Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weak 40 ammo

The lightest .40 I have shot is still quite snappy in a sub 27 oz. gun..I find most .40 just tolerable in a G22.

This caliber has ruined most compact and smaller guns up till now because they are built around .40 pressure and recoil instead of 9mm. (so their bigger than necessary)

Around here .40's have little trade in value especially small ones.

If it is going to be used for real stuff then a 9 is the "weak" load you are looking for.

For practice, the Federal Syntech 205gr Action Pistol load is extremely pleasant to shoot for a .40. It's about the nicest factory .40 out there that I can recall.

I have found the Barnes TAC-XPD to be a soft shooter in the 40 Shield. 140 grain all copper bullet @ 1120 FPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For practice, 180 gr Federal Champion, either brass or aluminum cased; the propellant charge is the same. Best, Jon

What about the practice loads in purple brass I see for sale from time to time? Is that stuff loaded lighter?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Any chance of throwing a comp on the gun? .40 seems like an ideal caliber for that.

Quote Originally Posted by donmacc View Post
    I have found the Barnes TAC-XPD to be a soft shooter in the 40 Shield. 140 grain all copper bullet @ 1120 FPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Solid advice.

There are also mid range Gold Dots and Hydrashocks in the 165gr flavor.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

If you can find someone who handloads, there are lighter .40 loads that shoot very soft and accurate. My favorite is 5.4 grains of Ramshot Silhouette with a 180 grain bullet. My Glocks love that load. It runs about 850 fps.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

If you can find any, Federal Syntech Defense Ammunition 40 S&W 175 Grain Synthetic Jacket Segmented Hollow Point might work. 175-grain bullet at 1000 fps for 389 ft-lbs of energy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What about the practice loads in purple brass I see for sale from time to time? Is that stuff loaded lighter?
    I don’t think so. Others with more experience with it may have a different perspective on it, but all of it that I have seen/used has come from Federal LE contracts, and it didn’t seem particularly light or different than standard 180gr SD loads - But it is lighter than the nuclear 165gr loads no one uses anymore.

I’ve had 3 .40s in my possession and shot a few more, and I’ve found that while I can shoot .40 just fine, I tolerate it at about the same level as I do a similar size/weight .45 ACP, which is much more than I can tolerate from an Airweight Jframe .38, but much less than I can a similar size/weight 9mm or steel .38.

Hence, I mostly shoot 9mm and .38 in centerfire, and plan to work a lot more with .22 this year than in the last few.

User Tag List