Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Makes It?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That's enough for me to conclude it's Winchester. Browning's ammo line is all Winchester with a different box and maybe nickel cases, AFAIK.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The Browning 124-grain hardball I got in 150-round boxes from Academy has the same headstamp.
    Dang, now you’re making me think. I bought a bunch of that stuff and it mostly has the Browning logo on the head stamps, but one box had about half of a different one. I think you might be right, but that was a couple months ago. That sucks because that Browning stuff is one of two kinds of ammo that consistently fails to extract in the two pistols I shoot most.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    That's the box it came out of. Trying to sort out who makes it now. Used to be S&B, but now it's in a new box with this headstamp and "made in USA". It's loaded fairly hot, especially for house branded ammo.
    The Browning 124-grain hardball I got in 150-round boxes from Academy has the same headstamp.
    FWIW, this stuff chronographed at 1090 fps from my 4" PX4. That puts it in the same ballpark as S&B/Fiocchi/Magtech/Independence with the same weight bullet, and warmer than Blazer Brass, American Eagle and PMC Bronze. I've only shot the ten rounds over the chronograph; the other 290 rounds (plus about 600 rounds of S&B 115-grain hardball) will be used in a class I have coming up in a couple of weeks.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Dang, now you’re making me think. I bought a bunch of that stuff and it mostly has the Browning logo on the head stamps, but one box had about half of a different one. I think you might be right, but that was a couple months ago. That sucks because that Browning stuff is one of two kinds of ammo that consistently fails to extract in the two pistols I shoot most.
    WWB consistently fails to extract in the only gun I have that has that issue. I've only ever had one round from another manufacturer do it in that gun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Was told by a Cabelas feller that Winchester has the new contract loaded to Cabelas' specs.

Have not tried any...was very happy with previous loadings.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, this stuff chronographed at 1090 fps from my 4" PX4. That puts it in the same ballpark as S&B/Fiocchi/Magtech/Independence with the same weight bullet, and warmer than Blazer Brass, American Eagle and PMC Bronze. I've only shot the ten rounds over the chronograph; the other 290 rounds (plus about 600 rounds of S&B 115-grain hardball) will be used in a class I have coming up in a couple of weeks.
    That's pretty consistent with what it netted me, and is quite on par with pretty much any other the other 124's I've run over the chrono. The Herter's 115 is quite a bit hotter than the majority of 115's.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    WWB consistently fails to extract in the only gun I have that has that issue. I've only ever had one round from another manufacturer do it in that gun.
    I think I've only shot a hundred rounds of WWB, and it didn't generate any issues, but that doesn't say much. The Browning and Federal Black pack have given me any number of fails to extract in both the M9 and 92 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Was told by a Cabelas feller that Winchester has the new contract loaded to Cabelas' specs.

Have not tried any...was very happy with previous loadings.
    It was definitely good stuff when it was S&B. I'm hoping this is as good, it's occasionally priced right.

User Tag List