Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Kydex? Some old school Blade-Tech

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Vintage Kydex? Some old school Blade-Tech

I was talking to an old friend about some time we spent together working in a gun store during our college years. He asked me if I still had my original Glock 17 that I carried way back when I told him I still do and still shoot it often. I pulled the gun out of the safe, made sure it was empty, and then handed him the gun. We then stated talking about holsters and what we carried in back then. I was an early Glock Sport/Combat holster guy and everyone used to give me a hard time for using that "Cheap piece of crap". Bringing that back up, I went into my holster bin and found my original S/C holster which I still use as well. Then he asked if I still had my Blade-Tech holster. I dug around a bit and found out that I did.

I am not sure of the exact date I the holster was given to me, but I got it from a customer who worked for US Customs. He was tactical long before tactical was cool. I am not sure how he found all his cool stuff but was dialed into the best gear often long before it was available or even known to the general public. One day he came in with a sack full of Blade-Tech holsters. No one had ever seen a real kydex holster before so it was pretty unreal. Most of the customers were hesitant however he sold everyone of the holsters he had. Being a lefty, I was intrigued, but was resigned to the fact that I would be odd man out again. As he got to the bottom of the bag, he pulled out one of the last few holsters and threw it over to me. We had shot a bunch together and he knew I was a lefty. When he was picking up the holsters, he managed to have a lefty made or at least remembered to get one for me. I was in awe and very thankful. I will admit that it was much faster than my S/C although most of the older guys could not get used to the "plastic holster". So here is a few pictures of my Glock and the Blade-Tech holster from back when kydex was considered science fiction.

Attachment 49532Attachment 49534Attachment 49531Attachment 49533

Another Customs guy here. That looks exactly like my old Ky-Tac holsters from Dave Elderton...middle to late 90's vintage.

Still have them for Glock 19 and 26 but they won't accommodate the Trijicon sights.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I have two of those, both straight drops. One is for my G21 and the other is for a G19. I much prefer that belt loop treatment/design. The current offerings replaceable belt attachment systems are inferior in my opinion.

Dave

Site Supporter
    I have a couple of old straight drop blade techs. I really liked those holsters for the range. I should dig them out

I have several of those from back in the good old days. Nobody will make them that way anymore because the kydex cracks at the top of the loop where it folds over.

Site Supporter
    I shot fairly well this past Sat at a local IDPA match using some old school BT Kydex for my G34/G35.

I concur that it is only a matter of time before the loops crack.

I had some Comp-Tac from about that time. They hand made 'em and wrote the model with a vibratory engraver the same way. My Gen2 17 and everything is looong gone though.

Be very careful with old kydex. I saw a guy ND because of a kydex holster that cracked and tripped the trigger when he tried to reholster it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Nobody will make them that way anymore because the kydex cracks at the top of the loop where it folds over.
    I believe you they crack, but the basic design is still available from a few makers.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I believe you they crack, but the basic design is still available from a few makers.
    Could you tell me who still makes them? A PM is OK. I was looking for one a while back.

Makes me feel old to see original Blade Tech gear called "old school".

Good stuff. Always loved their gear. They were local to me, got my first holster from them direct back when they were in the business park on 104th and Steele in south Tacoma.

Still got 3 rigs of theirs. They still get used some. Good stuff.

2nd gen G17 is a modern classic too! Gonna have to go get mine out again...it turned 30 years old last month. Highly trusted gun, been through alot with me.

User Tag List