Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 Glock 19... to MOS or not to MOS?

Gen 5 Glock 19... to MOS or not to MOS?

So its old dead horse beating time... I believe this has been hashed out a bit before, so bear with me.

I'm in the market for a Gen5 Glock 19. I've never owned a red-dot equipped pistol yet, but I'd really like to dip my toe into the MRDS equipped pistol world. I'm trying to decide between hunting down an MOS model, or just buying a regular slide version and eventually having it milled sometime in the future.

I understand the MOS mounting system isn't as robust as a direct milled mount, and that there really isn't a standard mounting system set for such things on pistols as of now. I also understand there are some better mounting options than the OEM glock MOS plate out there, and a new one from Forward Controls that should be dropping this weekend. Being able to revert back to a basic iron sight gun, seems like a good option, if MRDS pistols are not for me. The MOS models should be somewhat "future proof" ... as Glock has wide acceptance and market share in the pistol/MRDS world, and MOS probably isn't going away soon. Glock "warranty" would stay in place vs a milled slide. If something like the Noblex/Dr Optic Glock MOS sight comes out that is lower profile, but durable (and actually works), but also direct mounts to a MOS gun without the adapter plates, I'd love to take advantage of that. I had high hopes for that sight, but it seems they had issues, and the window is very small.

The flip side is MOS guns are ( so far, locally) harder to find in stock, and command a higher price. The difference is enough of a wash that having a slide milled for a direct mount RMR or the like would not increase the cost so much that I couldn't swallow it. The bad news with milling the gun is you are stuck with whatever optic you chose, and you wont be able to switch easily unless they share a footprint. You also don't get a cover plate that you can slap back on if you decide the optic isn't for you. Glock may, or many not cover a modified gun under warranty. The mounting would be more sturdy, with fewer screws to come loose, and the height over bore and related BUIS issues are less (though the market seems to be pushing out a lot of "MOS" height sights).

I'm not really one chase the latest and greatest optic/tool/gadget (apologies, Tom), but I do appreciate the advantages of a dot sight equipped gun, having used Aimpoints on my carbines for a long time now. If the concept works for me, I likely will not be changing things unless it offers some significant upgrade over whatever I end up with. I'd like to utilize it as a carry gun once vetted. I may shoot it in Combat Optics (if I ever get back into USPSA), but gaming isn't a big consideration for me. If it works, it'll be carried and shot.

So... what are your thoughts on buying an MOS a a way to "future proof" your Glock purchase? Are the advantages of direct milling enough to sway you that way, particularly for a carry gun?

Take a look at Agency Arms AOS. I have several milled slides, and also wanted a future proof system for my latest slide. Very happy with how it turned out, but be prepared for a 12 week wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    Take a look at Agency Arms AOS. I have several milled slides, and also wanted a future proof system for my latest slide. Very happy with how it turned out, but be prepared for a 12 week wait.
    Mac Defense offers something similar and has a shorter wait time
    https://www.macdefenseindustries.com...ate-p166238440

Futureproofing your optic via milling is a sound option, I would take it over the MOS which like you mentioned, has a fair share of problems.

My only hangup with aftermarket solutions like the AOS etc... is that they are one source systems. If the company dries up and blows away, I can't easily switch, if new parts/plates are not available.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    So... what are your thoughts on buying an MOS a a way to "future proof" your Glock purchase?
    This is the exact reason I went with a 19.5 MOS for my first RDS Glock. I feel the sight technology is far from mature, and in ten years we have a good chance of looking back at the RMR and its footprint as being as quant as an Aimpoint 2000 seems now.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I went with the G19.5 MOS specifically with the plan to use the C&H Precision Weapons System V3 mounting plate. The RMR sits slightly lower on the slide, and the plate has more thread engagement for the included optic mounting screws. Also, no sealing plate needed. I'm really happy with the V3 plate.

Name:  IG_20191213c.jpg
Views: 8123
Size:  35.4 KB
    Name:  IG_20191213a.jpg
Views: 11246
Size:  58.7 KB
    Last edited by BrazeauRacing; 03-06-2020 at 07:39 PM.
    Chuck Brazeau

I went the MOS route

As a new entrant also, I’ve done a lot of research and the best solutions for now all seem to be milled slides from the various well known fabricators for the specific optic. I decided to order a blue label Glock 45 MOS with an RMR 2 as a safe Option to test the waters before I dive deeper with expense and specific choices. I may add the FCD plate and ameriglo 429s as well. Wondering how they’ll adapt optics to work B92s as it all evolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat6 View Post
    As a new entrant also, I’ve done a lot of research and the best solutions for now all seem to be milled slides from the various well known fabricators for the specific optic. I decided to order a blue label Glock 45 MOS with an RMR 2 as a safe Option to test the waters before I dive deeper with expense and specific choices. I may add the FCD plate and ameriglo 429s as well. Wondering how they’ll adapt optics to work B92s as it all evolves.
    I'm a Beretta fan, but I don't think making an optics ready 92 is a big priority for them. The only way I can see this happening is an aftermarket slide that is compatible with B92 frames and barrels. Not sure how they would design the FPB on the 92 to be compatible with optics but maybe somebody will figure out a design.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFries View Post
    I'm a Beretta fan, but I don't think making an optics ready 92 is a big priority for them. The only way I can see this happening is an aftermarket slide that is compatible with B92 frames and barrels. Not sure how they would design the FPB on the 92 to be compatible with optics but maybe somebody will figure out a design.
    Yeah, Langdon has been burning up slides trying to figure this out on 92s -- he's got comments on it somewhere on the forum.

I went the MOS route after reading the huge thread on it in the red dot forum (pinned at top). Follow those directions and you will find a robust system.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....worked-for-me)

It seems the CHPWS plate is what most folks have settled on, and what I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Newportl View Post
    I went the MOS route after reading the huge thread on it in the red dot forum (pinned at top).
    Yeah... I've been pouring over that, and other info I've dug up. I'm fairly certain I want to go the MOS route at this time... but I can't shake the feeling that fewer parts and simpler is probably better for reliability, considering I want to carry it.

User Tag List