Thread: Thoughts on Glocks for Home and Range/Class - 45 MOS vs 34 MOS

Thoughts on Glocks for Home and Range/Class - 45 MOS vs 34 MOS

I have recently returned to the Glock fold after a while carrying and training with a HK P30SK LEM. After all was said and done, I just don't run the HK as well as a Glock.

I went back to Glock because the timer and my scores tell me they just work better for me. Couple that with the release of the Slimline variants, which work better for me for carry, and the availability of the SCD, and, well...it was just a no-brainer. So, I have ended up carrying a 43X. I am thinking about getting the slide milled for a PMO, and even getting a Glock 44 for less-expensive practice.

Since coming back to the Glock system, I am looking for a larger, more-capable pistol for use as my bedside gun and to run in classes. I will run the 43X in classes too (and train/have fun with a G44 if I pick one up), but something with greater capacity which is also a bit easier to shoot for extended sessions seems in order.

I am considering the MOS versions of the 45 and 34 for this role. I would like to get a PMO (looking hard at the Trijicon SRO) and a light (thinking something Streamlight) for this pistol. I considered a non-MOS model and getting it milled, but I think the MOS is the better solution for me at this time.

What do people think about these two compared to each other for my stated purposes? Any pros or cons I should pay particular attention too? The 45 appeals because it is like the "bigger brother" to the 43X, and a shorter slide may be easier for me on the draw in classes and at the range due to a slightly bum shoulder. The 34 appeals with the longer slide giving a potential ballistic advantage (although use of a PMO negates the typical sighting advantage of a longer slide), and perhaps is a better fit if I get into local pistol competitions.

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions. Now have at it!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCRooster View Post
    I have recently returned to the Glock fold after a while carrying and training with a HK P30SK LEM. After all was said and done, I just don't run the HK as well as a Glock.

I went back to Glock because the timer and my scores tell me they just work better for me. Couple that with the release of the Slimline variants, which work better for me for carry, and the availability of the SCD, and, well...it was just a no-brainer. So, I have ended up carrying a 43X. I am thinking about getting the slide milled for a PMO, and even getting a Glock 44 for less-expensive practice.

Since coming back to the Glock system, I am looking for a larger, more-capable pistol for use as my bedside gun and to run in classes. I will run the 43X in classes too (and train/have fun with a G44 if I pick one up), but something with greater capacity which is also a bit easier to shoot for extended sessions seems in order.

I am considering the MOS versions of the 45 and 34 for this role. I would like to get a PMO (looking hard at the Trijicon SRO) and a light (thinking something Streamlight) for this pistol. I considered a non-MOS model and getting it milled, but I think the MOS is the better solution for me at this time.

What do people think about these two compared to each other for my stated purposes? Any pros or cons I should pay particular attention too? The 45 appeals because it is like the "bigger brother" to the 43X, and a shorter slide may be easier for me on the draw in classes and at the range due to a slightly bum shoulder. The 34 appeals with the longer slide giving a potential ballistic advantage (although use of a PMO negates the typical sighting advantage of a longer slide), and perhaps is a better fit if I get into local pistol competitions.

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions. Now have at it!
    There is minimal ballistic difference between a 19/45 and a 34. As noted with a PMO sight radius is not a factor.

It’s really going to come down to how the gun cycles and tracks in recoil for you. The shorter slide has a shorter “arc” in recoil and comes back to POA quicker for me. the shorter slide is lighter and better able to stay within it’s functional window with the added weight of a PMO.

For a defensive use gun, even a nightstand use, you will want to run stock recoil springs. Many find the G34 with stock springs has a “dip” when returning to battery. Competition shooters overcome this with lighter springs but I would not want to run lighter springs in a defensive gun.

A G45 would also give you the option of running a comp and still being the same overall length as a G34 - meaning you can easily source holsters.

I currently have a 45 MOS and a 19x with 19MOS slide. They are consistently faster for me than longer slide PMO guns.

Could just split the difference with a 17 MOS...

I like long slides for running hot rounds/hunting/long range stuff but there isn't really much of a point if you will be throwing some typical 147 HST and cheap fmj in there for house use and classes.

User Tag List