Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weak 40 ammo

Weak 40 ammo

This isn’t going to be the thread you expect. I’m looking for weak-ish ammo to use in a little gun, chambered in that caliber. It’s a handful now, and I thought maybe lighter ammo would suit it (me) better. I’m ok with it not being a super performing SD load. Just something milder and reliable/accurate

Any ideas?
    Last edited by theJanitor; 03-06-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Long ago, I had a KelTec P40. Full strength ammo was brutal. However, 135 gr low recoil HydraShok were pretty mild. However, "poor performer" would be putting it mildly.

Do you reload? You can roll exactly what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    This isn’t going to be the thread you expect. I’m looking for weak-ish ammo to use in a little gun, chambered in that caliber. It’s a handful now, and I thought maybe lighter ammo would suit it (me) better. I’m ok with it not being a super performing SD load. Just something milder and reliable/accurate

Any ideas?

Remington's 180 grain Golden Saber has shown to be relatively low recoil when I've played with it.

Isn’t “weak .40” redundant?

I’ll show myself out now...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Isn’t “weak .40” redundant?
    It is if your wrists are still intact. Unfortunately, that's not the case with a bunch of the retired LEOs on this forum.

Gotta wonder when it changed from "Short & Weak" to "Snap & Whip"?

Try one of the ~1000fps 165gr rounds, over the years there were several offered for both carry and practice. The 165 GDHP FBI variant is one. I've also seen some downloaded 155-165 FMJs at the reman places, perhaps Georgia Arms, but it's been many years. Someone may still have such a load.

The 140gr Barnes TAC-XP from BHA is also pretty mild as 40s go, and may be worth a try for you: http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-...-smith-wesson/

.40 in a little gun doesn't give you a lot of options, and as you download ammo reliability starts to drop off too. Best answer is a 9mm transition, but I hope this helps.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It is if your wrists are still intact. Unfortunately, that's not the case with a bunch of the retired LEOs on this forum.

Gotta wonder when it changed from "Short & Weak" to "Snap & Whip"?
    I get it for sure! Other than recurring carpal tunnel my wrists are still (relatively) OK but my hands can't take the pounding of baby .45s anymore and all my .40s are FS pieces.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Winchester Train and Defend is the PDX1/Ranger Bonded 180gr bullet at very mild levels, still expands well down to looowww velocity. They are even milder than the 165gr reduced loads...only about 162PF vs Win and Speer's reduced 165gr loads being 172PF. Plenty for purpose with a really soft impulse. Same thing with the 9 version and tiny pistols.

Only bad thing, "Defend" doesn't come in cheap 50rd boxes. Available locally all over the place though.

Not wanting to step down to a 9mm?

User Tag List