I do regret not buying a 9mm LCR one day. I looked at it at a lgs and it had the nicest, smoothest, lightest trigger of any of the LCRs I handled. I came close and was sorely tempted, but at the time I hadn't researched it and hesitated. I'd be happy to carry one with the rounds in the moon clip for rapid ejection, keeping the clips in new condition for this purpose. Not sure what I'd use for reloading yet, and there is the problem. There are a few systems out there but I haven't needed to look at the seriously yet. But that doesn't seem to be your question anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post

I can't help you much with choosing a model. My .22 was a 7" Ruger MKII which once was a 10"
    You chopped a 10"?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This thread has prompted me to decide to buy a 9mm LCR...

I want to do some side-by-side testing between the LCR, 642-2, and the 2.5" 638 I have and we'll see what happens.
    Name:  burns.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  34.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This thread has prompted me to decide to buy a 9mm LCR next time I'm at the crack...err gun...dealer.

I want to do some side-by-side testing between the LCR, 642-2, and the 2.5" 638 I have and we'll see what happens.
    I’m actually carrying mine tonight. Dinner out at a fancy place downtown Portland AKA Zombieland.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m actually carrying mine tonight. Dinner out at a fancy place downtown Portland AKA Zombieland.
    How are you carrying it?

snub caliber Q

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How are you carrying it?
    Edited again because I couldn’t decide. I’m carrying it IWB in a Dark Star.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-13-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I hate to ask this so late in the game, but what is "not a gun" actually referring to?
    From my perspective it is a gun you carry when you think you do not need a gun, so if you do not need a gun and you are carrying it, it must not be a gun, or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    You chopped a 10"?
    I was getting ready to shoot the 3 handgun Masters back in 1987. A local gunsmith was helping me and he'd already chopped it. This was either before Ruger offered a 7" or about the same time. I did buy a 10" the next year for the one handed precision event and had the barrel slab sided. I'd only asked to have it fluted but was talked into the slab siding which the gunsmith later regretted. It was stainless and I think he went through way more bits and time then he charged me for. For some reason the stainless was much harder to mill then a blue steel barrel. I wound up shooting a Smith and Wesson model 41 that year. What I really wish I'd done was when the chopped ten was offered, I passed on a 5 1/2" barrel with a Witchita Rib on it. I often wished I had that one later when we began shooting alot of bowling pin events at our club. With it, I could put 5 rounds into a quarter as fast as I could shoot it at about 7 yards or so.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 03-13-2020 at 10:27 PM.

User Tag List